Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Horns 1 or 2, how many Hz is this supposed to be?, Just got a new horn sounds like a beetle
Tobra
post Mar 5 2006, 09:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,634

My horn did not work when I bought the car. Wire not connected in horn ring, and the horn seemed dead even with certain power. Had cover off, and the horn on the car is a Hella, obviously, stamped with a 335 Hz on the back. Got a new horn at Bugformance, which is dual tone, 335/400 Hz Hellamex horn, works fine, sounds like any other VW, and I am left with a question. Were dual horns an option, and wiring was there, in case you want a second one, did they come with dual tone horn, or a single tone or what? I figure I will just get a second dual tone horn, might as well be twice as loud, and it is wired already, or maybe get one that is a little different to give it a different sound, who knows anything about acoustics, or more accurately I suppose sound?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DanT
post Mar 5 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #2

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

My '74 had two horns... now it only has one. Was a dual tone setup. Sounded like a real Porsche not a VW. didn't need two horns on a mostly track car. Just put one back on to remain street legal.
Horn that is sitting in my pile of stuff is a Hella 400hz model.
+Quote Post
eg914
post Mar 5 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,223

When I bought my car the horn didn't work. Very scarry when commuting with SUVs. I went to Bugformance and bought a 335 MHz horn and a 400MHz horn (or whatever the high and low tone horns are). I figured two is better than one, and the wiring was already there. I love the volume. Doesn't sound like my sons VW with both horns connected. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Mar 5 2006, 11:48 PM
Post #4

so if 335Hz and 400Hz was the stock high and low tone, and this horn has both, this is what a dual horn 914 should sound like then. Maybe I will swing by Harbor Freight and see what they have, I wonder how a three tone horn would sound, 335, 400 and maybe 500. I don't really want to put air horns on it, how about one like a Road Runner, beep-beep

Wait a minute, this is a 400 Hz horn, I will have to buy a 335 Hz one to give me the right sound, or get the original one to work.
+Quote Post
eg914
post Mar 6 2006, 12:38 AM
Post #5

Bugformance should have the other horn. They had both when I bought mine, even though the person I talked with on the phone said that they only had the high tone. Good luck. Louder is better when waist high to an SUV.
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Mar 6 2006, 09:19 AM
Post #6

That is what I was thinking. I can yell pretty loud, but I had to fix it when I nearly broke the button off, screaming "Hang up your fvckin phone, you stupid beyatch! Hey, you have a red light dummy!" She kept coming, but I was able to avoid her. My brother put air horns on his bike, and side marker lights, but still says people look right at him and don't see him. My car is orange for crying out loud, the wife does not understand how they miss me.
+Quote Post
eg914
post Mar 7 2006, 12:02 AM
Post #7

When I'm on the right side of a lifted truck, I can't see the driver, so he can't see me. Only way to stop them from using my space is LOUD.

We met the other weekend at the pub. I'm the white '74.
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Mar 7 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #8

Oh yeah, cheers, horn did not work then, or I would have honked it pulling out to go home. Probably see a lot of lifted trucks in Elk Grove I bet. I went back to Bugformance and the HS dropout said, "No, that is the only one we ever have had." Found it on the Pelican site for 5 bucks less, and I am buying some seals from them anyway so it is all good, beep, beep
+Quote Post
MattR
post Mar 7 2006, 12:48 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

la cucaracha ???
+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post Mar 7 2006, 12:58 AM
Post #10

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480

Two words... AIR HORNS. Joe Sharp has them on his car. He scare the hell outa me with them. I think I might soon have them on my car.
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 7 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #11

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Mar 6 2006, 11:58 PM)
Two words... AIR HORNS. Joe Sharp has them on his car. He scare the hell outa me with them. I think I might soon have them on my car.
Cheers, Elliot

shutup elyut.. you cant hear em anyway (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Mar 7 2006, 01:20 AM
Post #12

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

Don't YELL at elyut.

He can't read!!!!

twystd1
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 06:49 PM