Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> stuck on i-5 please help, using my cell phone, call if you can
bd1308
post Jan 15 2006, 01:34 AM
Post #21

Sir Post-a-lot

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,501

QUOTE (cbenitah @ Jan 15 2006, 01:32 AM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 14 2006, 11:20 PM)
your distributor isnt dead...

either your points are dead or your points replacement is dead.

pm me a good time to call...i'm like the ultimate at road-side fix-ups.....

i carry two spare dizzy's in my trunk...fully loaded and gapped.

if you can, grab a flathead, a 10mm wrench, a sharpie marker, ignition points, a condensor (available from FLAPS) and a coke and pm me when i can call you...volt meter if you got one too...it would help tremendously. Otherwise get one of those "low voltage" outdoor garden lamp bulbs and some wire....

i'll get ya going in 10 minutes.....

b

well, that sounds great (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) but right now im in san diego 85 miles from my car.. its at the albertsons parking lot.. all alone.. and now i just need it to get moved to Don's work shop... since i need this car to be reliable (as much as it can get hahah) for a while.. i dont have another car and i cant get up there to "test" work on it if you understand...

But if anyone is close aka, happend to have a trailer and is going by Rainbow (temecula) CA... drop my car of at dons.. its open since i cant lock it!

well, thanks guys, i hope i can move it by tomorrow.. its not easy when this is your only car. i cant get to school w/o it or nothing.

thanks guys though! you are the best!

um....

my 914 is also my DD, so you and me are in the same boat.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) I hope everything works out okay....If you could get a ride or something out there, lemme know and i'll help you out....

b
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jan 15 2006, 01:38 AM
Post #22

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

Okay, I had an Ljet car and had a similar problem. As mentioned above, the CHT temp sensor wire if it comes loose, can short out and cause the engine to stop running. Either way, there are a fwe things that will keep an engine from running...

1. No gas. Check to see if the pump is pumping gas. Maybe the fuel pump died. This can be checked byh either listening to the pump, or disconnecting it and letting it shoot fuel out onto the ground.. (be careful)

2. No spark. Disconnect a wire going to a spark plug while cranking. This will be hard I assume without another person.... And let it arc to the engine tin or someother good ground. if you have a spark, then there's got to be a fuel delivery problem (could be a pump, or no injector signal)

Once you've determined that you are getting a spark and gas, you have ruled out a lot of problems. If you are missing one or the other you can try to figure out how to fix it. If its your ignition points or module you won't have a spark... If no fuel then a disconencted fuel line or a bad pump.

If you are truly getting no igniting fuel of any kind (no noise other than the starter) and the cranking just keeps going I'd be willing to bet its ignition or the ECU thinking the CHT is gone, or something like that.

-Tony
+Quote Post
cbenitah
post Jan 15 2006, 01:41 AM
Post #23

Protected by the Swedish Maffia

Member No.: 4,597

QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Jan 14 2006, 11:38 PM)
Okay, I had an Ljet car and had a similar problem. As mentioned above, the CHT temp sensor wire if it comes loose, can short out and cause the engine to stop running. Either way, there are a fwe things that will keep an engine from running...

1. No gas. Check to see if the pump is pumping gas. Maybe the fuel pump died. This can be checked byh either listening to the pump, or disconnecting it and letting it shoot fuel out onto the ground.. (be careful)

2. No spark. Disconnect a wire going to a spark plug while cranking. This will be hard I assume without another person....

Once you've determined that you are getting a spark and gas, you have ruled out a lot of problems. If you are missing one or the other you can try to figure out how to fix it. If its your ignition points or module you won't have a spark... If no fuel then a disconencted fuel line or a bad pump.

If you are truly getting no igniting fuel of any kind (no noise other than the starter) and the cranking just keeps going I'd be willing to bet its ignition or the ECU thinking the CHT is gone, or something like that.

-Tony

just the guy i wanted!

haha, i want that suby engine so bad! (2.5 NA) but my $4K wont go far i guess???

i dont have a spark, my firend helped me with that.. no spark what so ever... it also looked like the dist points were closed.. i think i said that right... it gets fuel i think... hmm,
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jan 15 2006, 01:49 AM
Post #24

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

$4k would totally pay for a Subaru conversion, assuming you do some work yourself. Anybody can do this conversion. I have no special tools, practically no room, and I'm in to it for very very little money.

Sorry I must have glossed over the comment about no spark. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

-Tony
+Quote Post
cbenitah
post Jan 15 2006, 01:56 AM
Post #25

QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Jan 14 2006, 11:49 PM)
$4k would totally pay for a Subaru conversion, assuming you do some work yourself. Anybody can do this conversion. I have no special tools, practically no room, and I'm in to it for very very little money.

Sorry I must have glossed over the comment about no spark. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

-Tony

but it would take a long time to locate the needed parts right? i will do a suby conv in time.. but i need the money since i dont belive that me and my friend can do it.. he just rebuilt his bmw 2002 motor though.. but it seams to be a lot into it, since you can buy the parts for roughly 1500-2000 and then if someone would do the instlation it would come out to 6k??!? that doesnt make sense to me...

is it super expensive to do it at a shop? or maybe do most of it mysef and then make them install the motor? i dunno
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Jan 15 2006, 03:47 AM
Post #26

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

i dont have a spark, my firend helped me with that.. no spark what so ever... it also looked like the dist points were closed..

dude,
when you get back to your car, make sure that within the distributor when the "lobe" get s to the high point your points open ever so slightly. approximately .015" i think... when the points open, that is what make the spark plugs spark. yes, a huge oversimplification... but might help.

This post has been edited by rogergrubb: Jan 15 2006, 03:51 AM
+Quote Post
Brando
post Jan 15 2006, 04:28 AM
Post #27

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

You want that gap between the two contacts at about 0.015 (as mentioned)... Or, the thickness of a business card, matchstick... As britt mentioned, check the dual relay packs... that the wires are still in there. They get shoddy or no connection = nadda.

If you're getting no spark, try swapping a new coil (Bosch blue), it may have fired it's last spark and it's always good to keep a spare in your "emergency road kit", which should also contain a spare fuel pump, two sets of points and condensors, extra plug wires, some wrenches, brake fluid, 2 quarts of oil, 3ft length of extra wire and fuses. Definitely add a jack if you don't have the stock one.

Anyhow, the coil's probably smoked. If when cranking it over you don't see the tach bounce... Coil = deadeth.

Whoops! Scratch that... L-Jet, the Tach is ECU-Controlled.
+Quote Post
Allan
post Jan 15 2006, 10:22 AM
Post #28

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304

What's the latest?

Get it running?

BTW, did you happen to see a dark grey /6 conversion while you were at Dons place? Was the motor out of it?
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Jan 15 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #29

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

i dunno whats going on...
+Quote Post
lagunero
post Jan 15 2006, 11:32 AM
Post #30

Donkey Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,531

Chris, left a message.

Here's the deal SoCal members. I have a trailer on loan until mid next week. Unfortunately I do not have the time today or tomorrow to tow his car to Temecula. I can however p/u his car later today from the lot and push it (I hope) onto the trailer and bring it back to Lake Forest. I will lend my suburban to the brave soul who is willing to tow his car with my truck and a third party trailer.
+Quote Post
cbenitah
post Jan 15 2006, 12:56 PM
Post #31

QUOTE (Headrage @ Jan 15 2006, 08:22 AM)
What's the latest?

Get it running?

BTW, did you happen to see a dark grey /6 conversion while you were at Dons place? Was the motor out of it?

I havent been able to get up there... its not easy to travel 85miles w/o a car.. and i dont know that many people yet. So im trying to figure out options..

yes i saw your car, and the engine is still inside... what size /6 is it?
+Quote Post
Allan
post Jan 15 2006, 01:08 PM
Post #32

Teenerless Weenie

QUOTE (cbenitah @ Jan 15 2006, 10:56 AM)
what size /6 is it?

Bummer, I was hoping it was out and apart. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

Maybe this week...
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Jan 15 2006, 02:23 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 2,461

I'd really like to help, but I had a tooth worked on last friday, was doing fine, until I drove home from the BBQ last night. Made it home and took the pain killers the dentist gave me, and I'm still taking them. I DON'T drive on pain killers. Cops don't care that it's prescribed, it's still a DUI. I've got better things to do with $20-30 thousand, that's the going rate here in CA now days. So pain killers and cars don't mix, see the dentist tomorrow.

There's a autocross today at Qualcomm, I'm pretty sure most of the guys are down there, I was registered for it too. Maybe after it's over, some of the guys will check the site and be able to help you out.

Sorry and Good Luck, Don

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 15 2006, 02:38 PM
Post #34

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Brando @ Jan 15 2006, 02:28 AM)
Whoops! Scratch that... L-Jet, the Tach is ECU-Controlled.

No, it runs off the points, just the way the tachs in the D-jet cars do. The EFI also runs off the ignition points in the L-jet cars, perhaps that's where the confusion is coming from?

Anyway, I agree with checking the points and condensor. Make sure that the points do open and close. Make sure that the "hot" side of the coil (fatter black wire, may have a red stripe) gets +12V when the key is on. You can use a ground wire touched to the (-) terminal of the coil and removed to simulate the points opening and closing (unplug the points wire, the tach wire, and the FI wire from that terminal first!) to test the coil. If you get a spark from the center terminal (run the wire about 1/8" from a ground) when you do that, the coil is OK.

--DD
+Quote Post
cbenitah
post Jan 15 2006, 02:51 PM
Post #35

i wanted to go there as well.. to show that my car actually runs fine.. Don did an amazing job..

ok, question. in sweden you can tie a towe rope onto a car and towe it that way "drag it" is that ok here as well?? I just need to get the car to Don or to someones house... so its not exposed to theifs..

what do u guys think i should do? i dont know where to loo.. tried uhal but dont get how to rent something that can bring my car home.. since i dont have a big truck that can take a trailer...

or if anyone is willing to meet up there at the parking lot and try to egt it started.. if you have all the needed supplies I'll bring the $$$ and the (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
cbenitah
post Jan 15 2006, 04:10 PM
Post #36

does anyone have a trailer i can use tonight? i may be able to get at car with a towe hitch... but uhal wont rent me the trailer.. i think its a foreign thing!
+Quote Post
Allan
post Jan 15 2006, 04:12 PM
Post #37

Teenerless Weenie

Get ahold of Alberto.
+Quote Post
cbenitah
post Jan 15 2006, 04:30 PM
Post #38

I did.. he is calling me back soon.. i hope this works.. i can probably get up there around 8 or 9 tonight.. so if i could use the trailer/truck it would be great.. im crossing my fingers
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jan 15 2006, 04:51 PM
Post #39

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

AAA is your 914s BESTEST FRIEND....get the one with the 100 mile tow.
+Quote Post
cbenitah
post Jan 15 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #40

QUOTE ("*" @ Jan 15 2006, 02:51 PM)
AAA is your 914s BESTEST FRIEND....get the one with the 100 mile tow.

u have to be a member for a longer time than 4months to get that...... i hae 7 miles/24h.. so i could use them a week straight 7 miles a day=they would (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif) me
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 10:30 AM