Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking For Phoenix 914 Mechanics/Parts
Moneypit
post Jan 4 2006, 01:11 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,360
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hello all! We recently moved from Dallas to Phoenix and went along and dragged the old 914 along.... Problem is, we no longer know of any mechanics who can do more of the technical work on it. We had been taking it to DC racing in Dallas, and found the place very helpful in putting the car on the road. Our last thing we did before I went in the Marines was remove the motor and get the motor and CV joints rebuilt.

I'm home on leave, till jan 12th, and am trying to get as much done/ set up as possible. We have to re-install the motor, tranny, cv joints, and get the brakes completely overhauled, not to mention the usual other myraid of broken stuff that seems to happen with these things (trunk hinges anyone?)

If anyone knows of a small, or large shop in phoenix and could drop us a line, please do so.

Up to this point, my relationship with my car has been Love/Hate..../I'm going to set it on fire (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/fighting19.gif)

Oh yeah, It's a 74 2.0 with a webcam cam and weber carbs, freshly rebuilt.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bryanc
post Jan 4 2006, 01:15 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,495

There are several good shops in Phoenix:

Patrick Motorsports if you can afford it.

Stuttgart Southwest and Don Jackson enterprizes are the East side and West side guys--I've dealt with both, Stuttgart is more convienient, so I use them for parts and stuff I can't do my self.

I know of Beck's Independent and Exotic Motorwerks, but haven't had them do any work.

I can't think of anyone else....
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Jan 4 2006, 08:27 AM
Post #3

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881

Welcome to Phoenix. I use Jack over at Stuttgart Southwest. He reassembled my entire car....seriously. Very honest mechanic(oxymoron I am told?) I have bought stuff from Patrick Motorsports and Don Jackson but have never had any work done there.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jan 4 2006, 11:12 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 447

Becks is 914 friendly, I used them for parts only but they always have some teeners there and race tubs. Agree with all the others!
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Jan 4 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #5

Best friends

Member No.: 231

My son used to work for Becks. He left because of how they do business. I wouldn't let my car get within 50 feet of the place.

Although I live in Flagstaff and do most of my own work, I've worked with the folks at Stuttgart on several occasions and have been very impressed.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jan 4 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 447

Doh! Can I ask how they did business? I have only bought parts through them, no service.
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Jan 4 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #7

Best friends

Member No.: 231

It was mostly boss/employee relations, with only one opinion being the one that counted and jobs done to maximize profit more than done correctly the first time. Customer satisfaction was not the important thing. I came to feel that the shop was not one that I would trust with my car.
+Quote Post
Moneypit
post Jan 6 2006, 12:50 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,360

Thank you. I'm going to do as much as possible before I go back home on the 12th, so my parents will be finishing the rest of the work. It's hard for me to remember where all this stuff goes since it's bee 2 years almost since i've touched it. Guess the Marine's will do that.....

Anyone have suggestions on replacements for the heating system? my HE's rusted off, but the front blowers work. none of the rear end equipment is there. is there an alternative to the heat exchanger method, mostly just enough to defrost or defog the windshield.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 08:18 AM