Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mrdezyne's Suby convert thread...., So it begins again
mrdezyne
post Jan 9 2006, 10:08 AM
Post #1

Now on larger rolling jack stands!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,510

I have really enjoyed following progress threads of others that are doing swaps to the Suby power plant. I have learned so much and avoided problems early on due to the information presented by fellow Suby converts here on the board. Thank you all.

With that said, I thought it was time to get my own going and maybe help fill in any gaps that other might be curious about. I am just learning as I go so most of you know tons more than I do about both Subaru engines and 914 workings than I do at this point.

The project"

1973 914 with minimal rust and a 14 year old 1.7 liter FI, stock.
Overall this car was in pretty good shape when I loaded it up on the trailer in Stillwater Ok and brought it home to Tulsa. It had been sitting in a garage since 1989-90 due to losing oil pressure, nothing had ever been checked or tried, they just parked it inside and let the years of dust and other stuff collect on top of it. Yeah for me!

Transplant for power is a 2004 EJ25 SOHC with 16k. Something like 165 hp stock and I am hoping to squeeze around 180 out of it with mild mods. Cams and such might come later which could pop it up over 200hp. Engine was in good shape when I bought it but needed timing belt and covers, and a new tensioner (since I screwed the original one up trying to compress it). Waiting on Kennedy plate and flywheel now.

17x7 front 17x9 rear, waiting for Bontempi flares for the rear...... as she sits of yesterday....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Jan 9 2006, 10:08 AM
Post #2

Quick shot of the engine....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jan 9 2006, 10:32 AM
Post #3

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

what wheels are those?

nice project
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Jan 9 2006, 10:39 AM
Post #4

They are a Honda bolt pattern with adapters. Took some searching to find a staggared set though. You like?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Jan 9 2006, 10:40 AM
Post #5

nother of the fronts and rears.... Anyone need this set of American Racing wheels that came on it? Might be for sale..... I think they are kinda rare.....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nynone4
post Jan 9 2006, 11:06 AM
Post #6

Hammer to fit. Paint to match.

Member No.: 713
Region Association: None

Cool project! Are you getting your flares from HPH? I tried to contact Rich Bontempi there to get prices for a pair of those flares - but could never get a price out of him to order some. If you don't mind my asking - what do a pair of those go for?

Neat wheels too!
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Jan 9 2006, 11:13 AM
Post #7

This is what Rich had to say to me a few weeks ago. Still doesn't sound like a firm price but I bet its close...

"Curt,

Yes those are my flares!

I think the current price is $595 for rears and $550 for fronts, plus shipping. I need to get to my guy and have some more made to get a current price.

Rich"

+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Jan 11 2006, 10:37 AM
Post #8

Rust repair is the name of the game at present. Anyone have this piece from a junk shell?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Jan 11 2006, 10:39 AM
Post #9

Shot from under side. The long is not in that bad of shape.....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Jan 11 2006, 10:44 AM
Post #10

Suby wiring harness installed..... yeah right. Still haven't gotten started on this yet, it looks like a nightmare but from what I hear its very doable..... This is everything from front turn signals to rear and all points inbetween.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
fiid
post Jan 11 2006, 10:50 AM
Post #11

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

looks like a great project!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) let me know if theres anything I can do to help!! (btw - PMing is a better guarantee of a response - I sometimes miss questions in threads)

+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jan 11 2006, 11:05 AM
Post #12

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

My engine came the same way ( in need of a timing belt and covers). Don't make the mistake I did... Make sure when you take the old timing belt off, that you to id with the mark in the correct position. I cut mine off whereever it happened to be. According to information I found, the engine is an interfernce type, though I hve found contradictory information on that as well... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

Did you ever manage to find a factory service manual for your car to help you with the wiring?

-Tony
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Jan 11 2006, 11:39 AM
Post #13

This OEM belt actually had tick marks on it that aligned with the timing marks on each pulley. I thought it was too good to be true myself but after calling the Suby dealer, they verified and the whole thing was a snap. Am I missing something? Could it be that easy?

Still no luck with manuals. I'm sure they are available for a 2004 but I'm just not ready to spend the $$$ on that just yet.

Need to find a radiator that fits the front. Is everyone using 1.5" or 1.25" ID hose to run coolant to the front? (Tony, I know yours is in the back...)

Working on yet another motor mount design (the mechanical engineer in me says I can do it stronger and better than what I have seen so far.... translation..... I'm going to waste a whole bunch of time, beer, and blood making something that works, eh, about the same as what you guys have done).

Heres the deal.
When I get my wiring harness done, I will share my results and diagram.
When I get my cradle built, I will share my design and dimensions.
Heck, I'll show you guys whatever you need to get more converts out there. This seems like the logical evolution of the 914 to me.

Suby with fresh covers.....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
WRX914
post Jan 11 2006, 11:48 AM
Post #14

2.5 WRX STI hybrid powered beast

Member No.: 2,771
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Jan 11 2006, 09:05 AM)
My engine came the same way ( in need of a timing belt and covers).  Don't make the mistake I did... Make sure when you take the old timing belt off, that you to id with the mark in the correct position.  I cut mine off whereever it happened to be.  According to information I found, the engine is an interfernce type, though I hve found contradictory information on that as well... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

Did you ever manage to find a factory service manual for your car to help you with the wiring?

-Tony

Call Dana at Renegade. He rewired his and my harness with some rather (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/stromberg.gif) instructions. However crapy the instructions are, he did it and it worked the first time. He can direct you the the source that he used to obtain the directions. I do know that he took about 40-50 lbs of wiring harness and reduced it to about 5-10 lbs and took about 3 nights after work till 2 am to finish. I have mine done, will try to take and posts some pics of the finished product.

Keith
+Quote Post
fiid
post Jan 11 2006, 11:48 AM
Post #15

I have a 91-92 VW Golf Radiator in the front. I think there are pictures in my progress thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...t=ST&f=2&t=7882
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Jan 11 2006, 12:01 PM
Post #16

Fiid, are you going to try any sort of burp tank of overflow system for your cooling? I like the way that Golf radiator fits. Do you remember what size lines you are running to the back?

Keith,
I appreciate the direction, I'll give Dana a call and see what he says. Any photos would be great, thanks!
+Quote Post
WRX914
post Jan 11 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #17

2.5 WRX STI hybrid powered beast

Member No.: 2,771
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (mrdezyne @ Jan 11 2006, 10:01 AM)
Fiid, are you going to try any sort of burp tank of overflow system for your cooling? I like the way that Golf radiator fits. Do you remember what size lines you are running to the back?

Keith,
I appreciate the direction, I'll give Dana a call and see what he says. Any photos would be great, thanks!

Kinda screwed for pics right now...

Work PC does not have memory card slots, and home pc is on dial-up. Will figure something out soon.
+Quote Post
fiid
post Jan 11 2006, 12:08 PM
Post #18

Yeah - my engine has a filler cap/expension tank on the top of it. The "radiator" pressure cap sits on top of that - and then there is a line to an overflow tank which is mounted on the firewall.

+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Feb 1 2006, 04:13 PM
Post #19

Found my radiator and fuel cell. I will order from Jegs this Scirocco radiator:

#555-51960
22" x 13"
double row all aluminum

and this fuel cell:

#547-200-010-01
25" L x 9" W x 12" H
10 Gallons

The area where the original fuel tank was located is now my front trunk area and should hold a couple duffle bags....

The new radiator and fuel cell wil fit in the front something like this.....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Sideways
post Feb 1 2006, 05:26 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 4,969

Looking good so far...

I am currently working towards a suby conversion myself, still in planning mode however. I am looking at putting the radiator in the front with an eye to turbo or other engine mods. Looking at you radiator and fuel cell location where are you going to vent the radiator?

Where did you source your engine from?

Sorry about all the questions...Keep fighting the good fight...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 08:16 AM