Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> fuel pump compatability? and relocation, can I use Djet fuel pump for Ljet system
pnewman
post Feb 20 2006, 03:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,606
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I am in the midst of doing a fuel pump relocation and wanted to know if I could use the smaller cylindrical fuel pumps to replace my 3 hose L jetronic pump. I have a 1974 1.8 liter.

Thanks in advance for any input.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 20 2006, 03:58 PM
Post #2

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thats what Porsche did for the 75-76 cars when they stuck it upfront.

Use the inline pump and the inline filter with the larger feed hole. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 20 2006, 04:08 PM
Post #3

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (pnewman @ Feb 20 2006, 01:39 PM)
I am in the midst of doing a fuel pump relocation and wanted to know if I could use the smaller cylindrical fuel pumps to replace my 3 hose L jetronic pump. I have a 1974 1.8 liter.

The single-in/single-out VW pump will work fine, but it's the same size as the 3-line one. Porsche went to that pump for the 75-76 cars. If you're thinking of one of the smaller aftermarket pumps, probably not. You need to match up the pressure/flow with what you have. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
pnewman
post Feb 20 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 20 2006, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (pnewman @ Feb 20 2006, 01:39 PM)
I am in the midst of doing a fuel pump relocation and wanted to know if I could use the smaller cylindrical fuel pumps to replace my 3 hose L jetronic pump.  I have a 1974 1.8 liter.  

The single-in/single-out VW pump will work fine, but it's the same size as the 3-line one. Porsche went to that pump for the 75-76 cars. If you're thinking of one of the smaller aftermarket pumps, probably not. You need to match up the pressure/flow with what you have. The Cap'n

What is the GPM and PSI rating of my oem pump?
What are the GPM and PSI requirements of my 1974 L Jetronic system for my 1.8 liter?

Is it that easy to find out GPM and PSI ratings of after market pumps? or other year 914's?

thanks
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Feb 21 2006, 06:17 AM
Post #5

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

on my 914, I have a fuel pump from a 97 Ford Ranger, being fed from a line with a 914 stock fuel filter, then going way back and then going to a 300ZX fuel filter...

whole setup cost 100 or so dollars...been working solid for a dialy three months.

As dependable as a.....a.....honduh

b
+Quote Post
pnewman
post Feb 21 2006, 09:18 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 21 2006, 04:17 AM)
on my 914, I have a fuel pump from a 97 Ford Ranger, being fed from a line with a 914 stock fuel filter, then going way back and then going to a 300ZX fuel filter...

whole setup cost 100 or so dollars...been working solid for a dialy three months.

As dependable as a.....a.....honduh

b

What fuel delivery system are you running?

Carbs?
L jet?
D jet?
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Feb 21 2006, 10:35 AM
Post #7

Sir Post-a-lot

I'm using L-jet, but I went ahead and mounted everything up front (except for fuel filter #2) so I could get rid of the vapor lock issues....or at least that was the excuse I was using...shoudl work *EXACTLY* the same with D-jet, and if you purchased a regulator that would cut the pressure down to 3-4 psi from the FI pump, you could run carbs.

b
+Quote Post
pnewman
post Feb 22 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 21 2006, 08:35 AM)
I'm using L-jet, but I went ahead and mounted everything up front (except for fuel filter #2) so I could get rid of the vapor lock issues....or at least that was the excuse I was using...shoudl work *EXACTLY* the same with D-jet, and if you purchased a regulator that would cut the pressure down to 3-4 psi from the FI pump, you could run carbs.

b

So you think that the D jet fuel pump would work fine mounted up front w/ the L jet EFI system?

I like that pump better. It seems as though it would be easier to service it than the 3 hose oem L jet pump.

thanks
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Feb 23 2006, 06:12 AM
Post #9

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584
Region Association: None

The fuel pump from a fuel injected VW Type 3 should work. D-jet system w/three ports on the pump.

Nothing magical or extra difficult with a three port pump (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
pnewman
post Feb 23 2006, 07:40 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Air_Cooled_Nut @ Feb 23 2006, 04:12 AM)
The fuel pump from a fuel injected VW Type 3 should work. D-jet system w/three ports on the pump.

Nothing magical or extra difficult with a three port pump (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

I guess that you hit it on the head! about the 3 port "magic"
Cylinder pumps seem to be the way now.

what's up w/ 3 ports!

anyone know the psi and gpm of the old 3 port pumps?
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 23 2006, 08:05 AM
Post #11

Cap'n Krusty

b

Dropping the pressure from an FI pump down to 3-4 PSI is a well known way to prep for a fire. Seen several carbecues done that way . The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 23 2006, 08:07 AM
Post #12

Cap'n Krusty

QUOTE (pnewman @ Feb 22 2006, 08:25 PM)

b

So you think that the D jet fuel pump would work fine mounted up front w/ the L jet EFI system?

I like that pump better. It seems as though it would be easier to service it than the 3 hose oem L jet pump.

thanks

As previous replies have stated, the later D jet cars used that pump, as did the L jet cars through the VW Vanagons. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Feb 23 2006, 12:53 PM
Post #13

Sir Post-a-lot

QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 23 2006, 08:05 AM)

b

Dropping the pressure from an FI pump down to 3-4 PSI is a well known way to prep for a fire. Seen several carbecues done that way . The Cap'n

I agree it would be stupid to do that, but it is possible to do.

b
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 02:27 PM