Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Doing valve clearance adjustment..., they seem way too tight
914zim
post Feb 3 2006, 11:26 PM
Post #1

Still pretty clueless...

Group: Members
Member No.: 962

Hey guys:

I wanted to check the clearances before I even started loosening things up and I'm finding they are way too tight (assuming I'm doing it right).

My 1976 914 only has about 76K miles on it and I'm not sure when the last valve clearance adjustment was done (if ever) and I've never done this procedure before.
I'm using the Cap'n's adjustment procedure and I'm looking at the chart that's provided.

Here's the issue... I can't measure any more than .006" on ANY valve! Most of them are between .002" and .005". I can't even get ANY size gauge on 2 of the valves!
What am I missing here? It was a little difficult to get the "rocking" part figured out, but I think you're supposed to measure when the opposing valve is at it's very lowest point. I this correct?

Is it possible that my valves clearances could really be this tight, or am I missing something major here? I was expecting them to be way loose if anything.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions from the experts on this.

Andy...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Feb 3 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #2

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

You need to adjust the valves every 3000 miles. I do mine every 1500. .006 on the intake .008 on exhaust. Otherwise they sink in from the constant hammering. My car was worse than yours when I bought it.
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Feb 4 2006, 01:40 AM
Post #3

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

On a stock engine.

I use 6 thou intake and 6 thou exhaust.

The old 6 & 8 setup was wrong in many manuals in my opinion.

I think the Crusty one will come along and set us all straight.

Thats my .02 worth

Twystd1
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Feb 4 2006, 01:45 AM
Post #4

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Porsche maintenence manual said 6 and 8. But the local porsche master said 6 and 6 would be fine as long as you actually keep up with adjustments. I just did mine the day before yesterday... 6 and 6. But I also do an adjustment every 1500miles
+Quote Post
GBallantine
post Feb 4 2006, 07:30 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,930

Anyone know what the recommended valve lash is on a race motor with chromoly valves?
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Feb 4 2006, 08:31 AM
Post #6

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Andy

If you are not sure use the top dead center method to check your settings. Better yet offer some beer (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif) to someone who's done it before to look over your shoulder. I suppose because I get kind of anal I would double check. Remember you want the lifter on the base circle of the cam when you check valve lash. Crusty's method relies on a couple of things. 1) 2 lifters on opposite sides of the enginge share the same cam lobe and 2) when one of those lifters is on the nose the other is on the base circle. So, if one valve is fully open the other is fully closed and can be adjusted. Once you get this method down it's easy and fast cause you never have to get out from under the car. My problem is I always get confused this way so I usually use the top dead center method. Somehow it just seems easier to remember. On a best case senerio you just got things screwed up with the position of the cam when you checked them and you just need to readjust (I suspect). Worst case, valve seats are dropping (I doubt). Anyway, get it checked out.

GBallantine

Do you really mean chromoly valves? I suspect you mean chromoly pushrods, in which case, the lash is 0.0. I like the rocker to just be able to move laterally on the rocker shaft with no feeling of lash. Much easier than messing with a feeler gauge.

Dave
+Quote Post
redshift
post Feb 4 2006, 08:44 AM
Post #7

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

When a rocker is all the way in, adjust other side.

When it's pushed all the way in... when it's more inside than out... when it looks least like the position of the other rockers..

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) You need a sketch?

M
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Feb 4 2006, 08:47 AM
Post #8

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

guys, dont F him up.

if you have a 2.0, i dont care where you're from or HOW often you check the valves, its .008 for exhaust and .006 for intake...

for a 1.7/1.8, its all .006.

the Milesean method is muy besser, sehr gut.

b
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Feb 4 2006, 09:40 AM
Post #9

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

VALVES DO NOT HAVE TO BE ADJUSTED EVERY 3,000 MILES!!!!!

I recommend every 6,000 that the valves should be checked... If the valves are tight its ONLY because of one reason and thats the fact theat the engine is running "over temp" and things are expanding and contracting too much.

It has been 3 years since a single valve needed adjusting in my 912E engine... I have checked them when I think about it, but have not needed to adjust a single one after 94,000 miles! The key is monitoring head temps and if the gauge goes over 400, then check the valves because they will be *tight*.

If your valves are tight, save the time of constantly adjusting them and spend it on finding and solving the problem thats the root of the tight valves- else you WILL be VERY sorry when something goes "BOOM" out of the blue one day while the car is running perfectly fine.

Buy a CHT gauge and live by it.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 4 2006, 10:23 AM
Post #10

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Feb 3 2006, 11:40 PM)
On a stock engine.

I use 6 thou intake and 6 thou exhaust.

The old 6 & 8 setup was wrong in many manuals in my opinion.

I think the Crusty one will come along and set us all straight.

Thats my .02 worth

Twystd1

.006"/.006" on engines with conventional steel valves, .006"/.008" on engines with sodium filled exhaust valves, which stock 2 liter engines have. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
914zim
post Feb 4 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #11

Still pretty clueless...

Guys:

I appreciate the help. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)

From what I'm reading, it is NOT unusual for the clearances to be this tight due to 2 things. 1) wearing over time "sinking in".
2) running over temp.

The temp gauge on my car is not working. This is on my list of things to address. Since it is the winter season here in Wisconsin, I'm not driving the car now and adjusting the valves seemed like the thing to do while it was put away for the winter, especially since I don't know when/if it was ever done. I haven't driven the 914 since October last year, so it's stone cold.

I'm just worried that I'll f*** things up worse than they may already be if I don't do it right and drop a valve because I did it wrong. At this point, I have not lossened anything up. I'm trying to take measurements before I even start, to see where I'm at.

I'll take another look at the PP tech article and maybe get my a** out in the garage again, even though it's freezing out there!

Thanks again. Any additonal comments would be great.
Andy...
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Feb 4 2006, 03:34 PM
Post #12

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

The stock temp gauge in your car is oil temp and its pretty worthless...

Install a CYLINDER HEAD TEMP GAUGE and live by it. It is entirely possible to fry your heads and still have cool oil.

Hot heads KILL, hot oil is very forgiving as long as you have pressure..
+Quote Post
914zim
post Feb 4 2006, 05:56 PM
Post #13

Still pretty clueless...

Thanks Jake.
I'll do a search, but can you make any recommendations on a CHT?

Andy...
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Feb 4 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #14

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

I just bought a dual Westach CHT gauge. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rocking nana.gif)
the unit CB performance is a decent one and works well enough.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Feb 4 2006, 08:37 PM
Post #15

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Just a quick question--

You realize that by "opposite valve", it means the same valve on the other side of the engine? I.e., when the exhaust valve on the left-front cylinder is open, you adjust the exhaust valve on the right-front cylinder?

...Just makin' sure.

If your valves are too loose, you'll hear one hell of a racket when you start the engine up. You may wind up "pounding" the parts, too, and doing some damage if you run it that way much. If the valves are too tight, they won't cool properly and you risk burning them, particularly the exhaust valves. Plus you'll leak out some compression and lose a little bit of power.

Maintenance schedule for valve adjustments is every 6,000 miles--every other oil change.

--DD
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Feb 4 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #16

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

As always... The Crusty one sets me straight...

Thanks...

Twystd1
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Feb 4 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hydraulic cam and lifters??
+Quote Post
914zim
post Feb 6 2006, 12:43 PM
Post #18

Still pretty clueless...

Thanks again guys... DD, yes I understand... I am using the PP tech article and also have a Haynes as references.

I'm concerned enough that I'll f*ck something up and make things worse, that I'm considering skipping the adjustment altogether and putting the covers back on.
I don't have any "lifter noise" and it seems to be runnng fine.
I just thought I'd do an adjustment since it's stored for the winter and it probably hasn't been done in quite some time (if at all).

Or, maybe I'll take the plugs out and give it another look. If I can turn the wheel easier, maybe I'll feel better about adjusting when doing the whole "rocking" thing.

The oil temperature gauge is not working and it does seem to run a bit hot, but I have nothing to compare it too. I probably should spend the time putting in the CHT like Jake recommended and see where I'm at with temperature first.

If I understand it correctly, if the valves are tight, this will cause it to run too hot. Is this correct?

Sorry guys, I guess I'm just trying to convince myself to JUST DO IT!!

Thanks agian for all the comments, suggestions and help.

Andy
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Feb 6 2006, 01:07 PM
Post #19

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

Put on long underwear, your wool hat, and JUST DO IT!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)

Nothin is more satisfying in my book than getting the maintenance tasks wired - a little preventative checking can go a long way!
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Feb 6 2006, 03:37 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 366

If your valves are that tight, and they ain't hydrolic lifters, you NEED to make them right at .006" Do not leave them as is. keep in mind if you are having trouble with adjustment, that you must be at or close to TDC when the valve measurement is taken. when making adjustment, the cam is set to give the biggest gap of the valve to rocker (at TDC) to check that you are not missing the correct TDC, turn the engine a bit, and assure the valves tighten up as you turn away from TDC, if the valves start to have MORE gap , then you were not at TDC the first time.

Valve adjustment is set at maximum valve gap (lash) if you can create a bigger gap by rotating the cam, then your initial timing marks was not correct.

Vavles too tight will result in a short engine life, no doubt about it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 11:45 PM