Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: road trip pit crew....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottb
takin' the teener on a winter trip from maryland to mass tomorrow. weather appears to be anything from sun to snow depending on which weather liar believe (man, i want that job). up through pa, across lower ny yhen into western mass with a drop into springfield. so if i sputter out, besides aaa, anyone on the route?!?!? wavey.gif mueba.gif aktion035.gif
tryan
sign up for aaa tonight and carry a cap/points/button , clutch cable and duct tape. huh.gif

the rain is supposed to come through about noon friday ... 500 miles south.

i would leave right now and beat it.
jonwatts
Don't forget a spare alternator belt and as many tools as you can carry.
scottb
ok, have the tools, no belt, but just put in new cap and rotor. have a cell phone and a credit card in case i crap out en route. man, road trip paranoia is annoying....... smash.gif

taking the teener up for storage and gonna buy a new house on the trip. keep your fingers crossed!!!!! mueba.gif
scottb
trip went very well. teener ran great and i had a chance to mess with a new mustang gt on the taconic highway in new york finger.gif

but.........

heater wasn't working so i am glad i am done having kids cuz i froze my nuts off! that i can fix later.

and the speedo became possessed about halfway through the trip. would bounce between 60 and 120 mph while in 5th gear at about 3k rpm. any ideas on what is causing this issue?

have the car in storage until all the snow in new england melts (i figure august for that).

cheers! beer.gif

scott
GWN7
My speedo did the same thing on the way back from British Columbia with the 70....it bounced around for about 4-5 hrs then quit. I just drove the rest of the way home using the tack to guestimate my speed. It's on my list of things to do when it gets warm out again -28 with windchill today. blink.gif
krk
This has happened to me once as well, tho it was quite a while ago. I believe it goes like this -- the swing effect is caused by a friction point somewhere on the speedo cable. The binding and unbinding causes a spring like effect using the lenght of the cable sort of like a torsion bar. The erratic cable speed shows up because the speedo tries to read it. After a while, the friction takes care of the working cable and makes it into a two part cable.

Unless you can see a kink in the cable or something like that, you're prolly looking at a new cable.

hth. mueba.gif

kim.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.