Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: 993 and 996 Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Loser_Cruiser
I've been looking at buying another car to replace my current daily driver. I like the 993's and the 996's but the question I have is how much work can be done my self? Can basic maintence be done my self? such as oil changes and spark plug replacements and so on. Is the 993 easier to work on than the 996? thanks!
Mueller
bigger question is: "would you like water with that sir"?? biggrin.gif

two totally different cars........I'd opt for the 993 myself.....and yes, on both you can do the usual stuff yourself....

Cap'n Krusty
I dunno about 996s, but a professional tech may spend most of a full day doing a service on a 993. Think about it. I'd sure look for a 911 Carrera or a REALLY nice later SC. The Cap'n
Loser_Cruiser
Thanks. I most certainly would prefer a 993 because it was the last of the aircooled but it seems that prices for a 996 with comparable miles to a 993 are a lot less. This probably being due to the fact that the 993 is the last of its kind.
MattR
For a daily driver? I would say the 996. I've done work on both (much more on the 996), and the 996 is MUCH easier to deal with. Spark plug changes on a 993: good luck... unless you're gumby, you need lotsa time for those. The 996 is a more updated car, newer, better technology, more comfortable ride, faster, and better seating position for someone my height - 6'4". Plus, a replacement 996 engine is like 10k installed. A 993 rebuild starts at 15k.
Terrance
I have a 993 as a daily driver. Drives great and somewhat easy to maintain myself. Although I have yet to work on the spark plugs, it already looks like a beyatch. Oil change is time consuming, but not messy. I have 101K on the car now, and no problems have came up yet, just the relay for the fuel pump is going out, which is causing some starting issues. $25 fix.

Loser_Cruiser
Thanks again. for your replies. I'm gonna keep looking and try and get the best car I can find for what I wanna pay. Although its starting to look like its gonna be a 996.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.