Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tow bar question, Will it work?
jimkelly
post Jan 17 2006, 08:40 AM
Post #21

Delaware USA

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I think Dan's idea to modify one id David's plates is an excellent one and using the super beeetle tow baw also good - priovided the SB tow bar is reinforced.

In order to come straight out from under the 914 and keep the tow bar horizontal - I drew this image. Pink being the modification needed to the SB tow bar - with a plate from David that protrudes out the front of the 914 but just under the LE front spoiler?

** change idea - have David's plate remain under car - and not protrude froward past the front of the le spoiler for looks sake. Instead further modify the tow bar to have the protrusion to reacvh back to David's plate bolted to the suspension point. Maybe a thicker plate that has threaded holes for the tow bar to be bolted thru to.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jan 17 2006, 09:00 AM
Post #22

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Jim Kelly

Here's a (poor) picture of my tow bar attachment. It's made out of flat bar (approx 2"x1/2") and attached to the floor pan with (11) bolts/nuts. It's very sturdy. It was on the car & I didn't take it off because of protection going over bumps. The car's in storage so I can't get dimensions till spring.

Hope this gives you an idea for another choice.

Tom

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dlee1967
post Jan 17 2006, 09:01 AM
Post #23

V8Lurker

Member No.: 327
Region Association: None

Jim, I worked a bit on the design last night and it is tricky to have reasonable ground clearance and a stock valance. Maybe all tow bar users should just go with spoilers? I have modified my plates to pick up all three front suspension bolts, there is a joining bar from plate to plate and then an attachment for the tow bar. I am going to cut a short run on the plasma table and then mock a few versions up this weekend. When I get closer, I will pull in an engineering buddy to run the loads. I don't want anyone to lose there pride and joy. Getting closer. DLee
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Jan 17 2006, 09:34 AM
Post #24

Delaware USA

So having an LE front spoiler on my car gives me an advantage - great.

Using all three mounting points is good and connecting the plates to each other should also add strength - great.

Jim
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jan 17 2006, 10:49 AM
Post #25

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Jim Kelly

Thanks for the PM. My camera is broken and my car is in storage so I am not able to get more info. I believe you are on the right track with a fabricated piece.

I found this front end picture of my tow bar attachment. It shows location (attachment) points below the stock front valance. It really works good and has taken many scraps protecting the front over driveway inclines. Don't need to call AAA if the car breaks down. Call anyone with a tow hitch.

Tom

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dlee1967
post Jan 19 2006, 12:30 PM
Post #26

V8Lurker

All right......I have a working prototype using the SB bar (with some stiffening and rewelding of the tabs). I modified my tow eye plates to pick up all three captured nuts on each side of the front torsion bar mount. They are pretty stout, but still low profile.

Right now I am looking at building a jig to weld up production units. If anyone has a parts car that they are willing to cut the front torsion bar mounts out of with about a 6" wide strip of metal to hold them together, I would be very grateful. I only have one spare car in my storage and it is destined to go back together. I need this to get the angles right. If not available, I will have to make a jig from scratch. This would take me a bit more time.

Help me have these ready before WCC....06.
David Lee
+Quote Post
Leo Imperial
post Jan 20 2006, 07:20 AM
Post #27

Do you have to use so many cuss words?

Member No.: 3,192

David I sent you a PM.
I got a sb towbar and want to use your plates.
Not sure if it is possible. The time frame is tight.
+Quote Post
dlee1967
post Jan 22 2006, 09:00 PM
Post #28

V8Lurker

I ran a few laps with a 914 V8 connected behind my Expedition and all is well. I will run my design by one of our house engineers in the morning. My first prototype utilizes 1/4 steel and I will go to 3/8 for added stiffening. I also need to move the pin tabs about 1" higher to add additional ground clearance.

NOW THE MAGIC QUESTION......WHAT ARE THESE GUYS WORTH? WHAT WOULD OWNERS FEEL COMFORTABLE PAYING FOR A BOLT ON BRACKET THAT ALLOWS YOU TO USE THE COMMON SUPER BEETLE $60 TOW BAR WITH A 914 WITHOUT ANY MODIFICATION? THIS ADAPTER IS TOTALLY REVERSABLE (DOES NOT HARM THE CAR). THE ADAPTER CAN BE MOUNTED IN ABOUT 10 - 15 MINUTES AND CAN STAY ON THE CAR. YOU THEN ONLY HAVE TO PULL TWO PINS AND ATTACH SAFETY CHAINS.

SO GUYS.....WHAT IS IT WORTH?
+Quote Post
Leo Imperial
post Jan 22 2006, 09:07 PM
Post #29

Do you have to use so many cuss words?

Member No.: 3,192

$100 and please send it now!
I know you want to test it first.
Are they going to mount between the body and the a-arm?
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Jan 22 2006, 09:27 PM
Post #30

Delaware USA

david,

have you determined that the sb tow bar is strong enough in stock form or do you need to stiffen it - in which case you would have to ship the tow bar and the tab assy to customers?

Look forward to a pic of the final product - it is one piece?

Jim
+Quote Post
DanT
post Jan 23 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #31

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

Yea David,
Let's see what you got. I have been waiting for my car to come back from the paint shop to fab up my tow bar attachments. If you have come up with something that can be sent out soon, I might consider using that instead of fabbing up my own.
How about a sneak preview since this was my idea to use your baseplates? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
how about a trade in for some blank baseplates? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif)

Thanks
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jan 23 2006, 03:04 AM
Post #32

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE (dlee1967 @ Jan 22 2006, 08:00 PM)
I ran a few laps with a 914 V8 connected behind my Expedition and all is well. I will run my design by one of our house engineers in the morning. My first prototype utilizes 1/4 steel and I will go to 3/8 for added stiffening. I also need to move the pin tabs about 1" higher to add additional ground clearance.

NOW THE MAGIC QUESTION......WHAT ARE THESE GUYS WORTH? WHAT WOULD OWNERS FEEL COMFORTABLE PAYING FOR A BOLT ON BRACKET THAT ALLOWS YOU TO USE THE COMMON SUPER BEETLE $60 TOW BAR WITH A 914 WITHOUT ANY MODIFICATION? THIS ADAPTER IS TOTALLY REVERSABLE (DOES NOT HARM THE CAR). THE ADAPTER CAN BE MOUNTED IN ABOUT 10 - 15 MINUTES AND CAN STAY ON THE CAR. YOU THEN ONLY HAVE TO PULL TWO PINS AND ATTACH SAFETY CHAINS.

SO GUYS.....WHAT IS IT WORTH?

I've got $50-100 just waiting for ya. Thanks for the effort! You're going to help me get a 914 to WCC '06
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 23 2006, 03:49 AM
Post #33

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

If its just brackets? And they are bolt on...

If its something that the avid at home builder like myself and the rest of the 914 guys are...

I'd say 40-60 bucks. That would give the buyer a tow system for under $150 bolt in.

show us pictures... I'll tell you what i'd pay if I had a picture.

But if you would have built it for the other mount.. that would have been better.

But lets see what you got!

I'll be using it (maybe...) to get to the wcc as well!
+Quote Post
dlee1967
post Jan 23 2006, 09:45 AM
Post #34

V8Lurker

Here are a few pics of the design and mock up. REMEMBER>>>>>>this is only a mock up using 1/4" steel and is not strong enough for production versions. If you decide to knock it off, make sure you have engineering to back up your work!

The final versions will be in 3/8" plate and will include hardware. All you would have to do is buy a SB tow bar locally. (this really saves on shipping expense)

The bar is a direct bolt on to the OUTSIDE of the torsion bar front attachment and also picks up the third bolt for the protective cab. The SB is strong enough to handle even a V8 914. (just don't back up with it!)

Still batting around the price and will finalize that after running my first batch of plate. At least it is a one piece affair. I will also include new hardware as the front bolts will not be long enough if you attempt to use them.

Feedback?

Please don't rush me on this one. We are still weeks (not months) away as I need to get me pieces plazma cut and complete my welding fixtures. WCC is doable. Next week is not.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dlee1967
post Jan 23 2006, 09:46 AM
Post #35

V8Lurker

another

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dlee1967
post Jan 23 2006, 09:46 AM
Post #36

V8Lurker

last

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Jan 23 2006, 10:08 AM
Post #37

Delaware USA

Looks good - exactly what I was looking for.

As for pricing - you sell the eye hook plates for $45 a pair so I could see $75-90 for the larger assy plus slightly more than actual cost for all the hardware - just my 2 cents.

Jim

--
+Quote Post
andys
post Jan 23 2006, 11:00 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

Couple of pic's of how I id mine. I tied into the original bumper shock mounting points.

Andys

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DanT
post Jan 23 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #39

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

David,
That looks great. Exactly what I had envisioned for mine. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

I believe the actual attachment points can be raised quite a bit.

I was even thinking about notching the base plate so the SB bar could sit up even higher at the attachment point. That way you would get much more ground clearance.
That would also make most of the force being put on the base plates a shear force rather than a torquing force. If you get what I mean. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Jan 23 2006, 11:35 AM
Post #40

Delaware USA

that is very robust but intrusive?

David has found a good compromise between total strength and a permanent installation!

This way anyone with a tow ball can get me to safety : )

Jim
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 01:06 AM