Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what to do with my 914 2.0, It's too slow - what next?
Philly
post Feb 20 2006, 08:30 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,606

Hello all - I bought the 73 914 2 liter out of Baltimore that somebody referenced on this site under cars for sale - anyway , I've been a porsche nut for years - mostly 911s - This is my first 914 - Well folks if I knew how fun they were relative to handling I would have bought one years ago - my 914 has twin 44mm Webers on a fresh stock top end rebuild - jetting is probably too rich - probably over carbed in general - but beyond that it's just not fast enough to enjoy fully - A local PCA guy stopped by this weekend and let me drive his 2.0 bored to 2.7 w/ Megasquirt and some other stuff - wow - really fun to drive - I want mine to be more like that car - my one friend is pushing for a Chevy V8 conversion - my PCA race buddy wants to put a 2.2 911s motor in - I could buy this guys 2.0 race motor listed on 914 club - I'm uncertain - so I'd really some opinions from more experienced 914 guys - my 914 is very solid, fender flairs, side shift tranny - strong enough and worthy enough to spend a little $$ to make go faster - thanks in advance for your help - Phil
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dead Air
post Feb 20 2006, 08:38 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,042

Do you want the wholw wide world knowing your Phone number?

My .02, put in a six, others will say Subarize it. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
type47
post Feb 20 2006, 08:57 AM
Post #3

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

check out the recent posts here by jake raby about his recent development motor putting out gobs of HP (180-200?????). that's what you want.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Feb 20 2006, 09:06 AM
Post #4

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

how much $$ do you want to spend? 6k? 8k? 10k?

there is a direct relationship to how much $$ you spend and how much hp you get
+Quote Post
Pugbug
post Feb 20 2006, 09:08 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,604

Welcome to confusion and indecision....There are many opinions here regarding repowering a 914....

Check here...I like the subaru conversion. Be sure to watch the videos of the Suby powered 914.....

By the way (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Feb 20 2006, 09:27 AM
Post #6

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

+Quote Post
URY914
post Feb 20 2006, 09:31 AM
Post #7

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Easy question with 100 answers.

The problem with 914's is you can put just about any engine in them. Give us a little info on what you plan to do with the car, (daily driver, weekend fun car, etc) how much you what to spend, and I think the biggest issue, how long do you want to wait before you are driving it with more HP. V8 and Suby's are great but if you started today it would take you 6 months to get it on the road. A big -4 is more of a bolt in job. A -6 is more work and money than a -4 but less work than a V8.

And you could always go electric (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Welcome to the Club. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)

Paul
+Quote Post
LowGT
post Feb 20 2006, 09:36 AM
Post #8

1.8 and Proud!

Member No.: 4,904

I would get the car tuned properly first, and then evaluate it again. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
ken914
post Feb 20 2006, 09:38 AM
Post #9

Whole lot 'O 914/6

Member No.: 3,122

It might be cheapest and fastest to just find what you want and buy it. Conversions are expensive and often you can buy what you want for less than the cost of the parts to convert.

That said I searched 4 years for my /6. But I wanted original, no rust, no damage, steel factory flares, 3.2, etc...

The other option is to do the jake raby engine. Seems expensive for a /4 and you probably wouldn't get your money back if you sold it, but that is why this is a hobby.

I still say, there is nothing like a dry sump, air cooled, flat six coming on cam to make your hair stand on end!

Just my 2 cents.

+Quote Post
Philly
post Feb 20 2006, 09:38 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,606

Thanks for all the initial replies - as for use - some autoX some track days and lots of aggressive trips to the store to pick up milk - any links to Subaru swap - Phil
+Quote Post
914-8
post Feb 20 2006, 10:02 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 5,461

I've owned lots of Porsches (911's and 914 2.0's) since 1982, they have all been stock and I loved them all.

I also currently have a very low mileage Carrera that is 100% stock and original.

Some have accused me of being an over-the-top purist!

But I absolutely love my V8 914 - steel GT flares, Velios 915 trans, 911 suspension and brakes and torque-honkin' aluminum head 5.7 V8.

It's just such a blast to drive. Reminds me a lot of my former Ducati. Effortless acceleration at any RPM. Cool V8 rumble.

Just plain fun!
+Quote Post
nein14
post Feb 20 2006, 10:30 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 262

Why not go back to injection and a Turbo? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
WRX914
post Feb 20 2006, 10:47 AM
Post #13

2.5 WRX STI hybrid powered beast

Member No.: 2,771

QUOTE (Philly @ Feb 20 2006, 07:38 AM)
Thanks for all the initial replies - as for use - some autoX some track days and lots of aggressive trips to the store to pick up milk - any links to Subaru swap - Phil

goto

www.turbo914.com
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Feb 20 2006, 10:54 AM
Post #14

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

The other option is to do the jake raby engine. Seems expensive for a /4 and you probably wouldn't get your money back if you sold it, but that is why this is a hobby.

My engine makes car worth more money- It can't double the price, but it surely helps with value, and helps the car to hold it's value as well.. I have had instances where customers could not finish 914 projects and had to sell the engine they purchased from me, many of these have sold for more than the original customer paid me for them! (one sold for 3K more)

Those who come to me for an engine are not the type that are spurratic or sell their car when it's completed- these guys want something that makes power and will last so they can drive it for a long time to come.

Those other guys hack their car up or buy a cut rate engine.

A lot more guys have been buying my engine kits and having their local shop assemble it for them, or look to one of my authorized assemblers like Mark D for the job to be completed. This provides an experience that can only be topped by the purchase of my hallmark engine directly from me in turnkey form, for about 4,000.00 less money.
Also my 914 /TIV Turbo kit is well under testing. I am shooting to have a full product by the end of the year! 100% ready to bolt in...
+Quote Post
anthony
post Feb 20 2006, 11:01 AM
Post #15

2270 club

Member No.: 218

Phil,

With six conversions don't forget that the conversion parts alone will set you back about $4K + the cost of the engine.

I wonder if you have compression tested your engine? A 2L motor with a fresh top end should be pretty fun to drive. Of course not as fun as one of Jake's monster engines. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Feb 20 2006, 01:44 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 447

Start cutting weight out of the car, it will be quicker with what you already have for an engine. fiberlglass bumpers, trimming sound deadening etc.
+Quote Post
davep
post Feb 20 2006, 01:48 PM
Post #17

914 Historian

Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

If you want to track or A-X the car, then be sure of what rules you have to run under. For certain club memberships such as PCA, the engine has to be a Porsche engine ( any size type 4, 911 or 928 qualify). So you need to determine what restrictions, if any, apply. Resale value may also influence things. The further you get from stock, the more you have to be sure of your decisions.
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Feb 20 2006, 02:00 PM
Post #18

Currently teenerless :-(

Member No.: 1,814

I have a 2.0L with dual Weber 44s. The PO didn't have it tuned very well, and after it was properly jetted, it really moved. Check that stuff out first. When it was switched over to carbs, did they also swap out the stock cam for one that is better suited for carbs? If not, that also contributes to your problem.

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 20 2006, 02:19 PM
Post #19

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (davep @ Feb 20 2006, 11:48 AM)
If you want to track or A-X the car, then be sure of what rules you have to run under. For certain club memberships such as PCA, the engine has to be a Porsche engine ( any size type 4, 911 or 928 qualify). So you need to determine what restrictions, if any, apply.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) if you want to run with your local PCA you should read their rules first, around here, anything *non* porsche can only run in the "Fun" class, no points, no trophies, no competition ...

i'd say either a big /4 or a /6, but i'm biased,
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif) Andy

PS: and welcome to the club! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

PPS: you really should remove your phone number from your first post!
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Feb 20 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #20

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

You didnt mention whether you have proper cam for the carbs or if you have better flowing headers. These two items will make your current carbed engine come alive. Reducing weight is a lot cheaper than going with an expensive conversion or a very expensive Raby option.

If you go big bore rebuild or conversion route I would reccomend a 6 conversion. Its the most cost effective and will result in a car that is more reliable for competiton and will have a better resale value.

If you dont care about PCA I'd reccomend looking at the Subaru conversion option.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 03:35 AM