Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How pissed would you be?!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
akellym
So I had a professional do the work on my crank shaft. I have spent the last three weeks assembling my motor. Today I install the drive for the distributor and what do you think happend? For some "unknown" reason it wouldn't seat unless you spin the motor backwards. So I call the "professional" and ask him what my troubles might be. I get the, "I don't know I put the gear back on the same way it came off."

My thought is that he put the "gear" on backwards! headbang.gif Am I wrong? Please lend me your thoughts!
dweymer
Hey Kelly,

My buddy flies blackhawks for the reserve, called up for Iraq though. Ya I would be pissed, but unless you took pics first, you may as well piss upwind!

Thanks for defending us.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (akellym @ Mar 10 2006, 04:59 PM)
So I had a professional do the work on my crank shaft. I have spent the last three weeks assembling my motor. Today I install the drive for the distributor and what do you think happend? For some "unknown" reason it wouldn't seat unless you spin the motor backwards. So I call the "professional" and ask him what my troubles might be. I get the, "I don't know I put the gear back on the same way it came off."

My thought is that he put the "gear" on backwards! headbang.gif Am I wrong? Please lend me your thoughts!

The gear goes on either way. It's symetrical. You put the washer in beneath the drive pinion? The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
did he beat the gear on?

joe buckle had a stromberg motor do that... the teeth were all fubar'd
So.Cal.914

I have built my own engine's for 30 + years most of them horivontaly apposed. I have run into the very same situation, fear not for they have all run famously. wink.gif
akellym
So.... are you saying that it should poop up, when sitting free in the hole? I checked and it is missing the washer the captn talked about. But it didn't have one when I took it apart. So either the PO lost it or fell apart. I did try it last night with a washer. The washer caused it to jam up when you tried to turn the motor. I use a standard 13mm washer, is it to thick?

DNHunt
There is a special washer for that thrust surface. It has some machining on it that is for oil flow I believe. It certainly sets the depth of the pinion on the dizzy shaft. I wouldn't run it without the right washer but, I'm kind of anal. I have an extra and could mail it to you but, you might get one sooner locally.

Dave
type11969
Have you installed the flywheel and endplay shims yet? If not I believe the crank has enough fore and aft play that the distributor drive gear won't seat while spinning the crank in the normal direction. In fact, you can really screw up the dist. gear if you try to hard to spin the engine in the normal direction. I think it is something like the involute gear of the cam drives the crank forward without the flywheel in, and if you put the dist drive in, it stops the movement, but makes the dist gear "fight" the cam gear. That brass gear won't win. Put the dist drive in last once the endplay is setup.
akellym
Thanks Chris! You were the guy with the right answer smilie_pokal.gif
So.Cal.914

I didn't read anything about the dist drive being forced up, just that you had to rotate the engine counter to seat the drive. If you tell the Doctor you have a headache and don't mention the bullet in it , he will give you an asprin...
hmeeder
Have you installed the flywheel and endplay shims yet? If not I believe the crank has enough fore and aft play that the distributor drive gear won't seat while spinning the crank in the normal direction. In fact, you can really screw up the dist. gear if you try to hard to spin the engine in the normal direction. I think it is something like the involute gear of the cam drives the crank forward without the flywheel in, and if you put the dist drive in, it stops the movement, but makes the dist gear "fight" the cam gear. That brass gear won't win. Put the dist drive in last once the en dplay is setup.

agree.gif
Jake Raby
He obviously doesn't have my video to guide him.....

I go over this in detail..

Its the best 36 bucks you can spend if you are working within the TIV engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.