Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Ipod in 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxstr
Anyone using IPOD in there 914? I want to be able to switch from the 914 to 964, both have cassette decks. Any cheap downloads?
CCLINICAMP
bd1308
I am planning to do the same thing with a computer of sorts that plays MP3s....

b
clarkcou
Belkin and others make a FM transmitter that hooks to IPOD, I use one that plugs into cig lighter so it recharges while in use. Tune dash unit & transmitter to same unused radio station. Acceptable performance, but not CD quality.
Eddie Williams
I'm not sure what your asking, but if both cars have cassette decks, and you want to swithch between the two, than the obvious choice is either an FM modulator or a cassette adapter. I just installed a USA Spec adapter in my Tundra, it plays/controls through the factory CD changer interface. Not as elegant as I would have liked, but better than the iTrip I had before.
iamchappy
I have an Ipod ready Alpine head unit in mine.
McMark
You can hook an iPod directly to an amp and avoid a head unit altogether. I had that for awhile.
boxstr
Ii was looking at all of the different plugins, and the easiest one looked like the Belkin that you plug into the the cassette and plays throught the head unit.
CCLINHEAD
McMark
Definitely the easiest.
tat2dphreak
I believe Fry's was selling a nice setup to connect to any head unit... had a nice little LCD to see the ipod screen, and then a remote to control the ipod(placed in the glove compartment or other hidden locale
newto914s
I've got a jvc Head that has a "1/8"(mini plug) aux jack of the face. I can plug in anything that has a headphone jack. With the popularity of Ipod's the cost of those tape adapters has jumped. They always came free with CD players, I picked one up a couple years back at a 5 and dime for $4. Now at Radiohack they cost $25 finger.gif Basterds
Goodluck
Samson
VaccaRabite
In my Subaru I have a Alpine HU with an Aux In rca jack in the back of it (I think it was designed to plug in satellite radio) I wired it so that the cable snakes down and comes out under the ashtray and plugs into the belkin charger. Its a really clean looking setup, and gives _WAY_ better playback then the FM transmitter or cassett adapter.

For the 914, I was considering not even having a head unit, and just putting a Mini-jack somewhere to plug the iPod into the amp. Control the volume and such though the iPod itself. However, I do like to listen to NPR, so I'll probably end up putting an HU in the car anyhow.

Zach
boxstr
Zach Great idea, I have an amplifier , factory installed, And I may be able to plug directly into that.
Thank you I will check it out.
CCLINPLUGMEIN
D1A3
My Blaupunkt cassette has an AUX input on the back. I bought the AUX input cable online, it plugs into the back of the head unit and then I fished it down behind the center console. Now, ehen I want to listen to MP3's, I just plug the cable into and plug it into the headphone jack. You can also try a cassette adapter that , but sound quality will likely be a lot less.
Rusty
QUOTE (D1A3 @ Feb 20 2006, 05:51 AM)
My Blaupunkt cassette has an AUX input on the back. I bought the AUX input cable online, it plugs into the back of the head unit and then I fished it down behind the center console. Now, ehen I want to listen to MP3's, I just plug the cable into and plug it into the headphone jack. You can also try a cassette adapter that , but sound quality will likely be a lot less.

I have an aux-in port on the back of my radio. I use it for my MP3 player and my Sirius satellite radio unit.

It's the easiest way to go because I can tuck the wires back under the dash in the 914. I do have a cassette adapter in the Jeep. That works pretty good too.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Chris Pincetich
agree.gif

A tape deck adapter is easiest, but the sound quality reduction is noticeable (umm, when you are waiting at a red light idling). The AUX input is the best by far - worth the extra money if you value the sound quality. If you just want access to your music in both cars, the tape works.

aktion035.gif
fiid
In the 914, I have a blaupunkt MP3000. It has a pair of RCAs on the back which I use as an iPod input.

I think it's worth pointing out that while the cassette adaptors are crappy, their sound quality is actually pretty reasonable.
I would rank the options like this:

Full Integration with Dock connector & Controls - 10/10
RCA or headphone jack input to stereo - 9/10
Cassette Adaptor - 8/10
FM Transmitter - 4/10

There is a 9.5 option if you have an input to your stereo - Belkin sells a cigarette lighter doo-hickey that has a dock connector for charging and a fixed (but adjustable) level output on it that you can hook to the stereo. This is nice for multiple reasons.

1. If you're fumbling around with the iPod whilst looking at the road, you don't adjust the output volume by mistake (the headphone output varies, but the output from the belkin jobby doesn't).

2. The iPod gets charged while your driving - good for long trips.

3. The iPod pauses when you turn the car off.

4. The iPod cable is a dock connector which is latched into the iPod meaning that when you go around a corner and the iPod gets lost somewhere on the passenger side - the cable is actually anchored into it, so when you try and fish it back you don't end up with just a cable and a loose iPod.

I just put the belkin thingo in our subaru (the one with a chassis made by subaru), which required cutting PCB traces to get an additional input (grr).

fiid
The issues I have with cassette adaptors are basically that the head unit sometimes gets confused and flips sides a couple of times, and also they can sometimes trick the headunit into thinking that they are a metal or CrO2 tape, which adjusts all the frequency responses.

With the FM transmitter I had serious reception problems (this was in the Subaru), and there was always a high pitched hissing sound. It can also be hard to find a frequency that's free enough if you live in an area that's populated. Some FM transmitters can be wired into the antenna line, which is supposed to be better, but in a 914 where it's easy to replace the stereo head unit - I'd just get something with an input.

Another feature of the MP3000, btw, is that it can play cdrws with mp3s on - which will get you about 11 hours of music on a single disk. This is a pretty nice setup - it can handle more music than a 6 disc changer, and it's easier to swap it all out for something else.

Anyway - just my 6 cents. Hope this helps.

Eddie Williams
What exactly is this Belkin thingo called? part no#? I have a Blau with line in in my 914, I like the idea of charging and line out through a dock cable.
fiid
It's one of these: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=149006

I'm pretty sure you can also get it at the Apple store or at Best Buy (IIRC we got ours from Best Buy)... although you should check before driving over there smile.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE (fiid @ Feb 20 2006, 01:24 PM)

There is a 9.5 option if you have an input to your stereo - Belkin sells a cigarette lighter doo-hickey that has a dock connector for charging and a fixed (but adjustable) level output on it that you can hook to the stereo. This is nice for multiple reasons.

1. If you're fumbling around with the iPod whilst looking at the road, you don't adjust the output volume by mistake (the headphone output varies, but the output from the belkin jobby doesn't).

2. The iPod gets charged while your driving - good for long trips.

3. The iPod pauses when you turn the car off.

4. The iPod cable is a dock connector which is latched into the iPod meaning that when you go around a corner and the iPod gets lost somewhere on the passenger side - the cable is actually anchored into it, so when you try and fish it back you don't end up with just a cable and a loose iPod.

Yeah, thats the belkin charger that I was talking about a few posts above. It really is the only way to go.

Between the Alpine HU and the Ipod/Belkin combo (even with stock speakers in my subaru) I can clearly tell the difference in MP3 ripping quality. You can't do that with the FM modulator or the cassette adapter.

You can -with very little work- make a clean install for your iPod that looks like it was prety much always meant to be there.

Zach
MoveQik
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 19 2006, 11:22 AM)
You can hook an iPod directly to an amp and avoid a head unit altogether. I had that for awhile.

Mark, how did you do this? I just went to a stereo shop and the 16 year old "expert" told me that you can't do it. I would love to ditch the head unit and go stealth with my iPod. ph34r.gif
dlo914
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Feb 21 2006, 12:56 PM)
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 19 2006, 11:22 AM)
You can hook an iPod directly to an amp and avoid a head unit altogether.  I had that for awhile.

Mark, how did you do this? I just went to a stereo shop and the 16 year old "expert" told me that you can't do it. I would love to ditch the head unit and go stealth with my iPod. ph34r.gif

agree.gif i made my own radio delete panel and would be a lot cheaper to purchase a new amp n two speakers than to purchase a $200 Headunit+the stuff mentioned.
iamchappy
There is a product called a Para Sound, I used one back in the 80's to hook up a portable CD player. I still have my old unit but if you do a search on goggle I see they have a newer model that will allow you to use your Ipod by directly
plugging it into the Para Sound and run your Para Sound to the amp.
dlo914
QUOTE (iamchappy @ Feb 21 2006, 02:05 PM)
There is a product called a Para Sound, I used one back in the 80's to hook up a portable CD player. I still have my old unit but if you do a search on goggle I see they have a newer model that will allow you to use your Ipod by directly
plugging it into the Para Sound and run your Para Sound to the amp.

first things first...#1 Get the 14' running first before i do any accessory additions wink.gif
WRX914
This is what I did for a guy with a newer 911 cabrio. I replaced the factory ashtry with this custom built unit. It plays right through the factory stereo.

Any quality auto sound shop can fab this as well.
WRX914
now with the ipod removed.

iamchappy
Here is a picture of the unit
iamchappy
back
iamchappy
For me the accessory additions are what you do when your 914's not running. biggrin.gif
aylanco
This thread has got my attention. On the back of my Pioneer HU there are two inputs next to the antenna input, one red and one white and they look just like regular stereo inputs. Can these be used to directly connect my Ipod? If so, what is a good way to do it?

Please forgive my ignorance on this subject! rolleyes.gif
Rand
If so, what is a good way to do it?

Visit Radioshack. Get a cable that has a male 1/8" stereo plug on one end (or whatever matches the headphone output of your player) and two male RCA connectors on the other end (or whatever matches the inputs on your amp - most are RCA like in iamchappy's photo).

For a more permanent install, run from the amp to a 1/8" stereo jack in the dash face... I think that was mentioned earlier. Then a 1/8" male to male stereo cord between player and dash. Clean.
kdfoust
QUOTE (aylanco @ Feb 21 2006, 02:53 PM)
This thread has got my attention. On the back of my Pioneer HU there are two inputs next to the antenna input, one red and one white and they look just like regular stereo inputs. Can these be used to directly connect my Ipod? If so, what is a good way to do it?

Check out crutchfield.com for a bunch of options to browse.

I did my iPod install by going with a Alpine head unit (which also has XM) and the Alpine iPod adapter. That allows my pod to be totally stealth inside the center console of the car (not 914 yet).

There are a lot of options out there now...

LAter,
Kevin
dlo914
something similar to this right? 2 RCA cables to 1 headphone plug:
user posted image
A friend of mine did the same thing w/ his Sony Headunit, he plugged in the two rca plugs and then ran the wire hidden underneath his center console to his center cushion and then hid the IPOD underneath the center cushion.
seanery
Daniel, that's an unbalanced 1/4" (or 1/8" maybe) connector to banana plug...not what you're looking for.

What you guys are looking for is called a stereo mini to stereo RCA...or balanced mini to stereo rca
user posted image
dlo914
QUOTE (seanery @ Feb 21 2006, 03:50 PM)
Daniel, that's an unbalanced 1/4" (or 1/8" maybe) connector to banana plug...not what you're looking for.

What you guys are looking for is called a stereo mini to stereo RCA...or balanced mini to stereo rca

i knew that picture i posted didnt look right...hehe, but yea i know what you're describing: it's similar to the red/white plugs that go on the front of some tv's from those two they merge into a headphone like plug. Output from ipod to headunit n out to the speakers.
Rand
FWIW, most computer geeks will have a ton of these around as they used to come with all the Soundblaster cards....

user posted image
VaccaRabite
QUOTE (Rand @ Feb 21 2006, 08:33 PM)
FWIW, most computer geeks will have a ton of these around as they used to come with all the Soundblaster cards....

user posted image

And they are about $7 at radio shack or best buy for one with a run of about 2 feet. Unless you want to mount the iPod somewhere weird, you won't need any more then
that.

Zach
aylanco
QUOTE (kdfoust @ Feb 21 2006, 03:30 PM)
QUOTE (aylanco @ Feb 21 2006, 02:53 PM)

Check out crutchfield.com for a bunch of options to browse.

I did my iPod install by going with a Alpine head unit (which also has XM) and the Alpine iPod adapter. That allows my pod to be totally stealth inside the center console of the car (not 914 yet).

There are a lot of options out there now...

LAter,
Kevin

Thanks for the good advice. I actually ran out to Radio shack this evening ang bought the cables. The first application is for my 911 (which is at home while the 914 is tucked in far away for winter).

I installed the cables and heres what I found:

There is no AUX setting on my HU. When I turn on the Ipod, the music from the Ipod just plays along with the radio or CD, whichever the HU is set to do. If I "Pause" the CD player, then I get just the music from the Ipod. No problem except that it only comes out of the back speakers and none of my functions on the HU work at all--fade, balance, treble, equalizer, etc, etc.

What gives? unsure.gif
seanery
get the model # of your head unit, so we can find the owner's manual online. There are a couple different things that could be happening here.
aylanco
QUOTE (seanery @ Feb 21 2006, 07:12 PM)
get the model # of your head unit, so we can find the owner's manual online. There are a couple different things that could be happening here.

Thanks Sean,

Pioneer KEH P1010

beer.gif

seanery
Is this it?
user posted image

If so, then on your unit, the RCA connectors on the back are Rear Outputs. That's a fairly common thing. Those outputs are meant to go to a separate amp for the rear speakers.
aylanco
QUOTE (seanery @ Feb 21 2006, 08:16 PM)
Is this it?
user posted image

If so, then on your unit, the RCA connectors on the back are Rear Outputs. That's a fairly common thing. Those outputs are meant to go to a separate amp for the rear speakers.

Yup, That's it.

Any way to make the fronts work?

Thanks!

Sebastian
seanery
yup, buy a new head unit! laugh.gif
VaccaRabite
Yeah, it looks like it is time for a HU upgrade.

The unit needs to have an Aux In of some sort for this to work. I know that Alpine does on most of thier units (just cause that is waht I have) but I am not sure about other makes. When I was shopping for a new head unit 2 or so years back, the AUX In was my primary requirement.

Zach
aylanco
QUOTE (seanery @ Feb 22 2006, 06:56 AM)
yup, buy a new head unit! laugh.gif

What about this: I buy a new HU for the 911 and put the old one from the 911 into the 914. Any way to make it work in the two speakers in the 914 and still have radio/CD capabilities?
seanery
yup, just hook the 2 speakers up to the rear's wires instead of the fronts
aylanco
QUOTE (seanery @ Feb 22 2006, 03:08 PM)
yup, just hook the 2 speakers up to the rear's wires instead of the fronts

Thanks Seanery, will do!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.