Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what to do with my 914 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Philly
Hello all - I bought the 73 914 2 liter out of Baltimore that somebody referenced on this site under cars for sale - anyway , I've been a porsche nut for years - mostly 911s - This is my first 914 - Well folks if I knew how fun they were relative to handling I would have bought one years ago - my 914 has twin 44mm Webers on a fresh stock top end rebuild - jetting is probably too rich - probably over carbed in general - but beyond that it's just not fast enough to enjoy fully - A local PCA guy stopped by this weekend and let me drive his 2.0 bored to 2.7 w/ Megasquirt and some other stuff - wow - really fun to drive - I want mine to be more like that car - my one friend is pushing for a Chevy V8 conversion - my PCA race buddy wants to put a 2.2 911s motor in - I could buy this guys 2.0 race motor listed on 914 club - I'm uncertain - so I'd really some opinions from more experienced 914 guys - my 914 is very solid, fender flairs, side shift tranny - strong enough and worthy enough to spend a little $$ to make go faster - thanks in advance for your help - Phil
Dead Air
Do you want the wholw wide world knowing your Phone number?

My .02, put in a six, others will say Subarize it. confused24.gif

welcome.png
type47
check out the recent posts here by jake raby about his recent development motor putting out gobs of HP (180-200?????). that's what you want.
tat2dphreak
how much $$ do you want to spend? 6k? 8k? 10k?

there is a direct relationship to how much $$ you spend and how much hp you get
Pugbug
Welcome to confusion and indecision....There are many opinions here regarding repowering a 914....

Check here...I like the subaru conversion. Be sure to watch the videos of the Suby powered 914.....

By the way welcome.png
Lou W
welcome.png
URY914
Easy question with 100 answers.

The problem with 914's is you can put just about any engine in them. Give us a little info on what you plan to do with the car, (daily driver, weekend fun car, etc) how much you what to spend, and I think the biggest issue, how long do you want to wait before you are driving it with more HP. V8 and Suby's are great but if you started today it would take you 6 months to get it on the road. A big -4 is more of a bolt in job. A -6 is more work and money than a -4 but less work than a V8.

And you could always go electric laugh.gif

Welcome to the Club. beer.gif

Paul
LowGT
I would get the car tuned properly first, and then evaluate it again. wink.gif
ken914
It might be cheapest and fastest to just find what you want and buy it. Conversions are expensive and often you can buy what you want for less than the cost of the parts to convert.

That said I searched 4 years for my /6. But I wanted original, no rust, no damage, steel factory flares, 3.2, etc...

The other option is to do the jake raby engine. Seems expensive for a /4 and you probably wouldn't get your money back if you sold it, but that is why this is a hobby.

I still say, there is nothing like a dry sump, air cooled, flat six coming on cam to make your hair stand on end!

Just my 2 cents.

Philly
Thanks for all the initial replies - as for use - some autoX some track days and lots of aggressive trips to the store to pick up milk - any links to Subaru swap - Phil
914-8
I've owned lots of Porsches (911's and 914 2.0's) since 1982, they have all been stock and I loved them all.

I also currently have a very low mileage Carrera that is 100% stock and original.

Some have accused me of being an over-the-top purist!

But I absolutely love my V8 914 - steel GT flares, Velios 915 trans, 911 suspension and brakes and torque-honkin' aluminum head 5.7 V8.

It's just such a blast to drive. Reminds me a lot of my former Ducati. Effortless acceleration at any RPM. Cool V8 rumble.

Just plain fun!
nein14
Why not go back to injection and a Turbo? biggrin.gif
WRX914
QUOTE (Philly @ Feb 20 2006, 07:38 AM)
Thanks for all the initial replies - as for use - some autoX some track days and lots of aggressive trips to the store to pick up milk - any links to Subaru swap - Phil

goto

www.turbo914.com
Jake Raby
The other option is to do the jake raby engine. Seems expensive for a /4 and you probably wouldn't get your money back if you sold it, but that is why this is a hobby.

My engine makes car worth more money- It can't double the price, but it surely helps with value, and helps the car to hold it's value as well.. I have had instances where customers could not finish 914 projects and had to sell the engine they purchased from me, many of these have sold for more than the original customer paid me for them! (one sold for 3K more)

Those who come to me for an engine are not the type that are spurratic or sell their car when it's completed- these guys want something that makes power and will last so they can drive it for a long time to come.

Those other guys hack their car up or buy a cut rate engine.

A lot more guys have been buying my engine kits and having their local shop assemble it for them, or look to one of my authorized assemblers like Mark D for the job to be completed. This provides an experience that can only be topped by the purchase of my hallmark engine directly from me in turnkey form, for about 4,000.00 less money.
Also my 914 /TIV Turbo kit is well under testing. I am shooting to have a full product by the end of the year! 100% ready to bolt in...
anthony
Phil,

With six conversions don't forget that the conversion parts alone will set you back about $4K + the cost of the engine.

I wonder if you have compression tested your engine? A 2L motor with a fresh top end should be pretty fun to drive. Of course not as fun as one of Jake's monster engines. biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
Start cutting weight out of the car, it will be quicker with what you already have for an engine. fiberlglass bumpers, trimming sound deadening etc.
davep
If you want to track or A-X the car, then be sure of what rules you have to run under. For certain club memberships such as PCA, the engine has to be a Porsche engine ( any size type 4, 911 or 928 qualify). So you need to determine what restrictions, if any, apply. Resale value may also influence things. The further you get from stock, the more you have to be sure of your decisions.
mudfoot76
welcome.png

I have a 2.0L with dual Weber 44s. The PO didn't have it tuned very well, and after it was properly jetted, it really moved. Check that stuff out first. When it was switched over to carbs, did they also swap out the stock cam for one that is better suited for carbs? If not, that also contributes to your problem.

SirAndy
QUOTE (davep @ Feb 20 2006, 11:48 AM)
If you want to track or A-X the car, then be sure of what rules you have to run under. For certain club memberships such as PCA, the engine has to be a Porsche engine ( any size type 4, 911 or 928 qualify). So you need to determine what restrictions, if any, apply.

agree.gif if you want to run with your local PCA you should read their rules first, around here, anything *non* porsche can only run in the "Fun" class, no points, no trophies, no competition ...

i'd say either a big /4 or a /6, but i'm biased,
cool_shades.gif Andy

PS: and welcome to the club! smilie_pokal.gif

PPS: you really should remove your phone number from your first post!
grantsfo
You didnt mention whether you have proper cam for the carbs or if you have better flowing headers. These two items will make your current carbed engine come alive. Reducing weight is a lot cheaper than going with an expensive conversion or a very expensive Raby option.

If you go big bore rebuild or conversion route I would reccomend a 6 conversion. Its the most cost effective and will result in a car that is more reliable for competiton and will have a better resale value.

If you dont care about PCA I'd reccomend looking at the Subaru conversion option.
McMark
Think of a car you've ridden in/driven/owned that you like the power and compute the power to weight ratio.

For example, I had a blast in my 79 928. It weighs roughly 3500 lbs and it had 220 hp. So that's about 16 lbs/hp. For a similary powerful 914 you would need (2200 lbs / 16 lbs/hp) about 137 hp.

With gearing ratios set aside, a four cylinder 2056 or 2270 would easily be as fast as a 79 928. It's not exact, but gives a good approximation of how much hp you're looking for, IMHO.
crash914
Hi Phil,

welcome.png

I have the car that phil is referring to....2.7 big 4..

I do think that phil's red 914 could use a good tune, I like the idea of testing the compression. Most likely it has an original cam...

I do think that Jake's 2270 would be the way to go.

I do know that Phil wants to go fast...he was talking about comparing my 914 to a lotus, mach 1, supercharged 928 etc. I am guessing he is looking for around 10 lbs/HP with lots of torque.

Anywhy Phil, welcome and let me be the first to say: thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

herb
jetboy
QUOTE (anthony @ Feb 20 2006, 09:01 AM)
Phil,

With six conversions don't forget that the conversion parts alone will set you back about $4K + the cost of the engine.

Are you saying that to put a /6 in and running will cost 4k in parts alone? Or do you mean after doing the full conversion with flares, 5 lug, brakes, suspension, front mount oil cooler? It would seem that just for the engine mount, oil tank, and even an oil cooler should be less than 4k and will still be road worthy.
grantsfo
QUOTE (jetboy @ Feb 20 2006, 03:31 PM)
Phil,

Are you saying that to put a /6 in and running will cost 4k in parts alone? Or do you mean after doing the full conversion with flares, 5 lug, brakes, suspension, front mount oil cooler? It would seem that just for the engine mount, oil tank, and even an oil cooler should be less than 4k and will still be road worthy.

That sounds about right. My complete running 2.4 911 E engine and 914-6 oil tank were about $2300. Throw in the Patrick engine mount $350, MSDS headers $450, muffler $300, Ignition $130, fuel pump/regulator $125. ...Oh wait that was $4000 + engine biggrin.gif

Dont forget that most people who are going from stock 2.0 to anything over a 2056 T4 are going to be upgrading to new fuel delivery system, headers, oil cooler, etc too. I'm quickly learning that a six conversion really doesnt need to cost as much as 914 club urban legend would indicate if your're willing to shop around for good deals.
brant
QUOTE (jetboy @ Feb 20 2006, 04:31 PM)
Phil,

Jet boy....

you can do it pretty affordably and trekkor's is a great example of that.

but most people end up spending a lot more than trekkor did.
there are a lot of little parts, fittings for the oil lines, throttle linkages, etc.

so 4K + motor (another 3-6K) is probably the overal average without body, suspension, tires, or other things.
anthony
Trekkor did a lot of fabrication to do his install cheaply. It comes down to either time or money. For example, some guys have the time and ability to spend hours of metal work to make their own engine tin. Others just buy the fiberglass or the factory steel reproduction engine tin.

Rich Johnson sells lots of these conversion parts. Check out his ad in the vendor section.

My complete running 2.4 911 E engine and 914-6 oil tank were about $2300.

Grant, to me that sounds like an exceptional deal that most couldn't count on reproducing. Used 914-6 oil tanks alone are going for $500-600 (assuming you could even find one). New oil tanks are going for $900 these days.

Grant, your parts list is also missing all the small bits. How are you going to deal with the rest of the install?

r_towle
tune it and drive it.
You are probably out of tune quite a bit.

then, once you are at that point...buy a parts 2.0 liter motor....and build yourself a 2270..

Buy the kit, get the heads done right...
You will get 180hp and be smiling.

10lbs/hp is a very expensive number...especially in street trim...
Street trim is 2200 lbs...
You can get close and still smile alot.

Rich

carnutvic
I think a 400 hp sbc would do the trick. rocking nana.gif

the best thing about horsepower is its never enough.

now torque on the other hand is a different story.

TORQUE RULES!!![SIZE=14]
carnutvic
Even Dr. porshe had a 914-8!!!!!! pray.gif
Jaiden
Not to be a downer but have you taken a look at the cars other running gear aka brakes, steering, suspension.....

If you want to go fast you should be very confident in being able to slow down first. at least that's my plan. Get the car safe.... Set the chassis up right.... really Learn to drive the car.... then add the power without having to worry about killing yourself when your unchecked brakes go out smilie_pokal.gif

meares
QUOTE (nein14 @ Feb 20 2006, 12:30 PM)
Why not go back to injection and a Turbo? biggrin.gif

ahhhh yes!! but, we can't all john innaurato!!! laugh.gif hope you're doing well john!!! BTW i'm jealous of your '14 wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.