Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My car hates me...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pib
So at 1:00 am this morning, I'm leaving work, hop in the little red teener, put it in reverse, and snap the clutch cable. I hear it's not un-common. Still drove it home...no traffic at all, and only had to stop once for a red light.

So I'm wondering:
1. What's the best cable to get, and where?
2. It seems an awful big coincidence that this happens the day after I install a new shift lever assembly (thanks again for the help Mueller! beerchug.gif )
Is it possible that removing and replacing a shift assembly would affect the clutch cable? I looked at the tube while the shifter was out, and it wasn't bent or otherwise distressed. I installed the new assembly, and adjusted it per the trusty Haynes manual, and it shifted great, until the snap.

3. I've read what the manual says about replacing and adjusting a clutch cable, is there any other advice for a first-timer? Anything else I should check while it's apart?

Thanks,
Pete
1970 Neun vierzehn
Pete,
I broke a clutch cable a lo-o-o-ng time ago, replaced it with EOM and have not had to r&r it thereafter. I'm assuming that there is a small wheel at the rear of the transmission that your clutch cable is routed around. When I first got the car, I kept that wheel assembly "squeaky" clean, keeping the wheel contour that the cable passed around spotless. After that first clutch cable failure, I've kept the cable/wheel assemply liberally covered in white grease. It's been 20+ years since that cable has been changed, and I no longer worry about it. BTW, make sure there aren't any sharp bends in the cable as it wends its way back into the passenger compartment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.