Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Stop me before I touch another transmission!, A story of many broken hard parts.
bryanc
post Mar 13 2006, 01:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,495
Region Association: Southwest Region

So, here's my 914 story with some recent updates.....

Background:
in 1992, I bought a 914 rust-bucket that had just had the tranny rebuilt and the PO forgot to put oil in it. Turns out transmissions don't like that. I bought it for a steal and re-rebuilt the tranny.

It lasted for about 30 miles. Didn't torque the mainshaft bolt correctly and it unscrewed itself through the tailhousing.

In 1994, I had bought a daily driver 914 (my blue car) and it got ran over in a parking lot. So, while it was being repaired, I decided 'why not rebuild the tranny' since it had the familiar 2nd gear crash.

It lasted about 1000 miles. Leaked, ran out of oil, you know the rest.

After that, I bought a good used tranny and vowed to never open it up. It still works (knock on magnesium case)

Today

When I bought the yellow car in my avatar, the PO gave me a second gearbox that the mainshaft bold had backed out of (sound familiar?). He said 'there's lots of shavings in there so it needs to be gone through'. Ok, tonight I decided to go through it....

It's never that easy....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 08:50 PM