Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: turbo tie rod install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
how long do you guys think it wiould take to install them

any hints

and I am pretty sure iI will need an alignment after , right ? is it worth it to buy the alignment shims I am seeing on ebay?

rhodyguy
what is the complete scope of work you intend to do? what do you have in the way of tools? compressor, air tools,...? you can prob get all the shims you want in the classifieds here.

k
sk8kat1
well I looked at the front end all the bushings seem to be good .. ball joint seem good ( but have a set of new already , came with the car ) -- so I guess unless recomended other wise just the tierods and possible brake caliper swap ( see otehr thread )

I have an air compressor and air tools I can get what I don't have
McMark
You will need an alignment immediately afterwards. You'll have to measure the difference between the tires at the front of the tire and at the rear of the tire and try to make them as equal as possible. Once it drives straight take it directly to an alignment shop. wink.gif Oh, you might want a tool to remove the tie-rod ends. They tend to be very difficult to remove.
Dave Bell
Special tools

As I recall... a big hammer and "pickle fork" to separate the tie rod end... don't be gentle!

Need a 1 1/4" open end wrench to turn the end that mates to the steering rack... only a standard wrench is too thick..... you need the end of the wrench to me no more than 0.25 inches thick or it won't fit in the gap they give you... You can make such a specialty wrench starting with a standard wrench and a lot of work on a bench grinder or you can search around for something thin... The grinding takes a lot of time...... but is fun at night for the kids to watch the sparks.... I remember that part well.

- Dave

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.