Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> rear trailing arm question, to go 5 lug or not
Tom
post Jan 31 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,626
Region Association: None

Posted earlier but called them read control arms. missleading by a newbie! But, I am learning! OK maybe a little.
I pulled both off due to side to side movement. Took one apart- inside bushing 75% gone, don't know where it went. Outside bushing is very worn and brittle and now in pieces. So basically I need to replace both side bushings. The hubs are pretty noisey also, so should put in new bearings. Well why not blast and paint too? Only thing is ,I do not have easy access to the sand blaster, press, and any other tools that would be needed to renew these trailing arms.
Here is the question. Would it be worth the extra $$$ to get Eric's package deal and go 5 lug at the same time?
Let me know what you think.
Thanks, Tom
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 20)
Mueller
post Feb 2 2006, 01:20 AM
Post #21

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE (ChicagoChris @ Feb 1 2006, 07:11 PM)
Handling improvements…yes or no?

If you convert to the 911 stuff you get a bigger piston in the calipers and a bigger torsion bars. So yes you get both better braking and better handling. You also get the advantage of vented rotors so again you get better braking.

If you go the route of re-drilling the front brakes to 5-bolt then no the changes won’t improve anything but the wheel options.

bigger does not mean Better......vented rotors don't make you stop faster unless you have repeated stops right after another (and you can have vented rotors with the 4-lug setup).....

larger torsion bars w/5-lug suspension only applies if you replace the a-arms as well, and then you need heavier springs to balance it all out...and since you can buy larger torsion bars for the 4 lug setup, it still does not make the 5-lug suspension better....

all I'm trying to say is that I don't want people to waste money converting to 5-lug cause they think it'll make thier car better...in most cases, it won't make a differance......of course I "might" have a slight intrest in keeping these cars 4-lug in order to get those darn billet hubs sold to clear up some space in my garage (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 10:43 AM