Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rust on my Torsion bar, Paper weight?
Eric_Shea
post Feb 27 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #21

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Because I don't want to have to go back in there.

Not sure what that has to do with installing larger torsion bars. What advantage are you hoping to get from the big bars?

The least stiff upgraded bars would be new or better stock ones... I'm convinced, this is one of those things people do just because 'it's bigger'. Now you're going to have to spend even more money (didn't you say something about the car draining your wallet?) getting the back end to play nice with the front end.

Enjoy the ride. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Feb 27 2006, 07:47 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

You need to focus on what caused the rust on the bar. Are the rubber bushings out of round or flat? When they collapse the let the torsion bar rub the metal in the tube. It starts the sawing action on the torsion bar that causes the rust and metal failure. There are plenty of cheap stock bars for sale out there.
+Quote Post
Jaiden
post Feb 28 2006, 06:17 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 3,443

QUOTE (914Sixer @ Feb 27 2006, 05:47 PM)
You need to focus on what caused the rust on the bar. Are the rubber bushings out of round or flat? When they collapse the let the torsion bar rub the metal in the tube. It starts the sawing action on the torsion bar that causes the rust and metal failure. There are plenty of cheap stock bars for sale out there.

Sixer,
I'm redoing the entire front-end New bushings, torsion seals, ball joints, tie-rods, struts, swaybar etc... So I should solve all of the problems at once.

Eric,
Why so harsh? If 21mm is too much for 95% of the owners out there then what do they use the 22mm, 23mm, 24mm bars for? and if stockers are so good why doesn't the majority of the vendors have the stockers? PP and AA say that they are NLA you would think that if the right bar for street/ax (95% of what the 914 is used for)is stock they would sell a 18mm and 19mm bar.
So what would you recommend? hunt through the classifieds for some stockers that are 30+ years old? Do you know of a vender that sells NEW stockers or upgraded?
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 28 2006, 12:33 PM
Post #24

PMB Performance

Why so harsh?

REALLY didn't mean to come across as harsh. Sorry. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

If 21mm is too much for 95% of the owners out there then what do they use the 22mm, 23mm, 24mm bars for? and if stockers are so good why doesn't the majority of the vendors have the stockers? PP and AA say that they are NLA you would think that if the right bar for street/ax (95% of what the 914 is used for)is stock they would sell a 18mm and 19mm bar.

Why do people sell 'Flow-Bees' when they give you shitty haircuts? They make money selling 'bigger' bars. Do some searching here. Some of the best minds on the board have recently supported the bigger sway bar, lighter t-bar theory, especially for autocrossing. I like a supple suspension that works with you in that situation. Awesome shocks and a killer anti-sway bar would be my ticket for a nice autox machine. I would save the big bars for serious high speed circuits. Maybe if there's a demand these mfgs. will make a decent 18mm bar... $240 can go a long way toward finding you a good anti-sway bar.

So what would you recommend? hunt through the classifieds for some stockers that are 30+ years old? Do you know of a vender that sells NEW stockers or upgraded?

I've inserted my 'opinion' too much here and it comes across as harsh. Again, sorry about that. It's your car. But... that's exactly what I would do. I'd be willing to bet Rich Bontempi has a 'ton' of stock bars that are in excellent shape. When this thread got started I went out to look at my stash but I only had one good one and the other looked like yours. I would have 'given' them to you for the cost of shipping. I'll bet there's a handfull of people here that would ship you good stock bars for the cost of freight.

Bottom line... the 21's will probably hurt your wallet more than your ride. Keep in mind, you'll want a balanced car for any type of racing. What you do up front, you should also do in the back.

Good luck with the project. Keep us posted.
+Quote Post
Jaiden
post Feb 28 2006, 04:27 PM
Post #25

Wow! Thanks Eric! You've definitly given me a diferent perspective.

I just got a A-arm from spoke and it actually had a good torsion bar so I can use that one instead of my rusted one so I canceled the order for the larger bars. I think my car could really use the money else where.

Don't get me wrong I really appreciate the input of the guys that have more experience than me. So what I have learned out of this is to focus on the sway bar more than the torsion bars and make sure to match the front suspension to the rear to have the WHOLE car balanced.

By the way I just finished installing the stock sway!!!! I figure I will live with the stock torsions, sway and rear springs until I get the car back on the road and track and learn the car for now and then upgrade once I gain more experience.

Thanks again!!!!!
+Quote Post
degreeoff
post Feb 28 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #26

I like big butts and I can not lie!

Member No.: 275
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I use 21mm and 180lbs in the back......It may ride like a truck BUT it kicks ass on the pavment......Jaiden, I know you think ill of me but if you are going to use the 21mms up front I have a barley used set of Bilstiens w/adjustable perches and 180lb springs I'll give ya 1st dibbs on.....$200+ship

Josh
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 28 2006, 04:36 PM
Post #27

PMB Performance

I figure I will live with the stock torsions, sway and rear springs until I get the car back on the road and track and learn the car for now and then upgrade once I gain more experience.

Couldn't have said it better myself. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

And remember... those are just my opinions. Others have theirs and you should weigh them all according to what you want to acheive.

I really love the comment about 'learn then upgrade'. Even the stock bar will improve your handling tremendously... that and all the new front end goodies.
+Quote Post
Jaiden
post Feb 28 2006, 04:45 PM
Post #28

Josh,
Why would I feel ill of you??? Never hard feeling here.

If I could convince the wife I might go for the bil's but I agreed with her to just do the brakes and front end this season and the rears next season.

Damn I'm whipped!!!
+Quote Post
degreeoff
post Feb 28 2006, 04:53 PM
Post #29

I like big butts and I can not lie!

Member No.: 275
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I understand what ya mean...glad you're not upset I really thought you had bought the otherguy's sway...but onward and upward. You should see the F*kn work I have been up to.......

Cars on a rotisserie......stripin everything I can underneath....it is a Beech! and there is NO easy way.....chisel (the best way to get the undercoating off) followed by 2 coats aircraft remover and a wire brush (small thing) to get the paint/primer off

I'll do a blog update in a month or so so all can see the progress of my six conversion/resto/RUSTOration.....$10K and climbing......no for the weak of wallet.....I hope my 200hp 2.4 with 2.2S p&c's and S+ cams is worth it.......
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Feb 28 2006, 05:01 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/hijacked.gif) Will stiffer springs and torsion bars make my Bilstein shocks feel a little bit less harsh? I'm thinking they are overdamped and I need more spring to compensate? I'm ok with a stiff ride as long as bumps hit with a "thud" and not a "crash".
+Quote Post
robby750
post Feb 28 2006, 05:01 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 521
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE (Jaiden @ Feb 28 2006, 02:45 PM)

Damn I'm whipped!!!

[QUOTE]

You are not alone. I had my new shocks and springs delivered to my work so the wife wouldn't see them. Now if I can just sneak em into the garage I think I'll be safe.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 08:29 AM