Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2006 SCCA rules are out, and I'm pissed
Thorshammer
post Dec 21 2005, 06:11 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,335

For the 914-6 in EP, nothing yet, But I really don't think my car is a class killer. I think many people see it as a competitive car, not a over competitive car, besides, I don't motor a single person, The passing on the back straight is set up on the drive and in the draft. I doubt I will be seeing any changes in the weight. As for Chris in FP, Most people will say that Mark Hotchkiss was a world class driver, and thats why the car won. I think the FP car is right on the money with the other FP MGB, midgets, Spitfires. We just need to get our guys going a touch better, it's all in the set up, and some luck... We've got good drivers, just need to hit the marks. We will!

Erik Madsen
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Dec 21 2005, 06:55 PM
Post #22

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

I disagree with the full interior in street mod. I don't have to have any sound deadening or back pad. for some reason I need door panels and carpets.

What gets me is a ZO6 is all fiberglass or is it plastic. We can't even run fiberglass deck lids. just the little bitty engine cover. OOOOH that will save a few pounds. I think I seen the Elise as eligible now I read so much today I can't keep it all straight. But they are screwed @ 1900 pounds too.

I guess I need to go back to the scales and see exactly what I got with wheels and Hoosiers. Start a log book of everything I take off and put on to the oz.

Thanks ya'll for letting me vent. Now I have two roads to chose from. Street prepared with stockish power or Street mod with a turbo 4.

Or behind door number 3 is a 125 Shifter Kart (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Dec 22 2005, 12:07 AM
Post #23

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

Joe, really, you gotta read the rules...

Alternate deck lids are totally legal in SM. Hell, you could make 'em out of paper mache if you wanted to...

But with a minimum weight of 2100, you're gonna need waay more juice than a turbo type IV can deliver to go against the Z06 with considerably more than 500 hp at the pedal.

I for one would really love to see a 914 give the vettes a challenge, but a turbo type IV just ain't gonna do it... Jake? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

-Josh2
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Dec 22 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #24

Long term tinkerer...

Aw hell, just get the shifter kart Joe!

Having driven them before, I can say they are totally a blast and a half!!!

Only reasons I didn't spring for one were that I really wanted to be able to take passengers, and my back just ain't what it used to be...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Dec 22 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

If you don't feel that you can be competetive either don't play or bring a bigger hammer. Since I don't follow autocross too much any more I don;'t keep an eye on the national scene. Joe is building a car to run on a local and regional level. If he is a good driver I feel he can keep up with and beat many of his competitors. I have seen one of our local National Champs show up and beat everyone (even the shifter carts) ina supercharged Miata. Not even his car. On the local level for the most part driver trumps equipment. Yes there are exceptions.

With that said SM was not setup for a 914. It was designed to catch, as you said all the "tuner " cars. How many 914s are running in competition nowdays anyways? A handful at the National level. Manufactures don't care about older models, they don't like to see older models beating up on the newer stuff either, so you will see the rules biased to suit certian new models. Look at how hard Mazda and Dodge worked to get the Miata and Neon in classes where they can dominate.

I would build a car to run in another class. The street prepared classes are a nice place to play so are the prepared classes. How about the ST classes? Any of them open to a 914.
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Dec 22 2005, 09:50 AM
Post #26

Long term tinkerer...

You could run a 1.8 in ST2... I think it would get hammered though... Maybe not...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Dec 22 2005, 11:59 AM
Post #27

Long term tinkerer...

Joe mentioned wanted to go to Nationals and be something more than class filler. That takes a serious combination of things. Look at the results from the 2005 Nationals. I don't think a single one of the top ten cars had less than 250 hp. Even the miatas (or is that miatae?), were pushing a whole lot of boost. We know the vettes are somewhere beyond 500 hp, and I know that Andy's RX-7 is well north of 400 hp (or at least it was the last three times that car has won a championship). Dan's miata was running something well north of 12 psi of boost two years ago, so I can only assume he's running at least that much now...

Power certainly isn't everything, but I know many of the drivers on that list, they're all top level drivers, and those cars are all exceptionally well prepared. Andy's RX-7 has been one of my "wish-list" cars for nearly 10 years now...

SM and SM2 is are heavy hitter classes that have only just now started to show their true potential...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
Dave-O
post Dec 22 2005, 12:15 PM
Post #28

Is winter done yet?

Member No.: 1,082

QUOTE (jhadler @ Dec 22 2005, 09:50 AM)
You could run a 1.8 in ST2... I think it would get hammered though... Maybe not...

-Josh2

I'm doing this next year with my 1.7. It honestly seems to me to be the most compeditive class for a 914 without a huge budget. My car should be pretty well prepped for it so I'll keep you informed. The class includes MK1 miatas, MK1 MR2's, CRX's and a few others. We're still down in the power to weight department but not as much as in stock or street prepared classes. Depending on how the tuning of the car and my driving progresses...I might see you at nationals Joe!!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Dec 22 2005, 10:07 PM
Post #29

The glory that once was.

Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I too was saddened to see the proposal over the summer to make "mid and rear" engined rear wheel drive work with a heavier min wt. And now that its "law", well, since when had the SCCA ever favored any Porsche. I just laugh it off as another anti Porsche incident. What other car company makes a line of mid and rear engined sports cars... How about the 3rd gen RX-7 being a "front-mid engine" design... how much weight should we stick them with?

I think the ultimate revenge will be for someone with bucks, (not me) to build a GT flaired, 3.9L 6 cyl car with some real meat at the corners, keep it to 2100#, and rule the world.

OR, for Dave-o to lay down some STS-2 smack on the miatas and MR-2's. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Dec 22 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #30

Long term tinkerer...

It's possible they were thinking about the 911 and Boxter lines... No, I doubt the 914 even occured to them... However, I think the real threat they may have been concerned with is the Lotus Elise/Exige... Now THAT would be a seriously wicked SM2 car.

Personally I think it's absurd to impose that kind of penalty when the Z06 still rules the roost... What, the Corvette doesn't have enough classes to be competitive in??!?!?!

SS, AS, BS, ASP, BSP, BP, and SM2. isn't that more than enough for one freakin' model of car?!?!

Yeesh...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Dec 23 2005, 02:06 AM
Post #31

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Anyone seen Harris' SP #11?? Theres a viper killer... Who mentioned dropping in a six and big flares? Harris' car is the fastest in the Colorado. If anyone wants to race him they should keep an eye on the Nostalgia roster next year. He's classed super production so he flies with the GT1 cars in SCCA.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 04:14 AM