Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Conversion trans?, What the heck do the V8 guys have to use
andys
post Feb 28 2006, 11:18 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Feb 27 2006, 10:03 AM)

I asked KEP and they didn't seem interested in making the Box plate, time and demand or $$$ will tell...

PM me your source for these Audi/Getrag 01E 6 speed (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif)

Felix,

It was quite some time ago that I was at Kennedy. My impression is that a personal visit would likely go far towards creating some motivation or some spirit of collaboration; can't say for sure. They were quite accomodating when I was there talking with them (the guy that runs the shop; don't recall his name). There are a lot of other details to work out however, such as the clutch and throw out bearing spacing, etc. If you have a Gen I SBC, then perhaps an adapter plate for an Audi 016 transaxle would work sans the starter mounting. You could drill your own holes. I'll compare the 016 against the Boxster/Audi patterns tonight.

Posting pic's is some kind of sudden file compatibility issue that I need to work out regardless. Went from 2000 to XP and problems occurred?? I'm only starting the adapter plate fabrication, so nothing particularly interesting to post just yet. I've made a master plate.

The 01E is very difficult to find, even in Europe. I got mine better than two years ago.

Andys
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Feb 28 2006, 11:56 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

The problem with the Boxster tranny is the limited torque capacity. It is rated at 280ftlbs. This will easily be overcome by a healthy V8. The Audi box really has price going for it but there is a concern about its durablilty in the long run. If the car is light wieght and you limit the abuse, it may last awhile.

In reality though, the ZF and the 930 are the only gearbox out there that can really handle good V8 power. Unless you can score some of the highend race type boxes. Or the Belt drive setup may be an option, just don't know if it would work in a 914. May be too long.

This problem is very frustrating for those of us that need a tranny that will reliably hold mucho power or many hours on the track.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Feb 28 2006, 12:04 PM
Post #43

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (Brett W @ Feb 28 2006, 10:56 AM)
The problem with the Boxster tranny is the limited torque capacity. It is rated at 280ftlbs. This will easily be overcome by a healthy V8. The Audi box really has price going for it but there is a concern about its durablilty in the long run. If the car is light wieght and you limit the abuse, it may last awhile.

In reality though, the ZF and the 930 are the only gearbox out there that can really handle good V8 power. Unless you can score some of the highend race type boxes. Or the Belt drive setup may be an option, just don't know if it would work in a 914. May be too long.

This problem is very frustrating for those of us that need a tranny that will reliably hold mucho power or many hours on the track.

What is a 901 "rated" at? What's the most power the factory ever put in front of or behind one?

It seems to me they have been known to survive with something like double the torque they were designed for. If the boxster trans is rated at 280 ft-lbs, shouldn't there be some headroom there too? Or do they really design them with no capacity left these days?

I will be using a 901 with H gear, rebuilt with mostly used parts (the best from 6 transmissions) and a homebrew electric pump, filter and cooler. My LT1 is rated at 325 ft-lbs. Only time will tell!
+Quote Post
andys
post Feb 28 2006, 12:29 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GS Guy @ Feb 28 2006, 05:12 AM)
Thought you guys might be interested in some developments on the Audi 016 transaxle. For a mid-priced, moderate powere level (400hp or less) trans, this would seem like a viable and appropriately priced option. I'm no transaxle expert, but following the $$ tossed around for converted 915s, 930s, built up 914s, and the plethora of non-porsche options - this Audi box sure looks like it should fit into the picture somewhere!

From the GT40s.com board:
http://www.gt40s.com/ubbthreads/showflat.p.../0/page/0#57684

The "news" is a new lower ratio R&P set will soon be available (and under testing now) making this trans better geared for a V8. From my engine speed vs road speed plots, this new ratio spreads the gearing over the 930, with slightly shorter first, and taller 5th. With a 26" tire it runs 2000rpm @70mph.

A $4K fully rebuilt trans, with a Quaife (and your core), that sounds to me like a viable option. If it will really support 400hp & 350 ft.lbs reliably, it could be a bargain! Maybe the perfect "mid range" transaxle option?

Jeff

The main advantage to the Audi 016 transaxle is it's availability and cost. Though I imagine at some point they'll start to become scarce, salvage yard prices are in the $300 range. This gives plenty of room for rebuilds, upgrades, LSD, etc. Kennedy does make the adapter plates and clutch/flywheel assemblies (except for Gen III SBC's). HP capability and durability I feel is not completely settled, as most users are GT40/Lola MkIIIB replica builders that likely don't "hotrod" them. My guess is 400HP, but it depends a great deal on how you drive them.

Under my encouragement, I directed the GT40 forum members to John Steadman of German Transaxle of America (GTA) who was willing to persue a taller ring and pinion effort (it originally started as a retro of a 951 R&P to an 016). Fortunately, one of the GT40 Forum members stepped up and funded the development of a 3.22:1 R&P.

Andys
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 28 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #45

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Im watching this audi trani option....

Someone do it..
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Feb 28 2006, 02:29 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 623

If you have up to 280 ft lbs of torque buy a cheap 901. If you have more than 400 ft. lbs. Skip the 915 and go right to a 930. (I learned the hard way when I blew my 915 up!). The difference in price between a 915 & 930 is not that much. I assume that if you are in need of one of these higher priced boxes you have the money to afford it. Personally, it took 7 years to complete my project. If you cannot afford a 930 box, you have no business playing around with big horsepower. You'll blow the 901 up every time and have a junkyard full of 901 boxes littered everywhere. It doesn't take a hell of alot to blow a 915 up either. How much HP and what is your budget? Go from there...and use the search engine...it'll give you great knowledge.

Bill
+Quote Post
andys
post Feb 28 2006, 02:30 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Think I got my compatibility issues resolved.

Here you are; Rare Audi/Getrag 01E 6 speed destined for my car. s/b same bellhousing bolt pattern as the Boxster/Audi model 012 5 speed.

Andys

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 28 2006, 02:32 PM
Post #48

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (andys @ Feb 28 2006, 01:30 PM)

Here you are; Rare Audi/Getrag 01E 6 speed destined for my car. s/b same bellhousing bolt pattern as the Boxster/Audi model 012 5 speed.

Andys

nice.....what cars did those get put into from the factory?

FWD A6 cars or ??

+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Feb 28 2006, 02:38 PM
Post #49

Hey Andy,

I've talked with you in the past about tranaxles. How's it going? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) I just finished hooking up my 930 box on my car via cable shifter. I'm curious how you are going to shift your Audi box? By the way, that thing looks nice.

Bill
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Feb 28 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 3,518

QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 28 2006, 12:32 PM)
QUOTE (andys @ Feb 28 2006, 01:30 PM)

Andys

FWD A6 cars or ??

FWD - Euro only. The flanges can be changed over to "normal" round ones. I'm not sure if those cam the upgraded 1st gear or not.
+Quote Post
andys
post Feb 28 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (wbergtho @ Feb 28 2006, 12:38 PM)
Hey Andy,

I've talked with you in the past about tranaxles. How's it going? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) I just finished hooking up my 930 box on my car via cable shifter. I'm curious how you are going to shift your Audi box? By the way, that thing looks nice.

Bill

Bill,

I sent you some pic's of the Teleflex cable system. Did you get those? I was planning on a lever system until I saw that, which I like very much. We'll see as the swap progresses. How do you like the cable shift that you made up?

Andys
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Feb 28 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #52

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533

Great pics of how to mate a 930 to a LS1 including wildwood slaved clutch linkage.

HERE.
+Quote Post
andys
post Feb 28 2006, 03:28 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Porcharu @ Feb 28 2006, 12:44 PM)
Andys [/QUOTE]

FWD A6 cars or ?? [/QUOTE]
FWD - Euro only. The flanges can be changed over to "normal" round ones. I'm not sure if those cam the upgraded 1st gear or not.

Yup, Euro only. All '97 up FWD Audi's (with the 6 speed option) except TT. The upgraded 1st came along in about '99, which is verifiable by the code and the center casting. This one is an '02.

Andys
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 28 2006, 04:22 PM
Post #54

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE (wbergtho @ Feb 28 2006, 01:29 PM)
If you have up to 280 ft lbs of torque buy a cheap 901. If you have more than 400 ft. lbs. Skip the 915 and go right to a 930. (I learned the hard way when I blew my 915 up!). The difference in price between a 915 & 930 is not that much. I assume that if you are in need of one of these higher priced boxes you have the money to afford it. Personally, it took 7 years to complete my project. If you cannot afford a 930 box, you have no business playing around with big horsepower. You'll blow the 901 up every time and have a junkyard full of 901 boxes littered everywhere. It doesn't take a hell of alot to blow a 915 up either. How much HP and what is your budget? Go from there...and use the search engine...it'll give you great knowledge.

Bill

And what if you have more than 280 tq, and less than 400??

Call it a "screwed" category???

IM at 315 since my last dyno pull, and I went to FI since then...
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 28 2006, 04:35 PM
Post #55

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 28 2006, 03:22 PM)
And what if you have more than 280 tq, and less than 400??

Call it a "screwed" category???

IM at 315 since my last dyno pull, and I went to FI since then...

you are in the "get a second job" or "max out your credit cards" category (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

it's almost funny to see people whine and complain about that there not being a cost effective or cheap solution...the 901 was not designed from the get go for what people are trying to put it thru, whether it be a V8 or even a bigger /6...end of rant (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 28 2006, 05:16 PM
Post #56

Spooling.... Please wait

Mike, I know...

Im just telling him that we "the people" are working on a solution for that void, at a cost effective margin...

The RN1 trani..

This Audi trani..

The Subaru trani...

ect.. (if there is any..)

I havent done much but throw yes's and no's, and stuff around.. so im excluded from the "we" portion of that statement..
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Feb 28 2006, 05:23 PM
Post #57

Andrew,

If you are a very smooth driver...you may find that your 901 holds up. You are at the threshold on a 901 in my opinion...but as I said...smooth driving and a bit of intuition can help your 901 go a long way. My friend, Randy Beck raced a 3.2 914-6 running about 330HP (probably about what you have for torque) and claimed to have luck with his. I believe his was running an oil cooler & diff pump as well. I'm hoping you don't blow up...just know that if it does happen...you won't be too surprised. Like I was when my 915 blew up. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 28 2006, 05:32 PM
Post #58

Spooling.... Please wait

Oh I've run my car with my tq for about a year and a half...

Broken 3 cv's.. (you can see one break in my vid labeled "<--- new" in my sig)

I think my trani will last... but I am not satisfied with the performance of my engine... I would like around 400hp and 350tq.. Mainly I want more high rpm hp.. But Im very sure my trani will not hold the tq.. (especially with goodyear cantileviear slicks hehe, or my lowly hoosiers..)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 04:20 AM