Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shock dimensions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhadler
So... I have a little extra money to invest in the car, and I came up with a list. On that list was getting my single adjustable Konis converted to double adjustable. Unfortunately, the prices I've found for the conversion are still a bit out of range.

Then I got to thinking... The roundy rounders know how to make good race parts, custom built, and tend to cost a good deal less than the gold plated world of Moton and the like.

Does anyone have dimensional specifications of the front strut inserts and rear shocks?

Body OD
Body length
Free length extended
Compressed length

And any other structural specs?

I'd like to hunt around to see if there any existing options from the roundy round tuners.

Oh yeah.. The list...

1) Set of Circle racing wheels (15x8 @ 13 lbs each) and a set of camber plates from Elephant Racing (or just the monoballs and a MegaSquirt ECU kit)

2) Set of Kodiak racing wheels (15x8 @ 10 lbs each)

3) Converted/Double adjustable shocks.

4) Save it for other stuff, like a new helmet, roll bar, and incidental expenses...

The logical choice would be 4, and is the front runner. But 1 and 3 are still in the hunt...

Thoughts?

-Josh2
914werke
How much is it to rebuild/convert single adustable (old style) Konis to dbl adjustable?
jhadler
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Jan 31 2006, 03:57 PM)
How much is it to rebuild/convert single adustable (old style) Konis to dbl adjustable?

You're gonna love this...

Okay, there's three places to go for converting Konis to double.

Pro Parts
True Choice
Koni N/A

Pro Parts wanted around $600 per corner in front, and $400 per corner in back. I've also found a bit of negative feedback about Pro Parts, so would be hesitant to go there.

True Choice wants around $700 per corner in front and $600 per corner in back! av-943.gif

I have yet to hear back from Koni North America, but would be surprised if they were alot cheaper. But who knows...

For contrast, a set of custom built Pensky's would be $750 a corner. Any length, any size, any valving.

Geez....

-Josh2
jhadler
icon_bump.gif
groot
I have double adjustable Konis on both ends and spent much less than that for new units.

I bought them from Koni NA. My brother used to work at Pro Parts West, but he couldn't get his pricing any longer, so I went with NA. I will not give money to True Choice ever if I can help it.

I'm using 8611s in the front... downside is the compression adjustment is on the bottom. I have 3011s in the back, which required some mods to the mounts... which should be done anyway IMHO. The stock setup puts the damper in bending.

BTW.... I have my old set of 8611s that I may be able to part with. It turned out to be only a wee bit more expensive to buy new ones (and I got them a bit shorter to allow a little more travel).
jhadler
PM sent
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.