Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How pissed would you be?!
akellym
post Mar 10 2006, 06:59 PM
Post #1

Eyes Of The Deep Battle

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,395
Region Association: Northstar Region

So I had a professional do the work on my crank shaft. I have spent the last three weeks assembling my motor. Today I install the drive for the distributor and what do you think happend? For some "unknown" reason it wouldn't seat unless you spin the motor backwards. So I call the "professional" and ask him what my troubles might be. I get the, "I don't know I put the gear back on the same way it came off."

My thought is that he put the "gear" on backwards! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif) Am I wrong? Please lend me your thoughts!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dweymer
post Mar 10 2006, 09:34 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,167

Hey Kelly,

My buddy flies blackhawks for the reserve, called up for Iraq though. Ya I would be pissed, but unless you took pics first, you may as well piss upwind!

Thanks for defending us.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Mar 10 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #3

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (akellym @ Mar 10 2006, 04:59 PM)
So I had a professional do the work on my crank shaft. I have spent the last three weeks assembling my motor. Today I install the drive for the distributor and what do you think happend? For some "unknown" reason it wouldn't seat unless you spin the motor backwards. So I call the "professional" and ask him what my troubles might be. I get the, "I don't know I put the gear back on the same way it came off."

My thought is that he put the "gear" on backwards! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif) Am I wrong? Please lend me your thoughts!

The gear goes on either way. It's symetrical. You put the washer in beneath the drive pinion? The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 10 2006, 09:52 PM
Post #4

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

did he beat the gear on?

joe buckle had a stromberg motor do that... the teeth were all fubar'd
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Mar 11 2006, 02:59 AM
Post #5

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658
Region Association: None

I have built my own engine's for 30 + years most of them horivontaly apposed. I have run into the very same situation, fear not for they have all run famously. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
akellym
post Mar 11 2006, 08:36 AM
Post #6

Eyes Of The Deep Battle

So.... are you saying that it should poop up, when sitting free in the hole? I checked and it is missing the washer the captn talked about. But it didn't have one when I took it apart. So either the PO lost it or fell apart. I did try it last night with a washer. The washer caused it to jam up when you tried to turn the motor. I use a standard 13mm washer, is it to thick?

+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Mar 11 2006, 08:45 AM
Post #7

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

There is a special washer for that thrust surface. It has some machining on it that is for oil flow I believe. It certainly sets the depth of the pinion on the dizzy shaft. I wouldn't run it without the right washer but, I'm kind of anal. I have an extra and could mail it to you but, you might get one sooner locally.

Dave
+Quote Post
type11969
post Mar 11 2006, 08:46 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,410
Region Association: North East States

Have you installed the flywheel and endplay shims yet? If not I believe the crank has enough fore and aft play that the distributor drive gear won't seat while spinning the crank in the normal direction. In fact, you can really screw up the dist. gear if you try to hard to spin the engine in the normal direction. I think it is something like the involute gear of the cam drives the crank forward without the flywheel in, and if you put the dist drive in, it stops the movement, but makes the dist gear "fight" the cam gear. That brass gear won't win. Put the dist drive in last once the endplay is setup.
+Quote Post
akellym
post Mar 11 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #9

Eyes Of The Deep Battle

Thanks Chris! You were the guy with the right answer (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Mar 11 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #10

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658
Region Association: None

I didn't read anything about the dist drive being forced up, just that you had to rotate the engine counter to seat the drive. If you tell the Doctor you have a headache and don't mention the bullet in it , he will give you an asprin...
+Quote Post
hmeeder
post Mar 11 2006, 07:56 PM
Post #11

Dante's Sportscar

Member No.: 3,154

Have you installed the flywheel and endplay shims yet? If not I believe the crank has enough fore and aft play that the distributor drive gear won't seat while spinning the crank in the normal direction. In fact, you can really screw up the dist. gear if you try to hard to spin the engine in the normal direction. I think it is something like the involute gear of the cam drives the crank forward without the flywheel in, and if you put the dist drive in, it stops the movement, but makes the dist gear "fight" the cam gear. That brass gear won't win. Put the dist drive in last once the en dplay is setup.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 11 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #12

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

He obviously doesn't have my video to guide him.....

I go over this in detail..

Its the best 36 bucks you can spend if you are working within the TIV engine.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 04:48 AM