Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Data Acquisition units, who's using what?
nine14cats
post Feb 28 2006, 01:50 PM
Post #1

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Group: Members
Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

Our track car "Fritz" is coming along wonderfully in setup. It is plenty fast for our learning curve and just a great time to drive.

The last thing on the wish list is a data logger system for the track. There are now several different ones out on the market. I have been looking at these:

AIM Pista and MyChron Family

Traqmate

DL-1

Anyone have experience running any of these? I like the GPS track mapping feature and the digital dash that I can use with these. As I clean up the interior of the race car it will be a nice install and have a clear readout.

The software creates trackmaps that you can review post run session and you can break up the track into segments to review your breaking and acceleration points as well as lateral g's. Being that all Windows software is not created equal, I want the easiest to use which still gives me the ability to create a track map.

Anyone using this type of tool?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Bill P.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MattR
post Feb 28 2006, 02:51 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

For the price and support, you cant beat AIM. I would reccomend them. Its all we run on our cars (grand am GS and GT).
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Feb 28 2006, 02:58 PM
Post #3

Matt,

Are you guys using the Pista or MyChron family? Any insight into how easy or hard the software is to use?

Thanks,

Bill P.
+Quote Post
MattR
post Feb 28 2006, 03:01 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

We use the Pista family. As far as software, they use Motec software and its very easy to use. It helps that we have one of the guys that works for AIM as our team engineers...

Ive never personally used Motec software (or AIM), but Ive heard it isnt too tough to learn.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Feb 28 2006, 03:53 PM
Post #5

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I love my DL-1
(IMG:http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/customers/bolsen/invitem24067.JPG)

I use it in the car and on the dyno for all sorts of testing, mostly temperature acquisition. I have configured mine to even log AFR and torque readings on the dyno...
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Feb 28 2006, 03:58 PM
Post #6

Hi Jake,

What is your opinion of the software that comes with the DL-1? So far I seem to be leaning towards the DL-1 or MXL Pista.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Thanks,

Bill P.
+Quote Post
groot
post Mar 4 2006, 09:14 AM
Post #7

Dis member

Member No.: 1,444

I use the AIM Mychron. Very easy and comes with a display. Huge benefit for me because I didn't have to invest in guages.

The software is supposedly the easiest to use (speaking with others who have tried several others). Around here AIM is definitely the price/benefit leader according to the people I work with that race.

One downside to AIM Mychron is not GPS based, so you have to set up or use someone's beacon. But, at races, someone's got one up, so it's not that big of a deal.
+Quote Post
TimT
post Mar 4 2006, 09:29 AM
Post #8

retired

Member No.: 313

I have both a DL1 and an AIM mychron

I started with the DL90, upgraded to the DL1. I used this with the analog instrumentation in my car.

I then decided to clean up the interior, lose the weight of the gauges (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif) so I bought a AIM mychron plus. In hindsight I should have coughed up the extra few bucks and got the AIM with GPS

In all Im happy with each unit. both provide me with way moe info than I know what to do with. The software for each is fairly simple to use, and is very flexible. ie you can write you own formulae and incorporate that into the analysis software if it suits you. ( that is if you need some analysis that isnt in the package already.)

Race-Technology also makes a display that works with the DL1, but it is expensive.

Another option is the Racepak which is an GPS based system, with an included display.
+Quote Post
groot
post Mar 4 2006, 09:42 AM
Post #9

Dis member

Member No.: 1,444

BTW... I'm pretty sure you can download the AIM software for free from their website. I can e-mail you one of my data files and you can play with the software with real data. It may help you make a decision.
+Quote Post
TimT
post Mar 4 2006, 12:48 PM
Post #10

retired

Member No.: 313

Yes the software from both vendors is available for free.

I have a bunch of DL files you could play with, but then you would know waht a crappy driver I am (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 09:53 PM