Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My car hates me..., Clutch advice anyone?
pib
post Mar 18 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #1

Re Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,530

So at 1:00 am this morning, I'm leaving work, hop in the little red teener, put it in reverse, and snap the clutch cable. I hear it's not un-common. Still drove it home...no traffic at all, and only had to stop once for a red light.

So I'm wondering:
1. What's the best cable to get, and where?
2. It seems an awful big coincidence that this happens the day after I install a new shift lever assembly (thanks again for the help Mueller! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif) )
Is it possible that removing and replacing a shift assembly would affect the clutch cable? I looked at the tube while the shifter was out, and it wasn't bent or otherwise distressed. I installed the new assembly, and adjusted it per the trusty Haynes manual, and it shifted great, until the snap.

3. I've read what the manual says about replacing and adjusting a clutch cable, is there any other advice for a first-timer? Anything else I should check while it's apart?

Thanks,
Pete
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Mar 18 2006, 03:58 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,727

Pete,
I broke a clutch cable a lo-o-o-ng time ago, replaced it with EOM and have not had to r&r it thereafter. I'm assuming that there is a small wheel at the rear of the transmission that your clutch cable is routed around. When I first got the car, I kept that wheel assembly "squeaky" clean, keeping the wheel contour that the cable passed around spotless. After that first clutch cable failure, I've kept the cable/wheel assemply liberally covered in white grease. It's been 20+ years since that cable has been changed, and I no longer worry about it. BTW, make sure there aren't any sharp bends in the cable as it wends its way back into the passenger compartment.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 01:01 PM