Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Transaxle choices, Choices and questions for V8 swaps
NoPorsche
post Sep 11 2003, 12:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,144

Hi,

I am new here, and looking for information on transaxles for a mid-engined Chevy V8 swap.

I guess i should first say that the vehicle will not be a Porsche, but the Porsche transaxles seem to be the best choice (cost vs. strength). Therefore, trans length and CV joint strength shouldn't be issues.

Some places (Renegade) rate the transaxles based on engine HP, not torque. Others (PowerHaus) stated that the 901 and 915 were bad choices, and go with a 930 as a minimum.

Budget is an important factor, but I realize any choices are going to be expensive (clutch/flywheel/adapters/starter/cable shifter/etc are probably going to cost over $2K alone).

I have pretty much ruled out a 901, and budget-wise, I am leaning toward the 915 or 930 boxes.

This will not be a race car, but maybe used for so uncompetative racing (like to try AX), but I'd still like to have enough power for quick accelaration (sub-13 second 1/4 mile) in a 2500+ pound car. I am thinking of a mild 350 engine, maybe minimizing low-end torque if needed for trans longevity.

realistically, what can a decent 915 and 930 handle? I have heard that the 930 is stronger and gear ratios better suited to V8s, but more expensive. Are the 930s in ALL 911 Turbos?

How difficult is the process of flipping ring gears? Is it straight-forward, clearance the case and reinsert carrier backwards and set-up the gears?

I am thinking about buying a core locally for chassis mock-ups, and wouldn't mind trying the flip the gear myself (lots of assembly experience but not too much fabrication experience yet).

Any places I can buy a cable shifter setup (Only found one through Renegade)?

If I wanted to use a hydraulically operated clutch release (as opposed to the cable), which trans would be a better choice?

Any ideas on the prices of the whole package (including cores)?

Anyone else thats good at this work (I have heard of Brad, and plan to get in touch when the project is more real, just on the drawing board right now).

Anything else anybody could add?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 09:21 PM