Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SOT: 993 and 996 Questions
Loser_Cruiser
post Feb 21 2006, 09:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,873
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I've been looking at buying another car to replace my current daily driver. I like the 993's and the 996's but the question I have is how much work can be done my self? Can basic maintence be done my self? such as oil changes and spark plug replacements and so on. Is the 993 easier to work on than the 996? thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 21 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

bigger question is: "would you like water with that sir"?? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

two totally different cars........I'd opt for the 993 myself.....and yes, on both you can do the usual stuff yourself....

+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 21 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #3

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

I dunno about 996s, but a professional tech may spend most of a full day doing a service on a 993. Think about it. I'd sure look for a 911 Carrera or a REALLY nice later SC. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Loser_Cruiser
post Feb 21 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #4

Thanks. I most certainly would prefer a 993 because it was the last of the aircooled but it seems that prices for a 996 with comparable miles to a 993 are a lot less. This probably being due to the fact that the 993 is the last of its kind.
+Quote Post
MattR
post Feb 22 2006, 01:25 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

For a daily driver? I would say the 996. I've done work on both (much more on the 996), and the 996 is MUCH easier to deal with. Spark plug changes on a 993: good luck... unless you're gumby, you need lotsa time for those. The 996 is a more updated car, newer, better technology, more comfortable ride, faster, and better seating position for someone my height - 6'4". Plus, a replacement 996 engine is like 10k installed. A 993 rebuild starts at 15k.
+Quote Post
Terrance
post Feb 22 2006, 11:14 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,526

I have a 993 as a daily driver. Drives great and somewhat easy to maintain myself. Although I have yet to work on the spark plugs, it already looks like a beyatch. Oil change is time consuming, but not messy. I have 101K on the car now, and no problems have came up yet, just the relay for the fuel pump is going out, which is causing some starting issues. $25 fix.

+Quote Post
Loser_Cruiser
post Feb 22 2006, 06:50 PM
Post #7

Thanks again. for your replies. I'm gonna keep looking and try and get the best car I can find for what I wanna pay. Although its starting to look like its gonna be a 996.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 04:09 AM