Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Injector Cleaning Service, Cruzinperformance
yarin
post Feb 15 2006, 12:19 PM
Post #1

'14-X'in FOOL

Group: Members
Member No.: 693
Region Association: North East States

I followed a suggestion from this board and sent 4 2.0 injectors out to these guys. Excellent turn around time. He emailed me with the results and return tracking number today. I never considered installing these without a cleaning, but it sure is a great idea that i had them cleaned. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) Could have caused major problems!

http://www.cruzinperformance.com/fuelinj.html

$12 per injector. Two thumbs up!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Feb 15 2006, 12:47 PM
Post #2

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

This resolves a question I've wondered about for some time. Brad Ander's site shows the 2.0 injectors as rated for 275-ish cc/min, but he doesn't state at what PRESSURE. D-Jet injectors operate at 2-bar (29psi), where most other injectors operate at 3-bar (43psi). The chart shows 42lbs/hour, which is 440cc/min, at 3bar.

So, Ander's number is at a 2-bar rated pressure, meaning 2.0 injectors really ARE gigantic. Injectors half that size run at 3 bar would be more than adequate for even a nice 2270 (150hp). 2.0 injectors at 3 bar would handle a 300hp 4-cylinder. Even V8 guys don't use injectors that big unless they're looking to break 600hp. Even at 2 bar, 275cc/min is enough for over 200hp.

Perhaps I should send out a set of 1.7 injectors I have on the shelf not only to be cleaned, but just to find out how big they really are. They'll do flow testing only for only $5/injector. If they're 85% of the size, then they're about 375cc/min at 3bar, or 230cc/min at 2 bar, which is still enough for over 150hp.

+Quote Post
dinomium
post Feb 15 2006, 01:10 PM
Post #3

Git on a chair son, all the good stuff is goin over yer head!

Member No.: 74
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE (yarin @ Feb 15 2006, 11:19 AM)
but it sure is a great idea that i had them cleaned. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) Could have caused major problems!

Let me tell, you THEY DID cause major problems!! That is why you now have them!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
yarin
post Feb 15 2006, 01:44 PM
Post #4

'14-X'in FOOL

QUOTE (dinomium @ Feb 15 2006, 11:10 AM)
QUOTE (yarin @ Feb 15 2006, 11:19 AM)
but it sure is a great idea that i had them cleaned. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)  Could have caused major problems!

Let me tell, you THEY DID cause major problems!! That is why you now have them!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

Yea i bet they did. Especially when one injector doesn't flow ANY fuel (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif)

I just confirmed, they test injectors at 3 BAR.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Feb 15 2006, 02:01 PM
Post #5

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

The machine that does the job cost about $8000 a couple years back...don't know what it is now.

$12 is really inexpensive....most want $25 - $30+ dollars per.
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Feb 15 2006, 02:18 PM
Post #6

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I had 4 2.0 injectors tested here locally. Cost was $15.00 per injector, 2 of them turned out to be leakers the other 2 tested just fine. I thought 15 per was a good price, 12 bucks per. tough to beat. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 15 2006, 02:24 PM
Post #7

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Just because an injector will flow at a higher rate with higher pressure, doesn't mean that the service pressure should be maintained at that pressure. We do not know what service pressure the injectors were designed to sustain, or their pressure safety factor. The integrity of the whole fuel supply system relies on not only the fuel hose, but on the fuel hose clamps...

All together, the components of this system must be capable of sustaining the in-service pressures witha nice safety factor, and there are several issues:

Ever seen a torque value for the fuel hose clamps? Ever torque them to a known value? I retighten my hose clamps at every oil change (3000 miles) and they regularly loosen up in that period of time. It can be a pretty scary situation really. I wish this was a better more reliable connection, I think its a major weakness with the early FI systems.

While running the injectors at a higher pressure can be done, the safety margin decreases and the likelihood for leaks greatly increases.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Feb 15 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I used these guys also. They found 1 leaker. They also replaced the screen in the fuel line and the plastic cover over the needle (pintle?). My injectors returned looking like new. He didn't have the bent hoses. I am using longer straight hoses without problems.

Mark
+Quote Post
yarin
post Feb 15 2006, 03:07 PM
Post #9

'14-X'in FOOL

QUOTE (Bartlett 914 @ Feb 15 2006, 12:52 PM)
I used these guys also. They found 1 leaker. They also replaced the screen in the fuel line and the plastic cover over the needle (pintle?). My injectors returned looking like new. He didn't have the bent hoses. I am using longer straight hoses without problems.

Mark

Bartlett 914 - What diameter hose are you using?

bowlsby - What is the torque spec for the fuel clamps?
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Feb 15 2006, 03:50 PM
Post #10

Not another one!

I wasn't advocating running D-Jet injectors at 3 bar. These numbers merely confirm what's been said for some time: D-Jet injectors are way oversized for their application, even if run at 2 bar. 1.7 injectors at 2 bar are (most likely) about 2x bigger than they need to be for a 1.7, and would feed a hot 2270 just fine. Running them at 3 bar, if you decide to take that risk, would be enough for any Type IV, no matter how hot.
+Quote Post
Marv's3.6six
post Feb 15 2006, 04:01 PM
Post #11

Actual member 7"

Member No.: 3,165
Region Association: Southern California

I sent my 3.6 engine injectors to RC engineering who cleans, calibrates and match flow balances original-equipment injectors. Money well spent! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Feb 15 2006, 04:11 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I am using the forbidden 5/16 non fuel injection hose. My rational was the hose is good for 50 LBS. We use 29 to 30 in the 914. 5/16 is damn near 8mm. I read here that we are supposed to use 7.5mm hose. Anyway my car hasn't burned up yet. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
yarin
post Feb 15 2006, 06:34 PM
Post #13

'14-X'in FOOL

QUOTE (Bartlett 914 @ Feb 15 2006, 02:11 PM)

I am using the forbidden 5/16 non fuel injection hose. My rational was the hose is good for 50 LBS. We use 29 to 30 in the 914. 5/16 is damn near 8mm. I read here that we are supposed to use 7.5mm hose. Anyway my car hasn't burned up yet. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

You used 5/16" on the pressure side (to the injectors, fuel rail, etc) ?

I used RC Engineering once before. Great service, but double the price. Their basic injector service doesn't "match flow balance". All of these guys just flow test, clean, flow test.
+Quote Post
TimT
post Feb 15 2006, 06:52 PM
Post #14

retired

Member No.: 313

$12 is a good deal if they have flow matched/cleaned/blueprinted the injectors

Ive used Marren In the past, but they are 2x as expensive as cruzin...

Ill give cruzin a try for the injectors for our GT3RS
+Quote Post
Rotary'14
post Feb 15 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 3,977

These guys will replace parts and include return shipping for $3 more per injector if you service a set of 4.

http://www.injectorservices.com/injectship.htm

-Rob
+Quote Post
Jeff Nelson
post Feb 16 2006, 11:36 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 4,487

Brad Ander's site lists the flow of 2.0 injectors as 380 cc/min not 275-ish as James stated. No matter, his point is well taken. The 2.0L injectors, Bosch 280 150 019 or 280 150 038, are way big for the application. As I am in the process of building and soon to be installing Megasquirt on my 2.0L liter motor I am concerned about the excessive flow of the 2.0L injectors. I'd gladly trade some for those from a 1.7 as these would still be large for the horsepower that I anticipate but more appropriate than the larger ones. It sure makes me wonder what the Porsche or Bosch engineers were thinking when they selected the injectors. From what I've gathered the 1.8 injectors (Ljet) are much smaller and in line with the requirements for that application.

I found a formula in "Four Stroke Performance Tuning" by A. Graham Bell for estimating the injector flow at a pressure different from used for the rated flow.

revised static flow=SFxsqrt(RP/OP)

where SF=injector static flow at standard pressure,
RP=revised pressure and OP=standard pressure

The formula applies for pressures below 4 bar.

As given in the book it assumes that one wants to determine the flow due to an increase in pressure though I see no reason why it shouldn't work for a decrease in pressure. For the 440 cc/min at 3 bar quoted in this thread that would give 359 cc/min at 2 bar which is about 5.5% below the 380 cc/min per Anders. So the prediction is pretty good.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Feb 16 2006, 11:56 AM
Post #17

Not another one!

It's been stated in the past, and it sounds right, that in the early days, Bosch only had a couple of injector sizes they applied to everything under the sun. Remember that D-Jet was the very first use of EFI, at least in production engines, so they were still learning how to make all of this work. The engines it was used on ranged from the VW 1.6 fours (400cc/cylinder) up to the Mercedes 4.5 eights (560cc/cylinder), with most engines falling close those two extremes in terms of cylinder size. With all-analog ECUs, they could also run injectors right down to their physical limits on minimum pulsewidth w/o worrying about aliasing errrors caused by digital clocks.

Given the measurement techonologies of the day, getting really accurate mixtures was also going to be much more challenging than it is now, and it's possible they were simply erring on the side of richness. The fact that the early D-Jet cars actually work show these injectors aren't unusably big, just lots bigger than necessary to do the job on 80-90hp air-cooled fours, and certainly big enough to cause some headaches for a digital ECU with a low resolution.

Anyone have any flow specs for the 1.8 L-Jet injectors? I'd always assumed these were really just 1.7 D-Jet injectors, but never looked for part numbers.
+Quote Post
Jeff Nelson
post Feb 16 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #18

The 1.8 injectors flow 185 cc/min according to this site: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Injectors.html

I don't know at what pressure this is specified. Ljet does run higher pressure than Djet. I considered these injectors for my application as they take the nicer Ljet connector but the flow seemed marginal.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Feb 16 2006, 03:41 PM
Post #19

Not another one!

That IS marginal. According to SDS' tech section, a common rule of thumb is 0.55 * lbs/hr * (cylinder count) * 0.85 will give the max crank HP injectors can support. cc/min / 10.5 = lbs/hr, so 185cc/min = 17.6lbs/hr, which gives 108hp at 85% duty cycle with a 4 cylinder. Should work on most stock 1.7s and 1.8s, but would be tight for a 2.0.

I don't know of any other cars that use hose-barb L-Jet injectors that would use larger injectors. The Alfa V6 uses these, but with 6 cylinders, these injectors would support a bit over 160hp, which is right where that engine peaks. The late FIAT Spiders also used these injectors, but they're 85-90hp engines, tops. I'll bet that's a really common injector on European cars from the 70s and 80s.

+Quote Post
Jeff Nelson
post Feb 16 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #20

Here is some more 1.8 injector info.
Bosch part numbers:
280-150-105
280-150-112
280-150-114
280-150-116
These are supposed to be interchangable according to the table at http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Injectors.html

The flow is 187cc/min at 43psi for the -105 according to http://www.telusplanet.net/%7Echichm/tech/...h/injectors.pdf

These might actually be a reasonable choice for mild 2.0L <110HP or so. There sure is a big difference between these and the 1.7 and 2.0 injectors. The pressure range would be compatable with the rated range (36-45psi) of the MSD manifold pressure referenced FPR although I'm told that those will work fine at 30psi.

By the way, there is a fair bit of good info at www.ratwell.com that applies to the 914 although the site is focused on baywindow vans. Lots of good links.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 09:55 AM