Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> road trip pit crew....
scottb
post Feb 13 2003, 09:01 PM
Post #1

who wants a PEZ?!

Group: Members
Member No.: 32
Region Association: North East States

takin' the teener on a winter trip from maryland to mass tomorrow. weather appears to be anything from sun to snow depending on which weather liar believe (man, i want that job). up through pa, across lower ny yhen into western mass with a drop into springfield. so if i sputter out, besides aaa, anyone on the route?!?!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tryan
post Feb 13 2003, 09:24 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 184

sign up for aaa tonight and carry a cap/points/button , clutch cable and duct tape. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

the rain is supposed to come through about noon friday ... 500 miles south.

i would leave right now and beat it.
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Feb 13 2003, 09:33 PM
Post #3

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

Don't forget a spare alternator belt and as many tools as you can carry.
+Quote Post
scottb
post Feb 13 2003, 09:38 PM
Post #4

who wants a PEZ?!

ok, have the tools, no belt, but just put in new cap and rotor. have a cell phone and a credit card in case i crap out en route. man, road trip paranoia is annoying....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

taking the teener up for storage and gonna buy a new house on the trip. keep your fingers crossed!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
scottb
post Feb 20 2003, 02:19 PM
Post #5

who wants a PEZ?!

trip went very well. teener ran great and i had a chance to mess with a new mustang gt on the taconic highway in new york (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)

but.........

heater wasn't working so i am glad i am done having kids cuz i froze my nuts off! that i can fix later.

and the speedo became possessed about halfway through the trip. would bounce between 60 and 120 mph while in 5th gear at about 3k rpm. any ideas on what is causing this issue?

have the car in storage until all the snow in new england melts (i figure august for that).

cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

scott
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Feb 20 2003, 05:50 PM
Post #6

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

My speedo did the same thing on the way back from British Columbia with the 70....it bounced around for about 4-5 hrs then quit. I just drove the rest of the way home using the tack to guestimate my speed. It's on my list of things to do when it gets warm out again -28 with windchill today. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
krk
post Feb 20 2003, 06:37 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 22

This has happened to me once as well, tho it was quite a while ago. I believe it goes like this -- the swing effect is caused by a friction point somewhere on the speedo cable. The binding and unbinding causes a spring like effect using the lenght of the cable sort of like a torsion bar. The erratic cable speed shows up because the speedo tries to read it. After a while, the friction takes care of the working cable and makes it into a two part cable.

Unless you can see a kink in the cable or something like that, you're prolly looking at a new cable.

hth. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

kim.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 03:16 AM