Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WWOT: Chevy Turbo 350 Source in San Diego, ..Uncle Jesse just kicked the bucket....
Brian Mifsud
post Feb 16 2006, 05:04 PM
Post #1

Mechanical Engineer

Group: Members
Member No.: 384
Region Association: None

Sorry for being so far off topic, but I'm new to San Diego and don't know anybody here yet:

My parts hauler and all around beater work truck "Uncle Jesse" ('85 2WD Chevy Pickup) just coughed up 2nd gear in its Turbo 350 Automatic.

It will drive in 1st, but when shifting into 2nd, it sounds like a rock crusher, with corresponding horrible feeling vibrations throught the drivetrain. Happened while on freeway and fuel tank #1 went on empty. Kicked the switch for tank #2 but not before engine quit. Restarted but then transmission was very very unhappy..

Anybody have a recommendation on a reputable Transmission Rebuilder in San Diego? Truck isn't worth beans except last owner installed a NEW (not rebuilt) smallblock with new Edelbrock etc.. Smogs very very clean...

What's a completely rebuilt Turbo 350 going for today where it was done "right"?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
eeyore
post Feb 16 2006, 05:20 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,533

What neck of the greater SD Co. are you in?

If somebody recommends Valley Transmission in El Cajon, go to the one on Washington, not 2nd. (or is it the other way around?)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 16 2006, 05:29 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

if you want to pay for shipping might be able to get a fully rebuilt and tested unit for you pretty darn cheap.....

+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post Feb 16 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #4

Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 384

I'm in North County, but can travel clean down to TJ to pickup a good one if it's worth it.

Mike, I'll be in San Jose the next 2 weeks starting Monday, and will have the empty trunk of my Mustang I can throw it into. That should help my handling really well by putting some weight on those rear wheels!!

Forgot that I have that Northern California option since I'm doing the big San Jose to San Diego commute.....

I'm just glad the transmission didn't give out on the grapevine.. just found out AAA didn't include our "unlimited mileage tow" part of the policy when they transferred it to Southern California. I was getting cocky thinking I had a charged cell phone and AAA... what could hurt me!!!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

BTW.. to all you 30+ year old car drivers... check your policy.. card is supposed to have a "+" on it, otherwise, they only pay for the first 7 miles....
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 12:43 AM