Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 993 3.6 guys...how do you adjust idle?, I want to raise the idle speed on my 3.6
nine14cats
post Dec 18 2005, 11:28 AM
Post #1

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Group: Members
Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

My track car with the 3.6 in it idles around 750-800 RPM when warm. I want to raise the idle to 1000 to 1200 RPM to make engaging the 4 puck clutch/lightweight flywheel easier and also to take care of a harmonic reasonance with the car itself. There are several aluminum panels fabricated in the interior that just rattle like hell at the lower RPM's. You raise the RPM's over 1000 and it's nice and quiet in the cabin. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

On the motor end there is a pin on the throttle lever but no provision for "tightening" or "shortening" the throttle cable, just a fitting at the end that doesn't adjust. Do I take up the slack on the gas pedal end to change idle speed? Or do I make some homemade circlips to shim the engine end of the cable?

I don't see any other idle adjustment screw on any part of the motor.

Thanks,

Bill P.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Dec 18 2005, 12:04 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,461

If I remember right the idle is set by the chip in the DME, to access it you need the Bosch Hammer, I've seen them go for about $2k on ebay. If you have the lightweight flywheel, you might have to get a new chip burned. They go for a couple of hundred.

The 964, 993, 996, etc engines controls are all electronic, not much you can do at home. I'm not sure about the carb'd 3.6 engines, probably need to remap the DME chip for them.

On my 3.6 RSA, I just take it to the shop, there just isn't anything I can do at home with any of it. Stock idle is 800-850, no way can I change that with a mechanical adjustment.

Good Luck, Don
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 18 2005, 12:08 PM
Post #3

Thanks Don,

It looked like there wasn't much adjustment. Unfortunately, in the race class I plan on participating in, we are not allowed to touch the factory chip at all, absolutely no mods.

I will fabricate a simple shim from what I can see.

The wonders of computers.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Series9
post Dec 18 2005, 12:12 PM
Post #4

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

You would have the reprogram the chip.
+Quote Post
East coaster
post Dec 18 2005, 06:44 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 487

how 'bout fakin' it into thinking the A/C is on, doesn't that bump up the r's?? Your 993 engine was setup for A/C, prolly just have to ground or tie up a line to the DME.

Just a guess, mine's not running yet! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Flat VW
post Dec 18 2005, 06:57 PM
Post #6

Illegal Soapbox Derby Racecar

Member No.: 3,105

QUOTE (East coaster @ Dec 18 2005, 04:44 PM)
how 'bout fakin' it into thinking the A/C is on, doesn't that bump up the r's?? Your 993 engine was setup for A/C, prolly just have to ground or tie up a line to the DME.

Just a guess, mine's not running yet!  :confused:

resourceful,

John
+Quote Post
Tom Perso
post Dec 18 2005, 07:03 PM
Post #7

Crazy from the Cold...

Member No.: 1,003

Yup, I agree with the A/C compressor set to "ON". That should put you to 1K RPM.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

Tom
+Quote Post
fiid
post Dec 18 2005, 08:03 PM
Post #8

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

nice idea!!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 18 2005, 08:04 PM
Post #9

Very nice...I'll have to take a look at the harness....

Thanks,

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Series9
post Dec 19 2005, 12:45 AM
Post #10

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE (East coaster @ Dec 18 2005, 05:44 PM)

Just a guess, mine's not running yet! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

He's right. That should help.
+Quote Post
MattR
post Dec 20 2005, 01:57 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589

Here are some thoughts:

1) small vaccum leak. 993s are notorious for having a puncture in the vaccum lines that cause nagging idle problems. To check this, break out the starter fluid and start spryaing. If you hear the idle go up, locate the leak, and fix it. It could also be after a check valve or something. Give it a visual, and if nothing comes up, break out the vaccum gauge and get dirty. It will take a little while...

2) idle stabilizer. Those also get jammed up. Try whacking it with a wrench, revving the engine, and seeing if that helps once it settles. Sometimes when they are on their way our, that helps.

3) You could try plugging into a PST computer and see if any errors come up.

4) Did you try putting the old flywheel on to see if that changed things?

Please, i repeat PLEASE do NOT just tighten up the throttle cable. That is NOT the proper way to fix this. Especially being a track car, that is just a band aid.

PS: If your throttle cable isnt adjustable, its broken. Theres no such thing as a "non adjustable" throttle cable. You have to have one (not all cables are created equal). Check at the pedal.
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 20 2005, 10:06 AM
Post #12

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the advice, but actually there is nothing wrong with the engine or throttle cables. The motor runs perfect. I just want a higher idle speed for my preference, not the factory idle. With a regular clutch plate or the lightweight unit, it idles below 1K RPM. I want it at ~1200 RPM. As it comes from the factory, the motor is smooth and purrrrrssss like a kitten! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

I was looking at the motor last night and there appears to be an adjustment screw on the throttle body itself.

Can I use this adjustment screw to play with idle?

Thanks,

Bill P.
+Quote Post
MattR
post Dec 20 2005, 08:40 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

I'm a little confused. Is this a track car? If so, have you heard track cars idle? The 996 cup cars couldnt hold an idle if their life depended on it and thats a factory porsche race car.

First, your idle will be messed up with a light flywheel. If you care about idle, stay with the stock flywheel. All the harmonics are setup for that flywheel. Thats what happens when you go from a 30 lb flywheel to a 12 lb flywheel and keep everything else the same.

My opinion: either accept the low idle, change your flywheel, or build your engine /dme to your new harmonics (which isnt an option in your case). If you're making a track car, you wont be idling much anyways.
+Quote Post
TimT
post Dec 20 2005, 09:09 PM
Post #14

retired

Member No.: 313

The 996 cup cars couldnt hold an idle if their life depended on it and thats a factory porsche race car.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/WTF.gif)

Factory GT3s had been shipping with Tilton clutches, and lightweight flywheels for awhile.. and they will idle all day long and 900-1000 rpm. The GT3RS'sss we maintain star and idle fine.. with even the carbon Tilton flywheels.

Giving a false a/c request will bump the idle.

+Quote Post
MattR
post Dec 20 2005, 09:19 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Last thursday at willow springs it was about 32 degrees at 7am. Our 997 cup car had to be revved like hell to go from the cold side of the pits to fuel lane to stay running. It quit about 3 times in 100 yards. This is a newish motor directly from Motorsports with the Grand am/alms seal and everything.

Even when its fully warmed up it hunts for idle. It doesnt have a constant street car idle. All of our 4 cup cars do the same thing...
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 20 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #16

Given today's technology and the fact that several members here and at Pelican build cars, I don't believe I have to settle for anything.

I want to keep my light flywheel, I want to keep my 3.6 with the stock DME programming to stay in class, and I want the car to idle at 1100 RPM. Several folks have given me ideas on how to raise the idle RPM by 300. In fact, JWE will make a mechanical add on that will keep the RPM at 1100 if I want.

I'm just grateful for the advice and the ideas. It's fun to make it work.

In fact, I've already talked with a chip company that will burn a new idle map in a chip...but again, I want to follow the letter of the rules and not touch the box.

The current motor idles fine. It doesn't die in hard braking. There is nothing wrong with the car other than at ~800 RPM the aluminum panels rattle in the car and the G50 whirs a little. I'd like that gone.

I have confidence I'll have a higher idling machine that's comfortable to sit on grid. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Bill P.

+Quote Post
TimT
post Dec 20 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #17

retired

Billl, you dont need a new chip. Your ecu can be reflashed with new idle charecteristics.

but if the car idles OK wouldnt it be easier on the wallet to learn new launch methods?
+Quote Post
TimT
post Dec 20 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #18

retired

the G50 whirs a little.

if you want that gone reinstall the dual mass flywheel (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 20 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #19

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

I'm a raving wimp! The car launches fine for me, just a little touchy but I'm used to it already. My wife will get used to it too, she's a good shoe. If I sit in the car I can just stab the gas a little and we're up to 1100 RPM and the car doesn't rattle.

I will make it smooth. Because I deserve it for the amount of money I've spent on my toy!

Bill P.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 06:54 AM