Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> porsche 6, or 914 4, engine choice
Jake Raby
post Feb 25 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #101

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Damn near every engine I build will spin 7,300...... 95% of them go that high on the dyno before they leave..

Grant, now you are taking a slam at another well respected member of this forum who MAKES THOSE HEADERS BY HAND and does an incredible job of it. His name is Racer Chris.......Didn't mommy tell you it's not nice to disrespect other people and their work?

I'm almost to the point of getting pissed with you and you indirectly stating that my dyno numbers are "Claims".....

Ask anyone who has one of these engines if they doubt the power it produces and see what they say. Hell, Joe Ricard drove my car equipped with a 170 HP 2316 (made 146HP at the rear wheels at the SE Dyno day in 2005, in front of about 75 people) see if he doubts the power.

It pisses me off when people call me a liar, especially those that wouldn't have the balls to do it to my face.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Feb 25 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #102

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I liked the avatar of you screaming. The Simon one scares me. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Feb 25 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #103

Engine Surgeon

Simon rules.....

He's my hero....
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Feb 25 2006, 10:46 PM
Post #104

Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Hammy @ Feb 25 2006, 07:00 PM)
QUOTE (Dead Air @ Feb 25 2006, 06:52 PM)
Dropping a non Porsche motor is.  Even though it may be very well done, a Subaru motor in a 914 is a toyota MR2.  Just buy an MR2 and be done with it.

I'm of the generation that would never consider putting a Chevy SB in a '67 Mustang.  It might go like crazy but it just isn't right.

The car IS the motor...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

I just have to disagree here - the 914 is one of the only cars I can think of where the engine is not important. The great driving aspect of the car is everything.

No comparison at all to a SBC in a Mustang - their is no good reason at all to do that - none. The Chevy and Ford can both make the same power with the same reliability (or lack of it) for the same cost (or very close.)

An MR2? How is small engined no torque sidewinder a 914? Besides they are not smog exempt so you can't really do anything with them.
+Quote Post
ModPR3
post Feb 26 2006, 04:08 AM
Post #105

Member No.: 5,544

i just wanted to say that i didnt mean for this post to become flame wars. i honestly just wanted opinions on both engines just to give me an idea of cost vs power, ease of install and upgrades available, ect. but i feel like i opened up pandoras box. everyone is entittled to their own opinion and it should be left at that. with that said i do thank those of you who did help me out with my question i really do appriciate it.
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Feb 26 2006, 07:28 AM
Post #106

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

i just wanted to say that i didnt mean for this post to become flame wars. i honestly just wanted opinions on both engines just to give me an idea of cost vs power, ease of install and upgrades available, ect. but i feel like i opened up pandoras box. everyone is entittled to their own opinion and it should be left at that. with that said i do thank those of you who did help me out with my question i really do appriciate it.

Hey don't worry about it. We go through this exercise periodically. Kinda like fightin with the old lady. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif) Everyone gets all upset, nothing gets decided (cause there is no right and wrong), the thread dies and then we do it all over again after a little rest. It must be cathartic cause we seem to like it. No harm done.

Actually maybe it more like bass fishin. Toss in a little bait and wait for the action to begin. Maybe feedin piranha.

I think we will go to our graves arguing this and when we get to Heaven there'll be 914's with flat 10s and we'll all feel kinda stupid. Then we'll start arguing whether a flat 10 or a V 16 SBC is better cause we're never satisfied.

Dave
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 26 2006, 08:00 AM
Post #107

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

All I can say is that big /4 owners have big dicks and the reason small dick guys want to do a /6 is because they think it's less painful than a penis extension.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Feb 26 2006, 08:23 AM
Post #108

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Aw man look where this leadin us. Better get your wife on here to confirm that claim. At least Jake has dyno numbers for his engines.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Feb 26 2006, 09:14 AM
Post #109

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

it's like ford v. chevy:
"damn chevy, makes my pee yellow... I'd rather push my Ford"
"you know what Ford is: Found On Road Dead"

it's the same (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/jerkit.gif) shit as it always is...

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Feb 26 2006, 09:32 AM
Post #110

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Feb 25 2006, 07:35 PM)
Damn near every engine I build will spin 7,300...... 95% of them go that high on the dyno before they leave..

Grant, now you are taking a slam at another well respected member of this forum who MAKES THOSE HEADERS BY HAND and does an incredible job of it. His name is Racer Chris.......Didn't mommy tell you it's not nice to disrespect other people and their work?

I'm almost to the point of getting pissed with you and you indirectly stating that my dyno numbers are "Claims".....

Ask anyone who has one of these engines if they doubt the power it produces and see what they say. Hell, Joe Ricard drove my car equipped with a 170 HP 2316 (made 146HP at the rear wheels at the SE Dyno day in 2005, in front of about 75 people) see if he doubts the power.

It pisses me off when people call me a liar, especially those that wouldn't have the balls to do it to my face.

I wasnt slamming Tangerine. His work is incredible and worth every penny. I even said his work is great. But the cost is a consideration. For people making a decison on which route to go. Remeber this is a thread asking about costs between T4 and 6. Another high quality manufacturer of 914-6 headers, MSDS, makes very nice quaility headers for six conversion for under $500 for 914club members. These are cost decisons not emotional issues as you make them.

Which fuel delivery system was used, which header and muffler combo from Tangerine (stock, improved, modified) was used for your claimed 170 HP turn key engine.

Oh and Jake what gets hacked in a six conversion? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 26 2006, 09:39 AM
Post #111

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE (DNHunt @ Feb 26 2006, 05:28 AM)

Actually maybe it more like bass fishin. Toss in a little bait and wait for the action to begin. Maybe feedin piranha.

Dave

I must be a gutton for punishment as I swim where there are piranha ( in Surianme) and I read this crap over and over......

You can buy a used Raby motor (2270cc- 145-170hp) and drop it in for about the same price as a used 6 (130-220hp). ($2000-5000).

The killer part of a six swap is all the conversion pieces! BradR posted a list awhile ago to the tune of $4500 new. yeah, yeah you can be a swapmeet Louie and get used parts or swap for them for cheaper...Me, I am kinda anal so I want new oem Porsche parts so making engine tin outta some leftover metal ducting isn't for me.

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 26 2006, 09:42 AM
Post #112

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

WAH-WAH-WAH

You're just pissed because you now realize that your wimpy used 2.4 will have no more power than a new 2056cc T4.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
LouisCypher
post Feb 26 2006, 09:48 AM
Post #113

Member No.: 3,591

QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Feb 22 2006, 09:47 AM)
2316cc “B mod”

96X80mm
170BHP@ 6,500 RPM
170 lb/ft TQ @ 4,000 RPM
Engine redline @ 7,300 RPM
Fuel requirement- 91 octane

Induction- priced with new 44mm IDF carbs. Not compatible with Stock EFI. Programmable fuel injection, optional for this engine, based on stock plenum/runners or individual runner T/Bs for engines using the 914 DTM. Individual runners not available for this engine without the 914 DTM.
Note about carbs- If the customer has their own carbs, they will not be utilized- sell them on Ebay and I’ll include brand new ones! Carbs can create a variable in the pricing and that’s not a possibility. I also do not fancy used, old carbs that give me a fit on the dyno and need repairs. The engine is priced with New Webers and matching linkage.

Exhaust- Not included, HEATER BOXES NOT COMPATIBLE Kerry Hunter header or the Tangerine Racing header required. Euro race header is not adequate for this engine, nor is the triad or Bursch

Why is the European Racing header not adequate for this engine?

Cheers,

Louis
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Feb 26 2006, 11:09 AM
Post #114

Engine Surgeon

Why is the European Racing header not adequate for this engine?

When tested with this engine combo the header in question won't yield 155HP from the engine. BSFC numbers are 20% higher and head and oil temperatures rise at least 10%.

Install the Tangerine and all that goes away and the engine can be tuned to 170+ within 2 more pulls.

Trust me- I have done this test back to back many times.

One can't expect to spend 5K+ on engine internals and try to exhaust all of that for under 500 bucks- those that do it waste all their money. Remember- everything that is done to an engine except the exhaust system is done to get more air INTO the engine, or to light the fire to make the power with that air, and guess what 80% of what goes in MUST come back out as efficient as possible. If it does not, all the other money spent was wasted...

If you cheese out on exhaust your exhaust valves and exhaust seats will hate you for it- when they speak up, you WILL listen.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 03:54 PM