Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche vs VW, VW parts for Porsches?
gonflyn
post Feb 16 2006, 12:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,589

Hi, I’m new to the forum and the 914 club. I have owned 914’s in the past when parts where cheap and plentiful….And for the same reason I bought my first one, I just purchased a 1970 914 as a “project” So now begins the search for parts. I’m trying to find a good source for both the common mechanical parts and body parts in California.
As I’m trying to remember, I thought I was able to use VW clutch parts for one of my 914’s? Is there a reference list or parts list somewhere that can cross reference VW and 914 parts? Or I guess even better a good place to get the right parts and a reasonable price?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Feb 16 2006, 06:43 AM
Post #2

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Man it depends. Pelican Parts has good parts, Aircooled.net, lots of guys here in the classified section, and engine parts from aircooled technology. There are a bunch of others so I'm not leaving them out for any reason.
oh and let me be the 1st to
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 16 2006, 06:55 AM
Post #3

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I don't knwo if there is a good cross reference chart made up. A lot of VW parts will work on a 914, but degrade performance (like VW Bus heads).

The above are good places to look. Also, Restoration Design for body parts. And while a _lot_ of people on this board don't like them (and I myself have not ordered from them) Auto Atlanta has a lot of 914 parts, and are supposed to be trying to effect some changes in there store to win over (or back) some customers.

Good luck, and (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welcome.png)

Zach
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Feb 16 2006, 07:44 AM
Post #4

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

somebody hosts a cross-referencing chart of sorts, but i dont have the link.

b
+Quote Post
messix
post Feb 16 2006, 09:56 AM
Post #5

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

early '80s vanagon air filter works on L-jet
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 18 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #6

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (gonflyn @ Feb 15 2006, 10:01 PM)
Hi, I’m new to the forum and the 914 club. I have owned 914’s in the past when parts where cheap and plentiful….And for the same reason I bought my first one, I just purchased a 1970 914 as a “project” So now begins the search for parts. I’m trying to find a good source for both the common mechanical parts and body parts in California.
As I’m trying to remember, I thought I was able to use VW clutch parts for one of my 914’s? Is there a reference list or parts list somewhere that can cross reference VW and 914 parts? Or I guess even better a good place to get the right parts and a reasonable price?

You can use a VW disc, but not the release bearing or pressure plate. Just be sure it's the 215mm from a 1975 Bus (025 141 031H). Probably cost you almost as much as the 901 disc, if you get a good one. Other parts that are sourced as VW will also carry a VW part number in Pcar parts catalogs, and the prices should be the same. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 18 2006, 01:58 PM
Post #7

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 18 2006, 12:58 PM)
Other parts that are sourced as VW will also carry a VW part number in Pcar parts catalogs, and the prices should be the same. The Cap'n

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

Any parts that start with 111, 113, 131, 141, 151, etc. is a VW part.

Although on evil-bay I've seen guys asking a mint for things like inner door pulls....you can buy them new (VW part) cheaper.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Feb 18 2006, 02:18 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

It seems that switches and other small bits and pieces seem to be similar or the same as early 70s VW stuff, but you have to watch carefully. All these parts are getting older and harder to come by, so just keep checking the sites.

I've also had good luck with Brad Mayeur (914 Ltd.) in Peoria, Illinois. He sometimes has little bits and pieces that you need, and is very honest with the prices and condition of the parts.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 18 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #9

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Feb 18 2006, 11:58 AM)
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 18 2006, 12:58 PM)
Other parts that are sourced as VW will also carry a VW part number in Pcar parts catalogs, and the prices should be the same. The Cap'n

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

Any parts that start with 111, 113, 131, 141, 151, etc. is a VW part.

Although on evil-bay I've seen guys asking a mint for things like inner door pulls....you can buy them new (VW part) cheaper.

And 021, 022. Watch out for 037, they used that again in the late 1990s for engine parts for the A3/A4 platforms. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
gonflyn
post Feb 28 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,589

Thanks for all the good information!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Mar 1 2006, 09:19 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 4,634

A lot of the electrical stuff is the same, relays, switches and what not, for example the turn signal relay from a '68-70 VW (pretty much all of them) is the same for 914's and 911's up to either '84 or '89, or the cover for the fuse box from a '75-'79 beetle/SB fits, but is numbered 1-12 instead of having pictures on it, my 2 liter Fuchs have a VW part #, the window cranks, lots of interior stuff, the FI stuff for the L jet shares a lot of parts.

The 914 was sort of a parts bin car, as near as I can figure out, except for the body.
+Quote Post
davep
post Mar 1 2006, 11:58 AM
Post #12

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

There is virtually nothing VW that can fit on the car that does not already have a VW part #. It is a waste of time trying to figure if something will fit. Just get the part specified, and if it is VW it is VW already and at VW prices.
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Mar 4 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 4,634

Voila! I went to Bugformance, got a hella horn, which is smaller and lighter, and lighter is better. Now I can honk at people. The car is wired for horns on both sides, which I will get and install when I hook up the fog lights, which I might just upgrade to some nice halogen driving lights.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 02:15 AM