Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transaxle choices
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NoPorsche
Hi,

I am new here, and looking for information on transaxles for a mid-engined Chevy V8 swap.

I guess i should first say that the vehicle will not be a Porsche, but the Porsche transaxles seem to be the best choice (cost vs. strength). Therefore, trans length and CV joint strength shouldn't be issues.

Some places (Renegade) rate the transaxles based on engine HP, not torque. Others (PowerHaus) stated that the 901 and 915 were bad choices, and go with a 930 as a minimum.

Budget is an important factor, but I realize any choices are going to be expensive (clutch/flywheel/adapters/starter/cable shifter/etc are probably going to cost over $2K alone).

I have pretty much ruled out a 901, and budget-wise, I am leaning toward the 915 or 930 boxes.

This will not be a race car, but maybe used for so uncompetative racing (like to try AX), but I'd still like to have enough power for quick accelaration (sub-13 second 1/4 mile) in a 2500+ pound car. I am thinking of a mild 350 engine, maybe minimizing low-end torque if needed for trans longevity.

realistically, what can a decent 915 and 930 handle? I have heard that the 930 is stronger and gear ratios better suited to V8s, but more expensive. Are the 930s in ALL 911 Turbos?

How difficult is the process of flipping ring gears? Is it straight-forward, clearance the case and reinsert carrier backwards and set-up the gears?

I am thinking about buying a core locally for chassis mock-ups, and wouldn't mind trying the flip the gear myself (lots of assembly experience but not too much fabrication experience yet).

Any places I can buy a cable shifter setup (Only found one through Renegade)?

If I wanted to use a hydraulically operated clutch release (as opposed to the cable), which trans would be a better choice?

Any ideas on the prices of the whole package (including cores)?

Anyone else thats good at this work (I have heard of Brad, and plan to get in touch when the project is more real, just on the drawing board right now).

Anything else anybody could add?
Brad Roberts
930 box all the way. Dont even stop to think about the 915. The biggest headache with the 930 box in a mid engine config... shift linkage.. I'm not too fond of cable and we really dont have anything out there for the box that works "great". For ease of install.. run the cable setup.

How difficult is the process of flipping ring gears? Is it straight-forward, clearance the case and reinsert carrier backwards and set-up the gears?

See this link for the last 930 box I did.

Unless you have access to CNC's/Bridgeport/ and R+P setup tools.. you wont be doing it yourself. Check out my pics in the above hyper link. The 930 case doesnt have room for the ring gear on the other side of the case. You have to cut a hole in the case and make a patch inside the bellhousing for it. Not easy. You also have turn down the thickness of the ring gear and the bolts that hold it on.

If you looking for cheap... 915 is the way to go... but the ratios are not correct. The 930 box is like driving a 67 Muncie 4 speed Camaro.

B
NoPorsche
Thanks Brad...

In that other post you linked too (April 2003?), you mentioned:

1. Average used tranny price is: 750$-1000$ without LSD (most Turbo owners yank them out and install a 915) so shops have then sitting around.

2. We can flip them for 800$ plus whatever parts the tranny needs for a rebuild.

~$1600-~$1800 + rebuild + LSD (if desired)... That really doesn't sound like a bad price compared to a 915. Cheaper core price, but extra for machining, BUT stronger trans... Whats the catch, what am I missing?

And your from Novato? Pretty much local (would save me from shipping charges?), so I am definitely interested in using your services if this project ever gets off the ground).

I am thinking the conversion parts should be similar to the 915 parts. (Flywheel/clutch/adapter/etc), and I'd need a shifter for either case...

You also mentioned a shifter for mid-engined 930s coming out soon. Any news? prices? Any other choices for cable? Thought of trying to convert a stock Porsche set-up, but figured cable would be easier... Renegade offers cable shifters for $650 and up. Just wanted to know if there is any competition out there (haven't found any on the web)...

Do you know the gear ratios and final ratio for the 930? I kind of wanted an Overdrive, but mainly to keep the RPMs down when just cruising the highway.

About how much does a Hydraulic clutch release set-ups cost for the 930?

Is there anything else I might be missing?
Dave_Darling
On the cable shifter setup, I believe that Patrick Motorsports ( http://www.patrickmotorsports.com ) sells one.

I also know people who have home-brewed it. I think it was Eric Tischer who did a homebrew cable-shifter for his Scooby-engine'd 914. (Was it a Scooby trans? I forget!!)
Aah Google to the rescue!!
http://www.etischer.com/914xt6.html

--DD
mike_the_man
What kind of car are you building? Not a Porsche, but still mid engine, so it must be something cool. As far as shift cables go, my roommate used shift cables out of an Omni, I think, in his Lotus Europa. Seems to work really good. I could find out some more about it if you'd like. I know that it was cheap, $20 or so from a junk yard, then some fabrication required.
andys
Brad,

Since there is work involved with the 915/930/G50 (some a lot), have you perhaps looked at any other transaxles for the 914V8 like the Audi Getrag 016, 01E, 012, or Renault UN-1? The Renault has very good ratios for a V8 application, and is successfully used by a lot of GT40 replicas in Europe (even for track use). The Eagle Medallion used it in the US.

Andy
Brad Roberts
Andy,

I knew about the Renault gear boxes in the Gt40 replica's.. I did not know that they where sold in a car that we have access to.

No Porsche..

Hit the WWW link at the bottom of my post and contact me Monday sometime after noon.

I'm slammed right before going out of town...

B
NoPorsche
Mike,

The car I am planning is a "Late" Chevy Corvair (1965-1969 body style).

Sorry, I happen to like the 60's American cars (have a few), and I like the styling of these, and I want a unique car. I attend alot of car shows (mostly older street rods and pre-1972 cars), and I rarely see any Corvairs, plus the added "exotic" nature of a Mid-engine V8 powered car just seems to be what I want right now. Plus Corvairs are relatively inexpensive (compared to most classic cars nowdays), and Chevy built literally Millions, so lots of parts available. So they make an ideal project for me, but the original air-cooled, rear mounted 6-cylinder doesn't have enough power for me (I currently drive a Chevelle convertible with a 396 (6.6 litres) with dual 4-barrel carburetors and a 5-speed).

There are several kits for converting Corvairs over to mid-engined V8 power, but the two most popular (and only readily available setups) rely on using the stock Corvair differential and transmission (usually considered a transaxle, but the two pieces are actually separate). Aside from the lack of strength of the small differential (probably similar to a 901 box in that mild V8 use will work for a while), there are two other deficiancies I can think of:

1) There is a lack of performance parts (LSDs, ring and pinions, etc)

2)lack of lag room.

The typical mid-engined Corvair setups place the transmission portion BETWEEN the differential and the engine. This places the engine further forward than I would like. Regular seats can still be used, but I couldn't stretch my legs out. I think the rear of the engine is about 21+ inches ahead of the axle centerline, much further than with the Porsche transaxle.

The Porsche is an obvious choice due to the availability of adapters, beter durability, and the knowledge of many who have used the combo before, etc.

Thanks to all...

Brad, I will email you. I am in no hurry, so take your time in responding...

thansk again,

Tony
Brad Roberts
Hum.. now that I know what the project is..

What size wheels and tires ??

I'm thinking upside down G50 5 speed (I have everything you need in stock for that tranny) and a hydraulic clutch would be easier to make work. It would also be a tad cheaper in the long run. Porsche tuners have been putting 600-700 HP thru G50's without failures.

G50 good tranny (no work needed except install of LSD) 1500$ I have the adapter plate (200$)

Lets chat on Monday. I gave you something else to chew on over the weekend.

B
NoPorsche
Brad,

Thanks. I emailed you, but I DO NOT expect a reply quickly, because I know you are busy.

I am thinking about 17-inch diameter wheels with tire widths in the range of 315 to 345 for the rear...

I never thought about the G50 axles, because i thought they would be too expensive...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.