Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> turbo tie rod install, hints / time to do work?
sk8kat1
post Feb 18 2006, 09:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,937

how long do you guys think it wiould take to install them

any hints

and I am pretty sure iI will need an alignment after , right ? is it worth it to buy the alignment shims I am seeing on ebay?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
rhodyguy
post Feb 18 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #2

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

what is the complete scope of work you intend to do? what do you have in the way of tools? compressor, air tools,...? you can prob get all the shims you want in the classifieds here.

k
+Quote Post
sk8kat1
post Feb 18 2006, 10:05 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,937

well I looked at the front end all the bushings seem to be good .. ball joint seem good ( but have a set of new already , came with the car ) -- so I guess unless recomended other wise just the tierods and possible brake caliper swap ( see otehr thread )

I have an air compressor and air tools I can get what I don't have
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 18 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

You will need an alignment immediately afterwards. You'll have to measure the difference between the tires at the front of the tire and at the rear of the tire and try to make them as equal as possible. Once it drives straight take it directly to an alignment shop. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) Oh, you might want a tool to remove the tie-rod ends. They tend to be very difficult to remove.
+Quote Post
Dave Bell
post Feb 18 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,398
Region Association: None

Special tools

As I recall... a big hammer and "pickle fork" to separate the tie rod end... don't be gentle!

Need a 1 1/4" open end wrench to turn the end that mates to the steering rack... only a standard wrench is too thick..... you need the end of the wrench to me no more than 0.25 inches thick or it won't fit in the gap they give you... You can make such a specialty wrench starting with a standard wrench and a lot of work on a bench grinder or you can search around for something thin... The grinding takes a lot of time...... but is fun at night for the kids to watch the sparks.... I remember that part well.

- Dave

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 04:39 PM