Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gary & Jim's, Excelent Adventure
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 18 2005, 09:53 PM
Post #21

914 Wiring Harnesses

Group: Members
Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Looks to me like it was built in the Spring of 1974... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Dec 18 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #22

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

fully carpeted front trunk..... i like
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
drgchapman
post Dec 19 2005, 01:47 PM
Post #23

Current Stable

Group: NoClassifiedAccess
Member No.: 2,789
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

[/QUOTE]bowlsby Posted on Dec 18 2005, 07:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks to me like it was built in the Spring of 1974... [QUOTE]

Ahh, you noticed the headlight covers?

1974 body with 1970 /6 parts all installed, PO took all the /6 stuff and transplanted to another tub.....no rust, anywhere.
Essentially a brand new /6 tub. I t has vented rear rotors, with /6 brake calipers with spacers. Original /6 motor mount, oil tank.....everything. Super clean car, great job with much love by the PO. Lucky me!!!!

+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 19 2005, 02:45 PM
Post #24

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Ahh, you noticed the headlight covers?

Yep the relay covers said Spring '74 to me...confirmed with the round brace at eh spare tire recess. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Dec 19 2005, 03:02 PM
Post #25

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

Jeff, you are a hawkeye! I noticed those too. Car could not have been LE since the red (Bahia I think, tag is gone) in the trunk is original color and exterior is a very close match.

Gary has an incredible car. Has six steering column, leather wheel, ignition switch, hand throttle, white headlight surrounds, windshield washer system (chrome nozzles even!), carerra front suspension with aluminum cross member but with through body front bar, all calipers freshly plated (some assembly required on the rears, calling Eric Shea), factory engine mount and oil tank and probably more factory six stuff that I can't remember. Haven't checked to see if it has the six wiper motor but I bet it does.
Twenty years ago, while living in the east, PO bought a black six and invested much time and money before deciding that he would never cure body cancer. While living in CO he bought the red 4 (from CA) and moved everthing over. He describes it as a 914-6 with improved ventilation, retractable safety belts, improved window regulators, door beams and an adjustable passenger seat.
The bumpers are perfect (early rear which I covet), all the rubber is new, all the silver trim is new, front and rear lenses are new, the interior looks new, can't find a chip in the paint. Has properly installed front oil cooler. Car has been sitting for 8 years awaiting a step up from a 3.2 to a 3.4 twin plug. PO never got there and finally decided to part with his baby.
He posted here or on Pelican (not sure which), asking if there was interest. A member or two came down pretty hard on him (some of us do that sometimes) and he pulled the thread. In the meantime Gary made contact and the rest is history. Anybody got a 3.2 Motronic for sale?
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Dec 19 2005, 03:10 PM
Post #26

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Way to go Gary.

You guys down in Ptown are really lining up the heavy artillary. Us guys from up north won't have a chance when we come down to run with you guys. We're gonna have to do some recruiting.

Dave
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Dec 19 2005, 03:14 PM
Post #27

Now, as Paul Harvey would say, the rest of the story.............

On the way home we were duly warned of the weather forecast by our wives and Craig Laughlin. We had worried about problems in the mountains between OR and CA. No problem there. We saw very little snow until we hit Wilsonville near Gary's home. By the time we got to his house (over some twisty, hilly roads) there was about a half inch of crusty white stuff. I left for home in my 928, getting out of his uphill driveway after about 6 tries. Back over the hilly twistys, more icy by now, came around a bend to find a stalled car and a jack-knifed truck and large travel trailer. Able to stop but it was close (good thing my seat is dark brown leather, stains won't show). Made it another 5 miles or so on the freeway before encountering sheet ice, huge traffic jam with semi's parked in the middle of the freeway chaining up. Others could barely get by and every time I started from a stop the ass end would move sideways. Being old and smart, I parked it on the snowy shoulder where others were chaining, and walked to a motel about a mile away. After making phone contact with wife, Gary and Craig it was 3 gin and tonics, part of the football game and and a nice night's sleep. Awoke to rain and beginning of a thaw. About 9:30 I struck out to seek my car, another mile on the freeway shoulder being showered by trucks. Much to my relief, car was undamaged and not even as dirty as I expected. Made it home to a wife more glad to see me than usual. Then it was time for a cup of coffee and 3 days of 914 Club Garage posts. Life is good.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 19 2005, 06:02 PM
Post #28

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

That's a relief.
Jim got back in one piece & Gary is gonna be a CW (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Dec 19 2005, 06:43 PM
Post #29

Naw, no CW, you're too much of an influence on him. He got the flares along with the 915 and the Quaife. Unless he gets impatient, the flares will wait until winter '07. This year's project is getting an engine installed, likely mated to a 901 for now. He also got the correct 9 hole flywheel for a 901 along with a Kennedy clutch disc and plate.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 19 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #30

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Dec 19 2005, 04:43 PM)
Naw, no CW, you're too much of an influence on him.

Who, me? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
Granted, letting him drive the shitbox was like giving nose candy to an addict......but I didn't have to twist his arm (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif) The car got his attention, not me.

It's a nice car, but I recommended against turning a nice car into an AXer.....BTDT. It ain't about HP, it's about tiars & suspenders to go with em'. The car just gives you somewhere to sit (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
Having said that, I'll help him all I can to turn it into what HE wants....as soon as he figures it out (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
drgchapman
post Dec 21 2005, 02:27 PM
Post #31

Current Stable

Group: NoClassifiedAccess
Member No.: 2,789

a CW (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

Should I be offended?

What is a CW?

Come on 3.2............
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Dec 21 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #32

Certain of the 914 enthusiasts refer to certain others, who like originality and sometimes get a bit compulsive about achieving it, as "concour weinies". I don't think it is a term of endearment when coming from the mouth of "macho racers" like JP.
Not sure, but I think you are something of a hybrid, so JP finds you tolerable.
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Dec 21 2005, 05:16 PM
Post #33

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441

I just KNEW weinie was part of it but din't quite know how to express mahself... congenially (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Nahhh... Gary ain't no weinie (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer3.gif)

.....b
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 08:05 PM