Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 2-rotary Mazda engine swap, smartasses need not apply
bd1308
post Feb 9 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #1

Sir Post-a-lot

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,501

I migth have the opportinity to get a free rotary engine (1.3L) 2-rotor motor. Apex seals are good from what I hear, which is good.

There is exactly one member here that has done this, could you pm me or something....?

b
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
Aaron Cox
post Feb 9 2006, 10:46 PM
Post #21

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

see if alpha can make you a set of titanium rotors (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Feb 9 2006, 10:46 PM
Post #22

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

Sorry, dood. Smartasses here are a fact of life. A sure fire way to attract them to your thread is to ask them to stay away....another fact of life, btw.
Just my smartassed .02
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Feb 9 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #23

Sir Post-a-lot

yeah (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

and maybe a titanium apex seal too.

b
+Quote Post
Rotary'14
post Feb 9 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 3,977

I checked my PMss,, and regarding mileage. I drove my converted car as a daily driver for 3 years in sucky Los Angeles traffic. Straight down the 110 from dodger stadium to Honda in Torrance. I drove in rush hour and the few times I kept my foot out of it I got combined mileage of 25 mpg. My set up at the time was a 13B streetport (= to a cam and PP) guestimated at 225 HP. I had a Holly projection 2D system. It ran sorta crappy,,,,

I used the Kennedy adapter plate,, it's an easy and proven system.

Just in case you haven't seen it, this rotary 914 page has some good info.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

My front end looked crappy, anc I've tried different radiator configs,, and believe it or not I got by using a diesel rabit radiator. Air flow is the most important thing with a rotary install. The VW fan and shroud was up to the task of keeping my car cool for extended idles in traffic. And a descent flow of air past your radiator at speeds is a must.

Which mazda is your engine from?

-Rob
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Feb 9 2006, 11:04 PM
Post #25

Sir Post-a-lot

if you're askin me, its from some 92 RX-7 or something. I looked and saw that it had a AFM FI system....

I saw the car today...and besides from some oil leak thing, it runs good...this is a very far LONGSHOT for me, but i was just wonderin if it was done b4 and it has.

25MPG isnt bad for the pep that you'd expect from that engine.

gets better and better.

b
+Quote Post
messix
post Feb 9 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #26

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

it seems that for the power and rpm available the fuel economy is not bad. a 911 six would be in that range?
+Quote Post
reverie
post Feb 9 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 427

As far as I know, there's no such thing as a '92 RX-7..

The FC model ended in '91, and the FD model started in '93.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Feb 9 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #28

Sir Post-a-lot

i dunno what year it was.....

it was yellow with a rattle-can primer over it...

front end bumper gone..

had a small radiator though...

b
+Quote Post
Rotary'14
post Feb 9 2006, 11:31 PM
Post #29

You should look into building a megasquirt. The rotary guys on that forum seem to be adding more and more features for the rotary engine. I have one I plan on using,,,, The stock system is overly complicated with emissions related stuff. MS can even interface with the stock ignition system so be sure to get the coils and crank angle sensor.

When I got 25 mpg, I never revved higher than 3500. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

I mounted my radiator up front, slanted against the gas tank bulk head. The heated air exited out of the bottom of the car past the brake m/c. I channeled air from a scoop in the front below the bumper into the front compartment and controlled how the air exited. I made sure to channel it through the radiator. I had the upper 1/2 of my front trunk usable. My spare was in the back.

I've had a recent revelation and am wondering if we can cram a small (mini cooper) sized radiator where the /6 has it's oil tank. I would vent it through to the engine bay and have some fans to help. Then I would mirror it on the side the battery is on. (It would be best to relocate the battery for this mod.) Then I would connect the two radiators with a connecting pipe. I wonder how much air flow will this get? Is the areas that I am thinking of making swiss cheese structural? any comments on a crazy idea?

My header pipes were custom and routed well clear of the clutch cable and pulley. I never melted my pulley, even on long drives up to San Francisco with occasional blasts up to 120 and constant cruising at 80.

Engine mount is pretty easy, exhaust is medium in difficulty to get right (in regards to exhaust tuning)

-Rob

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 10 2006, 12:08 AM
Post #30

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

don't worry rog. we'll always wait for you to catch up.

k
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Feb 10 2006, 01:24 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 538

Welcome aboard! I think that getting rid of heat in the exhaust and cooling system will be your biggest challenge. Rotary engines don't handle being overheated so the cooling system should be of primary concern. I went with the Renegade Hybrids set up on my 3 rotor project because it's proven and I don't mind having a radiator in the front of the car. Now if you want some serious N/A power modify that little 13b like this one:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom Perso
post Feb 10 2006, 05:41 AM
Post #32

Crazy from the Cold...

Member No.: 1,003

Awww... Look at the cute little motor... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Dead Air
post Feb 10 2006, 08:31 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 2,042

914/2 ? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Rotary'14
post Feb 10 2006, 09:20 AM
Post #34

914/2 ?  

or,, I like 914/2 1.3 or something like that (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
reverie
post Feb 10 2006, 01:57 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 427

Big ports? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

_

Kev.. yeah, you guys are way cool. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Feb 10 2006, 02:57 PM
Post #36

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

I owned two rotary cars: an '85 RX-7 GSL-SE (13B) and an '87 RX-7 Turbo. Both got about 18mpg in daily driving, with as much as 24mpg on gentle highway drives. Flogged on a good road, mileage would often drop to as little as 10mpg. This would probably improve a bit on a 914, since you're dragging around about 300-400lbs less weight.

The OEM control systems are fiendishly complex, with a zillion vacuum hoses to leak, and solenoid valves to break. You'd want to do a custom injection setup. Weber manifolds are available, and you could bolt on a TWM throttle body. I know there are manifolds for DCOEs and big Holley carbs, but I'd use an IDF manifold if one was available, with an IDF-style throttle body. The DCOE manifolds wrap around the top of the engine, and, like the OEM injection stuff, make it difficult to impossible to reach the OEM oil injection stuff, which often leaks. Unless you want to pre-mix all your gas, you really want to keep the oil injection.

The earlier engines used a distributor, or a fake distributor that triggered multiple coils. These would be easier to adapt to DIY EFI than the later systems.

They generate enormous heat and sky-high exhaust temps, so a rear-mounted radiator would be unlikely to work. You'd need as much radiator area as a V8.

They also sound NASTY (not in a good way) w/o very good muffling, and require LOTS of muffler volume to kill the noise w/o also killing the power. However, because of all of that, they do turbocharge very well. The early factory Turbos had lots of lag, but the later variable inlet turbos were pretty good. The turbo kills the worst of the noise, so you can use a normal muffler after them.

For their size and weight, they can be made to produce big power. Their torque characteristics would be a pretty good match for a 901, too.
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Feb 10 2006, 03:35 PM
Post #37

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

Nice idea...

Some gotcha's though. 1) Rotary's run hot. I doubt an engine bay radiator would work very well. 2) They need good intake and exhaust to make power. A stock 13b -can- put out from than 220hp (seen the dyno sheets to prove it), but it needs the good stuff.

I like rotaries though. Only three moving parts, no valves, no springs. Nice and simple. Will keep making power as long as you can get air in, and exhaust out.

As for a teener beating up on an RX-7? Well... The RX7 is hauling around a good deal more weight (like 500 lbs or more), has poor low end torque, and is stuck with a live rear axel. Now... the cool thing is you can make power all the way up to 10,000 rpm. So long as your transmission can take it...

Be neat to see though. Put a blower on it and now we're talkin'! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

-Josh2
+Quote Post
Gary#
post Feb 10 2006, 03:50 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 4,078

Here's a website that offers a kit. Have fun.
http://home.earthlink.net/~reddawgbytes/re...reats/id19.html
+Quote Post
morph
post Feb 10 2006, 07:44 PM
Post #39

quality parts builder

Member No.: 1,389
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Guy in yakima wash has one. Cooling was his biggest enemy.sounded cool,and on the open hwy my car couldnt hang with my 1.7.In town he couldnt even keep up.
just my .02 i have drove the car,and had him drive me in it.wasnt really impressed.but to each his own.
James
+Quote Post
TimT
post Feb 10 2006, 07:56 PM
Post #40

retired

Member No.: 313

You'd want to do a custom injection setup

I mentioned 210hp @ 10500 rpm before,

We dont know didly about rotaries.. Someone brought there car to the shop, and asked us to get his car running (he bought Haltech from someone else and could not get his own car running) we have no idea what, if any mods were made to the engine...

from the dyno plots we have it looks like at 16000rpm we could have 300 hp (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

tuning a rotaryy has been a learning experience.. we now have a car with a worked and ported rotary he asked us to intall a HUGE turbo.. should be interesting
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 06:43 PM