Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Porsche 968s, Anyone own one or know about them?
Brando
post Dec 29 2005, 03:11 PM
Post #21

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

968s are indeed nice cars. I would say go with the tiptronic, and yes the prices mentioned here are about spot-on.

The only major problem that they had was snapping input shafts -- but that was pretty rare and dealer-corrected. Front-engine, rear wheel drive. If you drive it on a bad clutch too long you can destroy the tip of the driveshaft which equals a lot of time and money. 4-cylinder, 3.0 Litre, Vario-cam, DOHC... All the goodies. Unlike 944s and 924s, they were actually assembled in Porsche's factories, right next to the 911s. Some parts are shared with the 944/late 944/S/S2, such as the aluminum suspension components and some electricals. I think the only Audi parts in that car are one or two relays and maybe the headlamp motors. The rest is Porsche 944.

They are undeniably the best version of the front-engined water-coolers. They hardly ever have anything go wrong. If you do buy one, have the belts, rollers and tensioner replaced. Check the water-pump. Left uncared for they can grind into the block under tension and you'll never be able to get a pump to work right without machining the block. If you do skimp on a timing belt replacement and you munch some valves, expect to pay maybe $300-$1500 for the machinework and parts, then just time (since you have an affinity for working on cars). If you have a shop do it, expect upwards of $3000 for the repair.

Most of all, enjoy it and drive it. If you want a backseat, don't buy the cabriolet version. Otherwise... Enjoy a convertible (which are more common than coupes). One of the best Porsches ever made, second to the 993 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
johnmhudson111
post Dec 29 2005, 03:23 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 3,191

QUOTE (jasons @ Dec 29 2005, 10:05 AM)
They're Bitchin. They are basically the same platform as a 944 with some updates. The 968 has the same 3.0L motor as my 944S2. But, they added variable valve timing so they are good for like 10 more hp than mine, making total of around 220hp maybe even a little more. You have all the same concerns with one of those as a 944. Timing belts must be done religously, about every 45k miles. Ask me how I know, my car just lunched the timing belt and I knew I was pushing the mileage. Cam chain, and tensioner should be maintained too. The tensioner is known to wear out, fail, then break the chain. This can be pretty catastrophic. It can damage the head, valves, and cams. You don't want to know what that repair costs.

I don't know if they have the crappy rubber centered clutch that 944's are known for. If it does, I think the clutch job is alot easier. There is an access panel on the bellhousing to do the repairs. On a 944, you have to pull out the exhaust, transmission, central driveline, just to access the bellhousing.

Just keep in mind, they are Porsches and the parts and repairs come at Porsche prices and frequencies. Basically they aint toyotas.

Make sure that they replace the waterpump too. I had more of these fail than clutches and timing belts.
+Quote Post
Flat VW
post Dec 29 2005, 03:27 PM
Post #23

Illegal Soapbox Derby Racecar

Member No.: 3,105

Boxter

John (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif)
+Quote Post
Racer
post Dec 29 2005, 03:42 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I say Boxster. They are the "modern" 914. Then you can sneak it out to an autcross and see how well they truly handle!
+Quote Post
jasons
post Dec 29 2005, 04:21 PM
Post #25

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573
Region Association: None

A couple more things Greg, if you want to haul some kind of cargo, a 944/968 has a pretty good hatch area, with fold down seats. Something to consider in a daily driver. The grocery store is no problem, and Home Depot isn't out of the question.

968's are rare, nice ones will maintain their value.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Dec 29 2005, 04:26 PM
Post #26

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

They make a good track car too. Nicely balanced. Here is my friends 968 ClubSport, I think 1 of 6 in the country.

T.C.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
johnmhudson111
post Dec 29 2005, 05:56 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 3,191

QUOTE (carr914 @ Dec 29 2005, 05:26 PM)
They make a good track car too. Nicely balanced. Here is my friends 968 ClubSport, I think 1 of 6 in the country.

T.C.

I am guessing that this is the same car I saw at the Parade in FL. It was excellent example of one...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bmcwilli
post Dec 29 2005, 08:24 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 3,998

Like others have said, the 968 is a fine car.

The coupe (harder to find than the cabrio) has great luggage space, and an adult can squeeze into the back seat.

Very solid car. Make sure that any of them you look at has the aforementioned pinion gear/input shaft fix.

I have a 944 S2. 109.000 miles and very solid. I love the car/
+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Dec 30 2005, 12:35 AM
Post #29

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

Great information! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

I knew I would get good information and advise here (except dump the wife part). (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

Thanks!
+Quote Post
carr914
post Dec 30 2005, 10:11 AM
Post #30

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

John, yes that is the same ClubSport. It's a beautiful car and at the time my friend bought it was (I think) cheap. It has gone up due the rarity. He has bought another 968 to make a track car, so he doesn't ball this one up. That's a good idea as he is pretty aggressive he and I have duelled inches apart for lap after lap at Sebring multiple times.

T.C.

Greg, we only kid. Wives keep alot of you guys somewhat grounded so you don't spend every dollar you have on Porsches
+Quote Post
jet1
post Dec 30 2005, 10:21 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 2,213
Region Association: North East States

I say get a 968. I always liked the 968 and the 928.
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Dec 30 2005, 12:38 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

968's are nice...but still associated with the more abundent 944's. Now, the 928's are also rare (only 25k shipped to the US over it's lifespan from 78 throu 95), alot more comfortable, fast and still out perform most current GT's.....my daily driver for the past 5 years:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Dec 30 2005, 12:49 PM
Post #33

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/hijacked.gif)

Posted: Dec 29 2005, 04:56 PM  

Member No.: 3191

QUOTE (carr914 @ Dec 29 2005, 05:26 PM)

T.C.  

I am guessing that this is the same car I saw at the Parade in FL. It was excellent example of one...

Attached image:

--------------------
John Hudson
Nesbit, MS (20 miles south of Memphis, TN)

72 914 1.8L - Some assembly required
05 GMC Denali - Uberpanzerwagon
05 Scion xB - Little yellow lunch box on wheels

John's Personal and Porsche Web Pages

If your in the area and need food, come by the Quiznos we just opened on Church Rd, Southaven, MS.  

What color is that? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
bryanc
post Dec 30 2005, 01:14 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 2,495

QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Dec 29 2005, 10:35 PM)
Great information! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

I knew I would get good information and advise here (except dump the wife part). (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

Thanks!

Greg,

I looked at 944S2 and 968's before I bought my boxster S. I drove a few of each and was suitably impressed. The boxster won out because of the flat 6 motor. The induction sound and smoothness of the engine is just amazing.

That said, for daily driver duties, the boxster does have slightly less storage space than a 914, and is a little more cramped IMHO. The 944 based cars are more 'form fitting', but IIRC, had more leg room.
+Quote Post
mikelsr
post Dec 30 2005, 02:04 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 3,390

Boxster. I have had mine for two years. Lots of fun.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/mikelsr/914/Buds-2.jpg)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 16 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #36

Racer from Birth

I talked to my friend Rich last weekend at the 48 hr of Sebring PCA race. The 968 Club Sport is Riviera Blue.

T.C.
+Quote Post
rickyhgarcia
post Feb 16 2006, 03:47 PM
Post #37

UPS truck is here...

Member No.: 2,198

I have owned two 944´s, both purchased new, an ´86 944 and an ´87 944 Turbo. They are great cars for town driving and highway driving. The interior is confortable with low noise level...great for long highway trips. The turbo was an awesome car, and quite beautiful. Milage was amazing for a car that could do 165MPH. I have never driven a 968, however, it was pretty much the replacement of the 944 Turbo since powerwise they were similar.

Porsche considered a 968 Turbo, but like the 916, the project was scrapped because it would out-perform the 911 of the era.

My vote would be for the 968...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 09:51 AM