Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> starting an car, Any tips
sjhowitson
post Dec 27 2005, 12:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,449

I'm going to fire up my car for the first time in a couple month. Anyboby have any tips before I give it a try. Just got a new battery and it hasn't been run for some time. It is a carbed 6. I don't want to hurt anything.

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TimT
post Dec 27 2005, 12:18 PM
Post #2

retired

Member No.: 313

disconnect the coil, crank to get oil pressure, reconnect coil. fire up
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Dec 27 2005, 12:29 PM
Post #3

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Member No.: 898
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) I agree with Tim, if it was an unknown it would be another story.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Dec 27 2005, 12:41 PM
Post #4

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I'm going to fire up my car for the first time

He said Fire, heh, heh, heh.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
NO fires please.

Let the carbs fill while you prime the oil.
Stay off the start fluid.

Have you put any oil down the spark plug holes?

How long has the motor sat?
I started my 4 year+ ( ? ) sitter last year and had it running in 20 seconds.

Is the motor in the car or on the bench?

KT

+Quote Post
sjhowitson
post Dec 27 2005, 12:52 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,449

The motor is in the car. It has not been run in three months. I did not put oil down the spark plug holes. The last time I tried to start it I cranked for some time. 30 seconds. It would not start. I figured it was lack of fule in the carbs. Then the battery went dead. That killed my fun.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Dec 27 2005, 01:13 PM
Post #6

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

After 30 seconds and not even a clearing of the throat?

Sounds like you may have an ignition problem.
Or the fuel pump is busted.

KT
+Quote Post
Rambo
post Jan 13 2006, 02:29 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,596

Please help me out...I aint a mechanic, dont know squat bout engines...got this '72 914 Trike,. started 2 days ago, no problem...did not start yesterday; fuel pump works, filter not clogged..gets plenty of gas to the carb, replaced battery yesterday, replaced coil today....what does a dummy like me do next to get it to start? Bought it in June, never a problem starting it...3 days ago I took it for a spin, 2 days ago starter would not make a sound; took wire off of starter, put it back on.started right up. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
lincoln
post Jan 13 2006, 02:40 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,253
Region Association: None

ok this might sound stupid and i promise ya i dont mean to make it seem that way or offend anyone in anyway

disconnect both battery cables , clean the terminals on the battery real real good, make sure they are shiny and clean form any crud, do same to the terminal ends on the cables, look for corrosion anywhere you can see on the cables themselves, clean as needed, be sure you DONT get any of the crud stuff on your clothes, cuz when ya wash em will suddenly get a BUNCH of holes hehheh

after cleaned reconnect them to the battery. if this still doesnt do anything , find your starter , and check the wiring that connects to the large and small terminals on it, sometimes one or both can come loose and not allow the starter to engage - usually if the starters good tho and turns over thats NOT the problem

GL
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Jan 13 2006, 08:21 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 366

agree with poster, Clean up the contacts and such. and ad to that wire you moved to get it to work before, double check that one again, That one seems suspect.

Sometimes the contact between the wire and the connector is bad and you can't see it too well, the solution would be a new end on the wire, but that requires the right new connector and crimping tool.

Do you have photos of the trike you can post?

Might want to charge a new battery overnight if you can, You might need it to crank that engine for a while.

also a shot of starting fluid spray down the intakes while cranking should get it to fire at least (If not, then you have an ignition probelm) be careful, keep face and hands away from the intakes when using starter spray, it can backfire out the intake in a ball of flame. If it fires for a while on spray, then you have a fuel / air issue. Smell gas in the tail pipe? (after cranking for a while) if not, then you are not getting fuel to the cylinders.(keep cranking or find out why no gas.)

How full is the tank? If very low, you might be sucking up crud in the bottom of the tank?

Those are the basic tests to isolate the problem of non starting on a car with no ,mechanical isues ( engine didn't wear out nor become full of rocks while in storage, and it ran fine before, right?)

PS there should be a ground strap or two that provides a good negitive ground path in a fat wire between the engine/tranny case (and there for the starter case) and the negitive battery post. This negitive ground strap should be of about the same thickness as the fat red wire on the positive battery post.

besure to trace this ground from the battery to the starter, lossen/tighten repeat .... to clean corrosion on all connections on this ground path. sometimes the ground strap is corroded under a bolt head, and that can cause intermittant or no starts.

good luck
+Quote Post
Rambo
post Jan 14 2006, 12:01 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 4,596

photo..check out my avatar....posted same pic in the pic section..got a few more angles...just gotta find em....

bought new battery on thursday..posts and cables perfectly clean, so far I have had to charge the new battery 3 times, its fully charged now for tomorrows tries.

fuel pump works fine, gas gettin to the carb, tank is full, just rode it 4 days ago, only 3 mi on this tank..can buy starter fluid tomorrow, but will ck for spark on coil and plugs first...aint done that on a car in 25 yrs, can't wait for the jolt..

starter turns over...no coughing tho... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 02:09 PM