Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT Ipod in 914
boxstr
post Feb 19 2006, 12:19 PM
Post #1

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Group: Members
Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Anyone using IPOD in there 914? I want to be able to switch from the 914 to 964, both have cassette decks. Any cheap downloads?
CCLINICAMP
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Feb 19 2006, 12:22 PM
Post #2

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

I am planning to do the same thing with a computer of sorts that plays MP3s....

b
+Quote Post
clarkcou
post Feb 19 2006, 12:26 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,257
Region Association: Southwest Region

Belkin and others make a FM transmitter that hooks to IPOD, I use one that plugs into cig lighter so it recharges while in use. Tune dash unit & transmitter to same unused radio station. Acceptable performance, but not CD quality.
+Quote Post
Eddie Williams
post Feb 19 2006, 12:29 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 55
Region Association: None

I'm not sure what your asking, but if both cars have cassette decks, and you want to swithch between the two, than the obvious choice is either an FM modulator or a cassette adapter. I just installed a USA Spec adapter in my Tundra, it plays/controls through the factory CD changer interface. Not as elegant as I would have liked, but better than the iTrip I had before.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Feb 19 2006, 12:37 PM
Post #5

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have an Ipod ready Alpine head unit in mine.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 19 2006, 01:22 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

You can hook an iPod directly to an amp and avoid a head unit altogether. I had that for awhile.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Feb 19 2006, 01:26 PM
Post #7

Ii was looking at all of the different plugins, and the easiest one looked like the Belkin that you plug into the the cassette and plays throught the head unit.
CCLINHEAD
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 19 2006, 01:28 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Definitely the easiest.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Feb 19 2006, 01:33 PM
Post #9

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

I believe Fry's was selling a nice setup to connect to any head unit... had a nice little LCD to see the ipod screen, and then a remote to control the ipod(placed in the glove compartment or other hidden locale
+Quote Post
newto914s
post Feb 19 2006, 02:14 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,663

I've got a jvc Head that has a "1/8"(mini plug) aux jack of the face. I can plug in anything that has a headphone jack. With the popularity of Ipod's the cost of those tape adapters has jumped. They always came free with CD players, I picked one up a couple years back at a 5 and dime for $4. Now at Radiohack they cost $25 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/finger.gif) Basterds
Goodluck
Samson
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 19 2006, 09:40 PM
Post #11

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

In my Subaru I have a Alpine HU with an Aux In rca jack in the back of it (I think it was designed to plug in satellite radio) I wired it so that the cable snakes down and comes out under the ashtray and plugs into the belkin charger. Its a really clean looking setup, and gives _WAY_ better playback then the FM transmitter or cassett adapter.

For the 914, I was considering not even having a head unit, and just putting a Mini-jack somewhere to plug the iPod into the amp. Control the volume and such though the iPod itself. However, I do like to listen to NPR, so I'll probably end up putting an HU in the car anyhow.

Zach
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Feb 19 2006, 09:48 PM
Post #12

Zach Great idea, I have an amplifier , factory installed, And I may be able to plug directly into that.
Thank you I will check it out.
CCLINPLUGMEIN
+Quote Post
D1A3
post Feb 19 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #13

Gruppe Neun Vierzehn Südosten

Member No.: 2,152
Region Association: South East States

My Blaupunkt cassette has an AUX input on the back. I bought the AUX input cable online, it plugs into the back of the head unit and then I fished it down behind the center console. Now, ehen I want to listen to MP3's, I just plug the cable into and plug it into the headphone jack. You can also try a cassette adapter that , but sound quality will likely be a lot less.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Feb 20 2006, 12:07 AM
Post #14

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE (D1A3 @ Feb 20 2006, 05:51 AM)
My Blaupunkt cassette has an AUX input on the back. I bought the AUX input cable online, it plugs into the back of the head unit and then I fished it down behind the center console. Now, ehen I want to listen to MP3's, I just plug the cable into and plug it into the headphone jack. You can also try a cassette adapter that , but sound quality will likely be a lot less.

I have an aux-in port on the back of my radio. I use it for my MP3 player and my Sirius satellite radio unit.

It's the easiest way to go because I can tuck the wires back under the dash in the 914. I do have a cassette adapter in the Jeep. That works pretty good too.

-Rusty (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Feb 20 2006, 12:22 PM
Post #15

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

A tape deck adapter is easiest, but the sound quality reduction is noticeable (umm, when you are waiting at a red light idling). The AUX input is the best by far - worth the extra money if you value the sound quality. If you just want access to your music in both cars, the tape works.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
fiid
post Feb 20 2006, 12:24 PM
Post #16

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530

In the 914, I have a blaupunkt MP3000. It has a pair of RCAs on the back which I use as an iPod input.

I think it's worth pointing out that while the cassette adaptors are crappy, their sound quality is actually pretty reasonable.
I would rank the options like this:

Full Integration with Dock connector & Controls - 10/10
RCA or headphone jack input to stereo - 9/10
Cassette Adaptor - 8/10
FM Transmitter - 4/10

There is a 9.5 option if you have an input to your stereo - Belkin sells a cigarette lighter doo-hickey that has a dock connector for charging and a fixed (but adjustable) level output on it that you can hook to the stereo. This is nice for multiple reasons.

1. If you're fumbling around with the iPod whilst looking at the road, you don't adjust the output volume by mistake (the headphone output varies, but the output from the belkin jobby doesn't).

2. The iPod gets charged while your driving - good for long trips.

3. The iPod pauses when you turn the car off.

4. The iPod cable is a dock connector which is latched into the iPod meaning that when you go around a corner and the iPod gets lost somewhere on the passenger side - the cable is actually anchored into it, so when you try and fish it back you don't end up with just a cable and a loose iPod.

I just put the belkin thingo in our subaru (the one with a chassis made by subaru), which required cutting PCB traces to get an additional input (grr).

+Quote Post
fiid
post Feb 20 2006, 12:30 PM
Post #17

The issues I have with cassette adaptors are basically that the head unit sometimes gets confused and flips sides a couple of times, and also they can sometimes trick the headunit into thinking that they are a metal or CrO2 tape, which adjusts all the frequency responses.

With the FM transmitter I had serious reception problems (this was in the Subaru), and there was always a high pitched hissing sound. It can also be hard to find a frequency that's free enough if you live in an area that's populated. Some FM transmitters can be wired into the antenna line, which is supposed to be better, but in a 914 where it's easy to replace the stereo head unit - I'd just get something with an input.

Another feature of the MP3000, btw, is that it can play cdrws with mp3s on - which will get you about 11 hours of music on a single disk. This is a pretty nice setup - it can handle more music than a 6 disc changer, and it's easier to swap it all out for something else.

Anyway - just my 6 cents. Hope this helps.

+Quote Post
Eddie Williams
post Feb 20 2006, 02:13 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 55

What exactly is this Belkin thingo called? part no#? I have a Blau with line in in my 914, I like the idea of charging and line out through a dock cable.
+Quote Post
fiid
post Feb 20 2006, 04:13 PM
Post #19

It's one of these: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=149006

I'm pretty sure you can also get it at the Apple store or at Best Buy (IIRC we got ours from Best Buy)... although you should check before driving over there (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 21 2006, 07:49 AM
Post #20

En Garde!

Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE (fiid @ Feb 20 2006, 01:24 PM)

There is a 9.5 option if you have an input to your stereo - Belkin sells a cigarette lighter doo-hickey that has a dock connector for charging and a fixed (but adjustable) level output on it that you can hook to the stereo. This is nice for multiple reasons.

1. If you're fumbling around with the iPod whilst looking at the road, you don't adjust the output volume by mistake (the headphone output varies, but the output from the belkin jobby doesn't).

2. The iPod gets charged while your driving - good for long trips.

3. The iPod pauses when you turn the car off.

4. The iPod cable is a dock connector which is latched into the iPod meaning that when you go around a corner and the iPod gets lost somewhere on the passenger side - the cable is actually anchored into it, so when you try and fish it back you don't end up with just a cable and a loose iPod.

Yeah, thats the belkin charger that I was talking about a few posts above. It really is the only way to go.

Between the Alpine HU and the Ipod/Belkin combo (even with stock speakers in my subaru) I can clearly tell the difference in MP3 ripping quality. You can't do that with the FM modulator or the cassette adapter.

You can -with very little work- make a clean install for your iPod that looks like it was prety much always meant to be there.

Zach
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 11:00 PM