Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Car not getting gas ..., Runs for a few sec on starter fluid
vesnyder
post Mar 20 2006, 04:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,933

When I give it a few sprays with starter fluid it runs for ~10 sec then dies. I checked the fuel pump and it isworking OK (it's at least pumping gas?). It's a 1.7 with D-Jet. What else should I check?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tod914
post Mar 20 2006, 05:12 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

1. test the fuel pressure should be around 29lbs if i recall.
2. pull out the injectors 1 at a time and see if they spray properly/at all. put them in a jar when u test them so the gas doesnt go all over the place.

that should narrow things down.

* The Haynes book gives you info on testing the fuel pressure.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Mar 20 2006, 05:16 PM
Post #3

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

Oh man. Have you come to the right place. I've been fighting fuel injection problems for a few months, off and on, with a '74 2.0 D-Jet.

1. Make sure you have gas in the tank. Not trying to make fun of you, but I had this exact problem a week ago. No fuel pressure because there was no fuel.

2. Is there fuel pressure? I made a pressure gauge out of a water pressure gauge and a length of fuel injection hose, and connected it to the fuel rail where the cold start injector connects on the driver's side (this is on a 2.0).

3. Try turning the ignition on and go to the engine compartment and work the throttle. You should hear one injector on each side of the engine "buzz." If you're not hearing that from 2 injectors at a time (which two depends on where the dizzy is), your injectors may be stuck. Or you may have a bad electrical connection to one or more injectors. Make sure the plugs are tight enough to grip the pins on the injector, and check the ground wires.

4. Are the injectors spraying fuel? You can pull them from the intake runners, a pair at a time, and put them into small glass jars and crank the engine. It's easy to do this on the driver's side. If you do this, disconnect the wire from the coil so you don't have any stray sparks.
+Quote Post
vesnyder
post Mar 20 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,933

Ken - As embarassed as I am, the car was out of gas? The fact that I drove it into the garage I could not beleive that was it? I just installed a new gas gauge and it needs calibrated. Thanks for your help!
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Mar 20 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #5

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

D'oh!

Glad to be of help. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 03:05 AM