Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche vs VW
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gonflyn
Hi, I’m new to the forum and the 914 club. I have owned 914’s in the past when parts where cheap and plentiful….And for the same reason I bought my first one, I just purchased a 1970 914 as a “project” So now begins the search for parts. I’m trying to find a good source for both the common mechanical parts and body parts in California.
As I’m trying to remember, I thought I was able to use VW clutch parts for one of my 914’s? Is there a reference list or parts list somewhere that can cross reference VW and 914 parts? Or I guess even better a good place to get the right parts and a reasonable price?
Joe Ricard
Man it depends. Pelican Parts has good parts, Aircooled.net, lots of guys here in the classified section, and engine parts from aircooled technology. There are a bunch of others so I'm not leaving them out for any reason.
oh and let me be the 1st to
welcome.png
VaccaRabite
I don't knwo if there is a good cross reference chart made up. A lot of VW parts will work on a 914, but degrade performance (like VW Bus heads).

The above are good places to look. Also, Restoration Design for body parts. And while a _lot_ of people on this board don't like them (and I myself have not ordered from them) Auto Atlanta has a lot of 914 parts, and are supposed to be trying to effect some changes in there store to win over (or back) some customers.

Good luck, and welcome.png

Zach
bd1308
somebody hosts a cross-referencing chart of sorts, but i dont have the link.

b
messix
early '80s vanagon air filter works on L-jet
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (gonflyn @ Feb 15 2006, 10:01 PM)
Hi, I’m new to the forum and the 914 club. I have owned 914’s in the past when parts where cheap and plentiful….And for the same reason I bought my first one, I just purchased a 1970 914 as a “project” So now begins the search for parts. I’m trying to find a good source for both the common mechanical parts and body parts in California.
As I’m trying to remember, I thought I was able to use VW clutch parts for one of my 914’s? Is there a reference list or parts list somewhere that can cross reference VW and 914 parts? Or I guess even better a good place to get the right parts and a reasonable price?

You can use a VW disc, but not the release bearing or pressure plate. Just be sure it's the 215mm from a 1975 Bus (025 141 031H). Probably cost you almost as much as the 901 disc, if you get a good one. Other parts that are sourced as VW will also carry a VW part number in Pcar parts catalogs, and the prices should be the same. The Cap'n
Mark Henry
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 18 2006, 12:58 PM)
Other parts that are sourced as VW will also carry a VW part number in Pcar parts catalogs, and the prices should be the same. The Cap'n

agree.gif

Any parts that start with 111, 113, 131, 141, 151, etc. is a VW part.

Although on evil-bay I've seen guys asking a mint for things like inner door pulls....you can buy them new (VW part) cheaper.
GeorgeRud
It seems that switches and other small bits and pieces seem to be similar or the same as early 70s VW stuff, but you have to watch carefully. All these parts are getting older and harder to come by, so just keep checking the sites.

I've also had good luck with Brad Mayeur (914 Ltd.) in Peoria, Illinois. He sometimes has little bits and pieces that you need, and is very honest with the prices and condition of the parts.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Feb 18 2006, 11:58 AM)
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 18 2006, 12:58 PM)
Other parts that are sourced as VW will also carry a VW part number in Pcar parts catalogs, and the prices should be the same. The Cap'n

agree.gif

Any parts that start with 111, 113, 131, 141, 151, etc. is a VW part.

Although on evil-bay I've seen guys asking a mint for things like inner door pulls....you can buy them new (VW part) cheaper.

And 021, 022. Watch out for 037, they used that again in the late 1990s for engine parts for the A3/A4 platforms. The Cap'n
gonflyn
Thanks for all the good information!! rolleyes.gif
Tobra
A lot of the electrical stuff is the same, relays, switches and what not, for example the turn signal relay from a '68-70 VW (pretty much all of them) is the same for 914's and 911's up to either '84 or '89, or the cover for the fuse box from a '75-'79 beetle/SB fits, but is numbered 1-12 instead of having pictures on it, my 2 liter Fuchs have a VW part #, the window cranks, lots of interior stuff, the FI stuff for the L jet shares a lot of parts.

The 914 was sort of a parts bin car, as near as I can figure out, except for the body.
davep
There is virtually nothing VW that can fit on the car that does not already have a VW part #. It is a waste of time trying to figure if something will fit. Just get the part specified, and if it is VW it is VW already and at VW prices.
Tobra
Voila! I went to Bugformance, got a hella horn, which is smaller and lighter, and lighter is better. Now I can honk at people. The car is wired for horns on both sides, which I will get and install when I hook up the fog lights, which I might just upgrade to some nice halogen driving lights.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.