Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anybody familiar with this Rust Inhibitor?
hotdgr
post Dec 18 2005, 11:49 PM
Post #1

Hotdogger Bob

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,272

I ran across this site: Rust Bullet . Has anybody ever heard of or used this stuff before? I'm gonna be doing some "rusto" work on my '75 soon and, of course, I want to use the best stuff I can find. Let me know what you think.

Sorry, (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
website is supposed to be : http://rustbullet.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
davep
post Dec 19 2005, 07:23 AM
Post #2

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

looks promising
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
WRX914
post Dec 19 2005, 10:42 AM
Post #3

2.5 WRX STI hybrid powered beast

Member No.: 2,771
Region Association: Southwest Region

Yea, I used it on a 911 a couple of years ago. The guys at the paint shop said this is the shit. I used it... no issues. The product goes on easy and seems to work well. It is silver in color. I have not expieranced rust through. So far....so good.
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Dec 19 2005, 12:38 PM
Post #4

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

I’ve used it extensively in lieu of POR-15. It goes on much easier, and it isn’t as demanding with the prep. Any POR-15 failure is always attributed to poor preparation. I’ve heard of it failing even with meticulous prep. With the rust bullet, of course everything still needs to be clean and degreased, but it doesn’t have to be surgically clean, and it seems to really adhere well.

Basically, the rust bullet dehydrates the metal, working its way into the pores, and preventing moisture from oxidizing the base metal any further. Two coats are recommended, the first soaks in, then the second seals the first coat. I like it, and it was also suggested to me by a high end restoration shop, Carl Brunson actually.

Be sure you use a lot of ventilation, and you want a fairly heavy initial coat, because if you keep trying to brush it smooth, it will leave more brush marks as it thickens. The warning about it getting on your skin is no joke. The only way to remove it is to remove the skin. I got it on my face, and the only way to go to work the next day was to scrub it off with a scotch brite pad.

Even though the directions say to remove the loose rust, I use a wire wheel to get down to clean metal as well as possible. It’s got excellent abrasion resistance, so it’s good for the interior. Brushing it on is easy, but it isn’t as nice looking as a spray. The problem with spraying it, is that the mist is every bit as tenacious as the base. What it gets on, it stays on. So brushing seems to be the best route unless you plan to do it outside and clean your equipment really, really well. I sure wouldn’t use a nice gun to apply it, once it cures, you are done.

Good Luck!
+Quote Post
WRX914
post Dec 19 2005, 02:11 PM
Post #5

2.5 WRX STI hybrid powered beast

Member No.: 2,771
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (LvSteveH @ Dec 19 2005, 10:38 AM)
I’ve used it extensively in lieu of POR-15. It goes on much easier, and it isn’t as demanding with the prep. Any POR-15 failure is always attributed to poor preparation. I’ve heard of it failing even with meticulous prep. With the rust bullet, of course everything still needs to be clean and degreased, but it doesn’t have to be surgically clean, and it seems to really adhere well.

Basically, the rust bullet dehydrates the metal, working its way into the pores, and preventing moisture from oxidizing the base metal any further. Two coats are recommended, the first soaks in, then the second seals the first coat. I like it, and it was also suggested to me by a high end restoration shop, Carl Brunson actually.

Be sure you use a lot of ventilation, and you want a fairly heavy initial coat, because if you keep trying to brush it smooth, it will leave more brush marks as it thickens. The warning about it getting on your skin is no joke. The only way to remove it is to remove the skin. I got it on my face, and the only way to go to work the next day was to scrub it off with a scotch brite pad.

Even though the directions say to remove the loose rust, I use a wire wheel to get down to clean metal as well as possible. It’s got excellent abrasion resistance, so it’s good for the interior. Brushing it on is easy, but it isn’t as nice looking as a spray. The problem with spraying it, is that the mist is every bit as tenacious as the base. What it gets on, it stays on. So brushing seems to be the best route unless you plan to do it outside and clean your equipment really, really well. I sure wouldn’t use a nice gun to apply it, once it cures, you are done.

Good Luck!

exactly what he said is true. Maybe it is a Vegas thing???
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 06:04 PM