Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sticking Throttle, What could it be?
vesnyder
post Mar 18 2006, 09:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,933

I've done a number of upgrades and maintenance over the past week and now my throttle is really sticking - but it does not appear to be the cable. The throttle/revs stay real high and if I blip the gas pedal it subsides. It acts as is the throttle cable is sticking? Maybe it is, but I put in an oil pressure gauge and was wondering if I disconnected a vacuum hose, or reconnected them incorrectly when I was installing the pressure sender? Any ideas? I also just installed a clutch cable and thought it way be catching on the clutch cab, but it apperas to be clear? The easy fix would be installing the new accelerator cable (which I just purchased).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Mar 18 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #2

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

To much crap on the TB. Clean it off. And replace the spring there.
+Quote Post
newto914s
post Mar 19 2006, 01:58 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,663

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

and/or rub a little oil on the TB spring, had the same problem, pedal would accually stay a little depressed, and that cured it
+Quote Post
solex
post Mar 19 2006, 07:38 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,439
Region Association: North East States

I also had the same problem. I completely disasembled my TB. The main problem is that the steel throttle shaft is riding on the aluminum TB and will eventually get out-of-round.

Eventually I will take it to a machinist and have some brass (or bronze) bushings installed. But a really good cleaning and some good lithum grease has solved my problems for now.

Dan
+Quote Post
swl
post Mar 19 2006, 08:07 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE (vesnyder @ Mar 18 2006, 07:55 PM)
but it does not appear to be the cable.

Maybe lubricate the cable just for grins? With mine it was sticking like crazy. Detatched the cable and the cable ran just fine. Reattached and it bound again. Lubricated - it was just fine. I figure it was a combination of the bend and the tension from the spring.
+Quote Post
norustscott
post Mar 19 2006, 04:02 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,163

ok, one clue...you recently replaced the clustch cable. It is really eacy to install the cable and end up with it twisted around the throttle cable. Ask me how I know....(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

Here is a test. operate the clutch in and out. watch the throttle pedal very carfully. Did it move? at all? if so, I suspect that it is wrappped in the center tunnel.

I suspect the blip motion of the throttle is enough to break the slight amount of friction that exists.

Another question. Is the pedal harder to depress now than before the clutch cable install? if yes then I would go there first...

Let us know how it turns out.

Good luck. Scott
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Mar 19 2006, 06:24 PM
Post #7

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE (norustscott @ Mar 19 2006, 05:02 PM)
It is really eacy to install the cable and end up with it twisted around the throttle cable.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)
It is real easy to get the clutch cable wrapped around the throttle cable in the front of the tunnel. A good indication of this is if the engine revs when the clutch is depressed.
The other common source of your problem is swollen pedal bushings from a leaky master cylinder.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Mar 19 2006, 06:29 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I vote pedal bushings. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
vesnyder
post Mar 20 2006, 09:43 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,933

It ended up being a really worn and old throttle cable. Replaced it and it solved my problem - that was after I got the new throttle cable clear of the clutch cable. I had many of the symptons discussed - but it looks like I am good to go! Thanks
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 09:58 PM