Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just Another Trip To Home Depot,, Until: Screeeech, Bang; shortened 914
lotus_65
post Jan 5 2006, 10:03 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,795
Region Association: Northstar Region

anyone carry collector car insurance, maybe as a side policy? i might look into it now...

excellence mag did a pretty robust valuation of 914's recently, that might be another source for finding true value of your car.

was the other driver on the cell phone or something? if it isn't a consideration for the adjusters, it should be!

sorry 'bout your car!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Jan 5 2006, 10:32 AM
Post #22

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

Seeing your car just makes me sick! --a teener's worst nightmare, only to be topped if the other person was uninsured. I hope you are able to get it repaired back to your liking. Please keep us informed how the process goes. From past experience, dealing with insurance companies can be agonizing--it's all about their bottom line, not what's right.
+Quote Post
Howard
post Jan 5 2006, 10:37 AM
Post #23

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943

Tough to call from 3000 miles away, but looks like a total. You are entitled to replacement cost of 'like kind and quality' plus license/registration fees and rental car reimbursement. It really has nothing to do with 'your' insurance company since the claim will be paid by 'his' company. Yeah, I know they are the same, but claim will be handled under his policy, so your coverages really don't matter at this point.

Less important is how much you have invested in the car and 'blue book', just what current replacement cost is. Do your homework and get documents to support the current value. Collect ads of comparable cars.

Ask the adjuster if it's OK to remove parts and consider buying the salvage if the car has good mechanicals.

And a side note. We deal with adjusters all the time. These guys are salaried, and just want to move the paper. They have to justify how much they pay you, so give them the ammunition. If you piss them off, expect to be treated accordingly.
+Quote Post
Kerrys914
post Jan 5 2006, 11:00 AM
Post #24

Dear, the parts I just sold paid for that part ;)

Member No.: 16

Sorry to read all of this (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)

If needed I found these TWO 914's behind a body shop near my house (well kind of near). One is rusted and the other is in okay shape. He will sell them both for $700. I bet he will take $500 cash for the two of them.

I just don't have space for two cars and the time to strip them for parts.

Sheet me an e-mail if interested. I think I have his number still.

Best of luck...This reminds me to up the value of my car ASAP
+Quote Post
joeav8tor
post Jan 5 2006, 07:15 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 3,493

sorry about the damage to your 914, it looked nice in the pictures...I have collector car insurance, I told them that I have a low mileage 914 and they told me that a 73 2.0 in museum condition would be worth approximately $25,000....they asked me the value of the car and I told them $17,000...annual cost is $135 a year.
there are a few of rules for the insurance.

no drivers in the house under a certain age ( I think it was 25)
both other driveable cars less than 10 years old (wifes and mine)
2000 miles driven max a year.
I had to provide them with some pictures of the car.

Joe
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Jan 5 2006, 09:28 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 366

settle for nothing less than maybe $5000 for the car (assuming it is basically stock) then buy it back from the insurance for $250 so you can keep it. Then part it out, and find a new one. I think they will total it, which is ok, as long as you can keep it, the parts are worth alot, ecspecially if you get a new one, you'll have lots of good spares.

Real bummer, near identical crash on my car, chassis was bent, insurance totalled it for about 5 grand, and I kept the car.

Sorry,
+Quote Post
Roger D.
post Jan 5 2006, 09:57 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 5,296

That is a real bummer for sure. And your neck is hurting now too..RIGHT!! Anytime you get slammed from the rear it's good cause for neck pain. Go see a Dr. and tell him you have some pain since the accident. IM SERIOUS!!! Do not settle for having your car "repaired" by a body shop picked by the insur. company. No no No!! You tell them emphatically that you just cannot live with the car even after repairs and suggest they "total" it. I always insure cars like these for "stated value". In the event of a total loss I collect on the amount I insured the car for. You should have major compensation coming my friend. Don't take this lying down. They will crap all over you. You have to fight for your car's sake!! Look at the poor thing..Christ!! And GO SEE A DOCTOR about your neck that is really stiff and hurting when you turn it.

Roger D.
+Quote Post
Roger D.
post Jan 5 2006, 10:00 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 5,296

And dont forget...the value of your car AFTER it is repaired will never be the same as BEFORE it was ever involved in an accident of this magnitude. your re-sale value even after they fix it, will be much lower because it has had major damage. You tell them that!!
Dammit...Im pissed thinkin that some insurance co. and a retarded Mazda driver are going to screw you. FIGHT MAN...FIGHT!!

Roger D.
+Quote Post
Dead Air
post Jan 5 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 2,042

QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Jan 5 2006, 07:36 AM)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif) MAZDA drivers.

What did you say!!?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
root
post Jan 5 2006, 10:46 PM
Post #30

Two Wheeled Type4 Completed!

Member No.: 2,026

Hard to tell from where I'm standing.
But a good frame shop may be able to pull it out using original frame dimensioning and a good rear deck lid as a reference.
It will however never be completely back to original.

I hit a tree going backwards after a spinout in this one..... a top frame man fixed it!
It's never been the same but somehow it means more to me now than it did before.
"Cause I brought it back to life! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jan 5 2006, 10:49 PM
Post #31

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Wouldn't you know a ZOOM ZOOM Mazda driver. Probably a Miata at that. If you found a really good body shop they could probaly pull that out to make it look a lot better. If I bought it back after a settlement I would make an effort to try and get it done.
Good luck.
CCLINZOOMZOOM
+Quote Post
Dead Air
post Jan 5 2006, 10:57 PM
Post #32

QUOTE (boxstr @ Jan 5 2006, 08:49 PM)
Wouldn't you know a ZOOM ZOOM Mazda driver.

[QUOTE]

Come to think of it... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)
When my tach pegs to 8000,
It really does sound like "Zoom Zoom"
Then I smoke 'em in first and then I smoke 'em in second (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jan 5 2006, 11:02 PM
Post #33

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey I was just giving shit to Bruce Allert. I personally love the little Miatas. Great sporty car and they start and have heat and all kinds of good stuff. For not much $$$
CCLINZOOMZOOM
+Quote Post
root
post Jan 5 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #34

Two Wheeled Type4 Completed!

Member No.: 2,026

After installing a new rotary in this one for my friend I took a vow never to work on another Mazda, as long as I am able to turn a wrench...it was truly a "rat's nest" design! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
smooth_eddy
post Jan 5 2006, 11:18 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 3,102

That is a real bummer for sure. And your neck is hurting now too..RIGHT!! Anytime you get slammed from the rear it's good cause for neck pain. Go see a Dr. and tell him you have some pain since the accident. IM SERIOUS!!! Do not settle for having your car "repaired" by a body shop picked by the insur. company. No no No!! You tell them emphatically that you just cannot live with the car even after repairs and suggest they "total" it. I always insure cars like these for "stated value". In the event of a total loss I collect on the amount I insured the car for. You should have major compensation coming my friend. Don't take this lying down. They will crap all over you. You have to fight for your car's sake!! Look at the poor thing..Christ!! And GO SEE A DOCTOR about your neck that is really stiff and hurting when you turn it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

Also, you NEED to miss some work, or else they will say well you did not miss any work so you must be fine. Take some time off. Use it to collect your data for the loss. Eddy
+Quote Post
Dead Air
post Jan 5 2006, 11:22 PM
Post #36

OK.. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)

That really Does look like a rats nest! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Jan 5 2006, 11:22 PM
Post #37

Do NOT ask the adjuster if you can remove parts!

1.. The car is still yours until they total it and transfer takes place. You can pull your radio and any add on stuff, However it can help to have that stuff installed when the cart is totalled to up the price, yet they may not count as much whjen you by back the hulk. But don't remove anything else yet.

2.. By telling the adjuster puke that you want parts now is jumping the gun, and will make the puke think the parts are valuable, hence he will have leverage when dealing with the price of the total car, and the price for you to by back the hulk. just tell him when he totals it that you want it back cuase you want to try to fix it yourself, do not mention parts and such, cause then he knows it is valuable. Just don't mention keeping the car until you get the offer for total price, then tell them you want to buy it back for a few hundered. They will likely agree so they can get the deal done and the case off the books.

Your job will be to get the highest value possible assigned to your car. Don't forget expenses you will incure in searching for a new 914 , hell you may have to travel a good distance to find one. don't forget the sales tax you may have to pay for a replacement car. You need to itemize it all. Just paying you the true value of the car is not enough, cause you will have to spend time and money searching for a replacement.

Also remember that your insurance company is NOT your freind, they want to settle for as little as possible.

Old Car Price Guide is a quarterly or so magazine that lists prices for collector cars,usually they have a complete Porsche section with the 914 listed by year and engine type, go buy a current copy (mine are several years old, purchased when my cars were wrecked) Also make paper copies of ebay sales,a dn other internet sales that help subtatiate the high end price that is in the books.

By the way, you neck/back should hurt with a crash that bad. Go see a doctor in the morning to get checked out. insurance should pay expense for pain and suffering as a rule of thumb. No medical record means you have little chance of the best claim, so if your hurt, don't just tough it out, see a doc if you hurt, have it documented.
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Jan 5 2006, 11:24 PM
Post #38

A mazda aint a rats nest, it more of a rat or hampster wheel, you know the ones that a rat can run on to spin the wheel, aint that what a rotary engine is like?
+Quote Post
Dead Air
post Jan 5 2006, 11:53 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Jan 5 2006, 09:24 PM)
A mazda aint a rats nest, it more or a rat or hampster whell, you know the ones that a rat can run on to spin the wheel, aint that what a rotary engine is like?

[QUOTE]
Uhhh.
no

It's more like this. .

R1: 39
R2: 26
Pos. 20
Vel. 2
+Quote Post
Kerrys914
post Jan 6 2006, 07:34 AM
Post #40

Dear, the parts I just sold paid for that part ;)

Member No.: 16

What about the past issue of Excellence when they did a "market update" on 914's/ IIRC the numbers were on very good for this purpose. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

Best of luck.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 07:00 AM