Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear trailing arm question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom
Posted earlier but called them read control arms. missleading by a newbie! But, I am learning! OK maybe a little.
I pulled both off due to side to side movement. Took one apart- inside bushing 75% gone, don't know where it went. Outside bushing is very worn and brittle and now in pieces. So basically I need to replace both side bushings. The hubs are pretty noisey also, so should put in new bearings. Well why not blast and paint too? Only thing is ,I do not have easy access to the sand blaster, press, and any other tools that would be needed to renew these trailing arms.
Here is the question. Would it be worth the extra $$$ to get Eric's package deal and go 5 lug at the same time?
Let me know what you think.
Thanks, Tom
ChicagoChris
The package for the rears is a good deal. And if you don't have access to equipment then it is a better deal. Are you gust redrilling the fronts or changing to the 911 for the brakes?

Chris
Aaron Cox
my ride be sporting PMB eric shea rear arms...

saved me tons of hastle....

he put the new bushings, bearings in etc....

well worth the money....

eric, you can paypal me 10.00 for this shameless plug tongue.gif

for real... it simply bolts up. he does all the hard stuff....
Eric_Shea
Eric is a cheat and a crook. (just saying that to offset Aarons lucious post and save myself $10 smackeroos) w00t.gif

Tom, I decided to offer that system for all the reasons you mentioned.

If you have those tools or want to job the stuff out yourself you can save a few clams but it sounds like you've done the math.

Let me know if you need me.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jan 31 2006, 06:03 PM)
Eric is a cheat and a crook. (just saying that to offset Aarons lucious post and save myself $10 smackeroos) w00t.gif

agree.gif

Let me know if you need me.

i tried that. you never called back..... laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
You're helping to 'Perpetuate' the myth aaron.gif

I got yelled at for that once! laugh.gif
Tom
Chris,
Don't really know what I'm going to do right now. The 5-lug rear hubs with the 5-lug front rotors sounds like a really nice way to go, but then I must get wheels and tires also. Almost forgot, would need 914-6 rear brake rotors too. Total expense is getting so big ,I may just get bushings and bearings and stay 4-lug for now.
Eric,
Thanks for the reply. How much would you charge to do my trailing arms but keeping the 4-lug hubs? I need the bushings , new bearings and the blast and paint.
Thanks, Tom
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Tom @ Feb 1 2006, 04:23 PM)
Eric,
Thanks for the reply. How much would you charge to do my trailing arms but keeping the 4-lug hubs? I need the bushings , new bearings and the blast and paint.
Thanks, Tom

popcorn[1].gif
Eric_Shea
$275.00 wink.gif
Tom
Eric,
I think that will be my way to go for now. I will get back to you when I am ready to ship them to you.
Thanks, Tom
ChicagoChris
The cost is to high?

You can re-drill the rear brake rotors in much the same way the hubs are re-drilled. I have been introduced to a different way (ie: more cost effective) way to upgrade the handling and keep the price of the front conversion in check. The difference maker is what you want out if the car.

1 just the 5-bolt?
2 5-bolt with better handling?
3 bigger brakes, better handling, and the 5-bolt?

So what is it gonna’ be? popcorn[1].gif
Tom
Chris,
Agree with what you are saying, but , I want to get the car on the road this spring and I have a limited budget. So , that being the deciding factor, I will go the less expensive way for now ,then make modifications to enhance handling later.
By the way , I had a 70 1.7 back in the mid 70's that had fiberglass GT flares and had Pirelli CN36's (215 front/ 235 rear) that was an awsome handling car. Maybe later I will modify this one too, but for now I just want it on the road and running good. This is phase one! The only thing holding up phase two istime and $$$.
Eric,
Is the address on the PMB website the correct shipping address? May try to get these shipped this weekend. Are you looking at a couple of weeks to ship back? If so, that will be fine with my schedule.
Tom
Eric_Shea
Yup... ship away.

Sounds like you've got the cost of wheels and tires factored in there. Wise. It can get pretty steep.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jan 31 2006, 05:09 PM)
You're helping to 'Perpetuate' the myth aaron.gif
I got yelled at for that once! laugh.gif

agree.gif i smell another pillow fight! gayfight.gif

as for the original question, i'd have eric do all the hard work ... smile.gif

btw. eric, i'll be contacting you shortly for some of your stuff as well ...
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
Mueller
QUOTE (ChicagoChris @ Feb 1 2006, 03:24 PM)
The cost is to high?

You can re-drill the rear brake rotors in much the same way the hubs are re-drilled. I have been introduced to a different way (ie: more cost effective) way to upgrade the handling and keep the price of the front conversion in check. The difference maker is what you want out if the car.

1 just the 5-bolt?
2 5-bolt with better handling?
3 bigger brakes, better handling, and the 5-bolt?

So what is it gonna’ be? popcorn[1].gif

there is no way on Earth that converting to 5-lug can improve handleing...it's done for looks and wider range of rims....

you don't get bigger brakes with 5-lug until you install '84 or newer stuff and even then it's over rated for 90% of the 914 driving population.....

SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 1 2006, 04:07 PM)
there is no way on Earth that converting to 5-lug can improve handleing...it's done for looks and wider range of rims....

well, sort of. indirectly.

5-lug gives you access to a wider range of wheels, long wheel studs and spacers.
thus, it's much easier with 5-lug to widen the track of your car, which, in return, can improve handling ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
Daddy's not getting enough sleep. biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 1 2006, 05:07 PM)
you don't get bigger brakes with 5-lug until you install '84 or newer stuff and even then it's over rated for 90% of the 914 driving population.....

i beg to differ.

S calipers were available pre 73, (bigger, lighter thus "better")
A calipers were around in 74......
SC and Carrera calipers etc.....

post 84 stuff just got bigger...... thats all folks....
ChicagoChris
Handling improvements…yes or no?

If you convert to the 911 stuff you get a bigger piston in the calipers and a bigger torsion bars. So yes you get both better braking and better handling. You also get the advantage of vented rotors so again you get better braking.

If you go the route of re-drilling the front brakes to 5-bolt then no the changes won’t improve anything but the wheel options.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (ChicagoChris @ Feb 1 2006, 07:11 PM)

If you convert to the 911 stuff you get a bigger piston in the calipers and a bigger torsion bars. So yes you get both better braking and better handling. You also get the advantage of vented rotors so again you get better braking.

If you go the route of re-drilling the front brakes to 5-bolt then no the changes won’t improve anything but the wheel options.

werd agree.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (ChicagoChris @ Feb 1 2006, 07:11 PM)

bigger does not mean Better......vented rotors don't make you stop faster unless you have repeated stops right after another (and you can have vented rotors with the 4-lug setup).....

larger torsion bars w/5-lug suspension only applies if you replace the a-arms as well, and then you need heavier springs to balance it all out...and since you can buy larger torsion bars for the 4 lug setup, it still does not make the 5-lug suspension better....

all I'm trying to say is that I don't want people to waste money converting to 5-lug cause they think it'll make thier car better...in most cases, it won't make a differance......of course I "might" have a slight intrest in keeping these cars 4-lug in order to get those darn billet hubs sold to clear up some space in my garage biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.