Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tire Sizes, Tire Sizes
makinson1
post Aug 28 2003, 08:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,021

What are the biggest, lowest, widest tires I can stuff under a stock 914/4 without runing into interferance problems?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JWest
post Aug 28 2003, 08:58 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 97
Region Association: None

335/10/10 but you would have trouble finding and rim and you'd have to run pedal brakes from a Schwinn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

Oh, you want a serious answer? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

How about 205/50/15 or 205/45/16 with the typical rims.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 28 2003, 09:40 AM
Post #3

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

All tires of the same size are not the same size. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) What?

Not all 205 are the same. Go to the TireRack website and look up the tire's specs which has the actual overall, tread size, diameter, etc. Compare the tires and you'll see there is as much as a 1/2" variance between some of them.

And also your car may be different side to side.

So start with a 205, check out which one you what (Kumhos, Toyos, etc) and than see if they will fit your car.

Paul
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Aug 28 2003, 09:42 AM
Post #4

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

Be careful with the 205's. If you know someone that is
running 205's ask them to try them on your car. You might have to roll your fenders to get them to fit. The
PO of my 914 rolled the fenders so he could run 205's
for autocross.

-Garold
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 28 2003, 09:50 AM
Post #5

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

for me, 195/60 15 yoko as302 on oem 4 lug fuchs. clears the lip (unrolled) nicely. no front rub, lock to lock. i think that size looks proportional in the wells.

kevin
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Aug 28 2003, 10:12 AM
Post #6

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I run the 205/15's Nito on a repro Fuch. I have loads of clearance. Was thinking of trying the 225.
bruce
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 28 2003, 10:34 AM
Post #7

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

195s on stock wheels will fit pretty much any 914 with no fender modifications required. They will often rub the front inner fender just aft of the shock tower, but that's only when you crank the steering wheel all the way to the end. Most people just accept that some wear will occur like that and are careful.

I've seen 195/45-15 tires on a 914. Black rubber bands. Too short-looking for my tastes... (Picture below.) I run 195/50-15s on mine. Still pretty short...

205s will fit on most 914s on stock wheels without requiring any fender modifications. Some 914s have to flatten the lip on the rear fender, and some have to pull out or roll the fender itself out to fit them. 205/60-15 is a popular size that is close to the original overall diameter. 205/50-15 is a very popular size locally (PCA Zone 7) for autoXing.

Some aftermarket wheels won't let you fit anything wider than 195s at all. Some will actually let you fit 205s. VW Bug wheels won't fit anything wider than 165s under stock fenders.

Some very few 914s are fortunate enough to have room for tires wider than 205s in the back without modifying the fenders. Nice trick...

Most tire shops won't want to put tires wider than 205 width on a 5.5" wide rim, which is the stock size. Lower profile tires will be harder to mount on a "too-narrow" rim as well.

Note that tires with a smaller overall diameter than stock will give you shorter gearing than stock. Better acceleration, but you will have to shift more often--and you will have to run higher RPMs on the freeway.

Hope this helps some.

--DD

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Aug 28 2003, 12:27 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I am running 205/55/16 Yoko ES100 on my stock fendered car right now on 16x6 5-bolt fuchs wheels. This is w/ a little lower car but running little to no wheel camber.

I also have a set of 205/55 or 60/15 Bridgestone's on 2.0 4-bolt Fuchs wheels (anyone wanna buy them?) They both fit in no problem, maybe I'm just lucky w/ my car.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 10:21 AM