Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shock dimensions?, Struts and shocks...
jhadler
post Jan 31 2006, 05:28 PM
Post #1

Long term tinkerer...

Group: Members
Member No.: 529

So... I have a little extra money to invest in the car, and I came up with a list. On that list was getting my single adjustable Konis converted to double adjustable. Unfortunately, the prices I've found for the conversion are still a bit out of range.

Then I got to thinking... The roundy rounders know how to make good race parts, custom built, and tend to cost a good deal less than the gold plated world of Moton and the like.

Does anyone have dimensional specifications of the front strut inserts and rear shocks?

Body OD
Body length
Free length extended
Compressed length

And any other structural specs?

I'd like to hunt around to see if there any existing options from the roundy round tuners.

Oh yeah.. The list...

1) Set of Circle racing wheels (15x8 @ 13 lbs each) and a set of camber plates from Elephant Racing (or just the monoballs and a MegaSquirt ECU kit)

2) Set of Kodiak racing wheels (15x8 @ 10 lbs each)

3) Converted/Double adjustable shocks.

4) Save it for other stuff, like a new helmet, roll bar, and incidental expenses...

The logical choice would be 4, and is the front runner. But 1 and 3 are still in the hunt...

Thoughts?

-Josh2
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jan 31 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #2

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

How much is it to rebuild/convert single adustable (old style) Konis to dbl adjustable?
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Jan 31 2006, 06:06 PM
Post #3

Long term tinkerer...

QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Jan 31 2006, 03:57 PM)
How much is it to rebuild/convert single adustable (old style) Konis to dbl adjustable?

You're gonna love this...

Okay, there's three places to go for converting Konis to double.

Pro Parts
True Choice
Koni N/A

Pro Parts wanted around $600 per corner in front, and $400 per corner in back. I've also found a bit of negative feedback about Pro Parts, so would be hesitant to go there.

True Choice wants around $700 per corner in front and $600 per corner in back! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/av-943.gif)

I have yet to hear back from Koni North America, but would be surprised if they were alot cheaper. But who knows...

For contrast, a set of custom built Pensky's would be $750 a corner. Any length, any size, any valving.

Geez....

-Josh2
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Feb 1 2006, 11:53 AM
Post #4

Long term tinkerer...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
groot
post Feb 1 2006, 01:43 PM
Post #5

Dis member

Member No.: 1,444

I have double adjustable Konis on both ends and spent much less than that for new units.

I bought them from Koni NA. My brother used to work at Pro Parts West, but he couldn't get his pricing any longer, so I went with NA. I will not give money to True Choice ever if I can help it.

I'm using 8611s in the front... downside is the compression adjustment is on the bottom. I have 3011s in the back, which required some mods to the mounts... which should be done anyway IMHO. The stock setup puts the damper in bending.

BTW.... I have my old set of 8611s that I may be able to part with. It turned out to be only a wee bit more expensive to buy new ones (and I got them a bit shorter to allow a little more travel).
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Feb 1 2006, 01:49 PM
Post #6

Long term tinkerer...

PM sent
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 05:20 PM