Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump compatability? and relocation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pnewman
I am in the midst of doing a fuel pump relocation and wanted to know if I could use the smaller cylindrical fuel pumps to replace my 3 hose L jetronic pump. I have a 1974 1.8 liter.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Bleyseng
Thats what Porsche did for the 75-76 cars when they stuck it upfront.

Use the inline pump and the inline filter with the larger feed hole. clap56.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (pnewman @ Feb 20 2006, 01:39 PM)
I am in the midst of doing a fuel pump relocation and wanted to know if I could use the smaller cylindrical fuel pumps to replace my 3 hose L jetronic pump. I have a 1974 1.8 liter.

The single-in/single-out VW pump will work fine, but it's the same size as the 3-line one. Porsche went to that pump for the 75-76 cars. If you're thinking of one of the smaller aftermarket pumps, probably not. You need to match up the pressure/flow with what you have. The Cap'n
pnewman
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 20 2006, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (pnewman @ Feb 20 2006, 01:39 PM)
I am in the midst of doing a fuel pump relocation and wanted to know if I could use the smaller cylindrical fuel pumps to replace my 3 hose L jetronic pump.  I have a 1974 1.8 liter.  

The single-in/single-out VW pump will work fine, but it's the same size as the 3-line one. Porsche went to that pump for the 75-76 cars. If you're thinking of one of the smaller aftermarket pumps, probably not. You need to match up the pressure/flow with what you have. The Cap'n

What is the GPM and PSI rating of my oem pump?
What are the GPM and PSI requirements of my 1974 L Jetronic system for my 1.8 liter?

Is it that easy to find out GPM and PSI ratings of after market pumps? or other year 914's?

thanks
bd1308
on my 914, I have a fuel pump from a 97 Ford Ranger, being fed from a line with a 914 stock fuel filter, then going way back and then going to a 300ZX fuel filter...

whole setup cost 100 or so dollars...been working solid for a dialy three months.

As dependable as a.....a.....honduh

b
pnewman
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 21 2006, 04:17 AM)
on my 914, I have a fuel pump from a 97 Ford Ranger, being fed from a line with a 914 stock fuel filter, then going way back and then going to a 300ZX fuel filter...

whole setup cost 100 or so dollars...been working solid for a dialy three months.

As dependable as a.....a.....honduh

b

What fuel delivery system are you running?

Carbs?
L jet?
D jet?
bd1308
I'm using L-jet, but I went ahead and mounted everything up front (except for fuel filter #2) so I could get rid of the vapor lock issues....or at least that was the excuse I was using...shoudl work *EXACTLY* the same with D-jet, and if you purchased a regulator that would cut the pressure down to 3-4 psi from the FI pump, you could run carbs.

b
pnewman
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 21 2006, 08:35 AM)
I'm using L-jet, but I went ahead and mounted everything up front (except for fuel filter #2) so I could get rid of the vapor lock issues....or at least that was the excuse I was using...shoudl work *EXACTLY* the same with D-jet, and if you purchased a regulator that would cut the pressure down to 3-4 psi from the FI pump, you could run carbs.

b

So you think that the D jet fuel pump would work fine mounted up front w/ the L jet EFI system?

I like that pump better. It seems as though it would be easier to service it than the 3 hose oem L jet pump.

thanks
Air_Cooled_Nut
The fuel pump from a fuel injected VW Type 3 should work. D-jet system w/three ports on the pump.

Nothing magical or extra difficult with a three port pump rolleyes.gif
pnewman
QUOTE (Air_Cooled_Nut @ Feb 23 2006, 04:12 AM)
The fuel pump from a fuel injected VW Type 3 should work. D-jet system w/three ports on the pump.

Nothing magical or extra difficult with a three port pump rolleyes.gif

I guess that you hit it on the head! about the 3 port "magic"
Cylinder pumps seem to be the way now.

what's up w/ 3 ports!

anyone know the psi and gpm of the old 3 port pumps?
Cap'n Krusty

b

Dropping the pressure from an FI pump down to 3-4 PSI is a well known way to prep for a fire. Seen several carbecues done that way . The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (pnewman @ Feb 22 2006, 08:25 PM)

b

So you think that the D jet fuel pump would work fine mounted up front w/ the L jet EFI system?

I like that pump better. It seems as though it would be easier to service it than the 3 hose oem L jet pump.

thanks

As previous replies have stated, the later D jet cars used that pump, as did the L jet cars through the VW Vanagons. The Cap'n
bd1308
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 23 2006, 08:05 AM)

b

Dropping the pressure from an FI pump down to 3-4 PSI is a well known way to prep for a fire. Seen several carbecues done that way . The Cap'n

I agree it would be stupid to do that, but it is possible to do.

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.