Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sticking Throttle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I've done a number of upgrades and maintenance over the past week and now my throttle is really sticking - but it does not appear to be the cable. The throttle/revs stay real high and if I blip the gas pedal it subsides. It acts as is the throttle cable is sticking? Maybe it is, but I put in an oil pressure gauge and was wondering if I disconnected a vacuum hose, or reconnected them incorrectly when I was installing the pressure sender? Any ideas? I also just installed a clutch cable and thought it way be catching on the clutch cab, but it apperas to be clear? The easy fix would be installing the new accelerator cable (which I just purchased).
alpha434
To much crap on the TB. Clean it off. And replace the spring there.
newto914s
agree.gif

and/or rub a little oil on the TB spring, had the same problem, pedal would accually stay a little depressed, and that cured it
solex
I also had the same problem. I completely disasembled my TB. The main problem is that the steel throttle shaft is riding on the aluminum TB and will eventually get out-of-round.

Eventually I will take it to a machinist and have some brass (or bronze) bushings installed. But a really good cleaning and some good lithum grease has solved my problems for now.

Dan
swl
QUOTE (vesnyder @ Mar 18 2006, 07:55 PM)
but it does not appear to be the cable.

Maybe lubricate the cable just for grins? With mine it was sticking like crazy. Detatched the cable and the cable ran just fine. Reattached and it bound again. Lubricated - it was just fine. I figure it was a combination of the bend and the tension from the spring.
norustscott
ok, one clue...you recently replaced the clustch cable. It is really eacy to install the cable and end up with it twisted around the throttle cable. Ask me how I know....wink.gif

Here is a test. operate the clutch in and out. watch the throttle pedal very carfully. Did it move? at all? if so, I suspect that it is wrappped in the center tunnel.

I suspect the blip motion of the throttle is enough to break the slight amount of friction that exists.

Another question. Is the pedal harder to depress now than before the clutch cable install? if yes then I would go there first...

Let us know how it turns out.

Good luck. Scott
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (norustscott @ Mar 19 2006, 05:02 PM)
It is really eacy to install the cable and end up with it twisted around the throttle cable.

agree.gif
It is real easy to get the clutch cable wrapped around the throttle cable in the front of the tunnel. A good indication of this is if the engine revs when the clutch is depressed.
The other common source of your problem is swollen pedal bushings from a leaky master cylinder.
McMark
I vote pedal bushings. biggrin.gif
vesnyder
It ended up being a really worn and old throttle cable. Replaced it and it solved my problem - that was after I got the new throttle cable clear of the clutch cable. I had many of the symptons discussed - but it looks like I am good to go! Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.