Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody familiar with this Rust Inhibitor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hotdgr
I ran across this site: Rust Bullet . Has anybody ever heard of or used this stuff before? I'm gonna be doing some "rusto" work on my '75 soon and, of course, I want to use the best stuff I can find. Let me know what you think.

Sorry, wink.gif
website is supposed to be : http://rustbullet.com
davep
looks promising
WRX914
Yea, I used it on a 911 a couple of years ago. The guys at the paint shop said this is the shit. I used it... no issues. The product goes on easy and seems to work well. It is silver in color. I have not expieranced rust through. So far....so good.
LvSteveH
I’ve used it extensively in lieu of POR-15. It goes on much easier, and it isn’t as demanding with the prep. Any POR-15 failure is always attributed to poor preparation. I’ve heard of it failing even with meticulous prep. With the rust bullet, of course everything still needs to be clean and degreased, but it doesn’t have to be surgically clean, and it seems to really adhere well.

Basically, the rust bullet dehydrates the metal, working its way into the pores, and preventing moisture from oxidizing the base metal any further. Two coats are recommended, the first soaks in, then the second seals the first coat. I like it, and it was also suggested to me by a high end restoration shop, Carl Brunson actually.

Be sure you use a lot of ventilation, and you want a fairly heavy initial coat, because if you keep trying to brush it smooth, it will leave more brush marks as it thickens. The warning about it getting on your skin is no joke. The only way to remove it is to remove the skin. I got it on my face, and the only way to go to work the next day was to scrub it off with a scotch brite pad.

Even though the directions say to remove the loose rust, I use a wire wheel to get down to clean metal as well as possible. It’s got excellent abrasion resistance, so it’s good for the interior. Brushing it on is easy, but it isn’t as nice looking as a spray. The problem with spraying it, is that the mist is every bit as tenacious as the base. What it gets on, it stays on. So brushing seems to be the best route unless you plan to do it outside and clean your equipment really, really well. I sure wouldn’t use a nice gun to apply it, once it cures, you are done.

Good Luck!
WRX914
QUOTE (LvSteveH @ Dec 19 2005, 10:38 AM)
I’ve used it extensively in lieu of POR-15. It goes on much easier, and it isn’t as demanding with the prep. Any POR-15 failure is always attributed to poor preparation. I’ve heard of it failing even with meticulous prep. With the rust bullet, of course everything still needs to be clean and degreased, but it doesn’t have to be surgically clean, and it seems to really adhere well.

Basically, the rust bullet dehydrates the metal, working its way into the pores, and preventing moisture from oxidizing the base metal any further. Two coats are recommended, the first soaks in, then the second seals the first coat. I like it, and it was also suggested to me by a high end restoration shop, Carl Brunson actually.

Be sure you use a lot of ventilation, and you want a fairly heavy initial coat, because if you keep trying to brush it smooth, it will leave more brush marks as it thickens. The warning about it getting on your skin is no joke. The only way to remove it is to remove the skin. I got it on my face, and the only way to go to work the next day was to scrub it off with a scotch brite pad.

Even though the directions say to remove the loose rust, I use a wire wheel to get down to clean metal as well as possible. It’s got excellent abrasion resistance, so it’s good for the interior. Brushing it on is easy, but it isn’t as nice looking as a spray. The problem with spraying it, is that the mist is every bit as tenacious as the base. What it gets on, it stays on. So brushing seems to be the best route unless you plan to do it outside and clean your equipment really, really well. I sure wouldn’t use a nice gun to apply it, once it cures, you are done.

Good Luck!

exactly what he said is true. Maybe it is a Vegas thing???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.